“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Review of Azul del Mar

Azul del Mar
Ranked #4 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Stuttgart
“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We stayed only in one night in Azul del Mar and wish we could have stayed longer. The property is really neat and clean and in one word beautiful. From the fresh pastries in the morning to the sound machine loaded with relaxing music in the tiki hut, it's the little things that make this hotel lovely. The rooms are not only pretty but well thought out too. A great bed, microwave, dish-washer, huge bathroom, aveda bath products and a nice sitting area. Everything you need. The 2 BBQ grill give you the opportunity to have a great barbecue you can enjoy in the hammock. You can rent a kajak to explore Key Largo on the water or DVDs if you want to watch TV. We preferred to watch the awesome sunset from the dock. Karol is a very gentle person and called us right away when they found a ring my girlfriend forgot in the bathroom. If you want to go to Key Largo you have to stay at Azul del Mar. For us it was the most pleasant stay we had on our vacation.

• Tips/Secrets — Get some fresh fruit and enjoy the sunset on the dock
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank lizzster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
English living in Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Absolute perfection. Words can say no more and only detract from the simple calm and elegance that surrounds this property. The room was beautiful, Aaron couldn't have been more helpful and the sunsets were amazing. Truly amazing. Having spent 7 days in New York it was the ultimate place of relaxation. Drinking chilled wine under the Tiki huts was the perfect way to watch the sunset. Truly Stunning.

• Liked — The stunningly beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Small beach and waterfront
  • Tips/Secrets — The only reason I say No way to kids and teenagers - i don't want them to be there when i am!!
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Suzy's
Missouri
Reviewed July 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and we loved it. Like the other reviews say, if you are looking for swimming beaches and such then the Keys aren't for you, but the Azul is the perfect getaway for couples! There was a family there while we were, but the other 3 rooms had couples in them as far as I could tell.

Mrs. Marsden was our host most of the time and she was so wonderful and thoughtful. She delivered pasteries and yogurt to our door every morning, and always asked us how things were each time she saw us. She also had movies available to borrow and watch whenever we felt the urge.

We would read our Bible every morning under the beautiful huts that the Azul offers. These huts also have cd players in them filled with ocean/tropical music and sounds and rope lights that are turned on around dusk every night.

We usually grilled out (brats, hamburgers, corn, etc) on the grills offered by Azul, we enjoyed our food and watched the sunset from the dock most evenings. It was peaceful and wonderful. Grilling saved us a lot of money on dinner. We did venture out two or three times and enjoyed the restaurants of the Keys as well.

The only noise we had was from the resort next door where some teenagers were staying.

Swimming with the dolphins is a must while in Key Largo as well! We used Dolphins Plus and loved it!

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank ArielD
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed in Azul del Mar July 5 - 9. The weather was hot, humid, overcast and very difficult to be outside. Thanks to Azul del Mar our trip was worth it! We called it our love nest. Our suite overlooking the ocean was simple but clean and comfortable. We just wanted to stay in. The surroundings were divine, tranquil and peaceful. We felt that we owned the place. We grilled fresh seafood at least three of the four nights that we were there and just relaxed, watched movies and just relaxed a little bit more. I highly recommend this place to couples who want tranquility and comfort. Azul del Mar is the place to be. And let me not forget how friendly and useful the staff is. You will not regret staying in Azul del Mar.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank ElbaBetty
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2006

As an all too frequent business traveler, I have found that I have become the harshest critic of hotels in everything from customer service to cleanliness. I can also honestly say that I have never written a hotel review despite many experiences which should have been revealed to the public. However, a recent stay at Azul Del Mar has encouraged me to review what was quite possibly the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. From the minute I arrived, the staff was solicitous and accommodating. The owner himself helped me get settled in and later helped me pick out a movie from their library. The rooms were very clean, more than comparable to many five star hotels I have stayed in, and the king size pillowtop bed made me want to sleep the weekend away. This was truly a boutique hotel which provided a boutique experience from the contemporary furnishings to the Aveda bath products. As I sat on their private beach at dusk to watch the sunset, I could not remember a more peaceful moment. I felt truly at home and relaxed in the beautiful setting they have created at Azul and I cannot wait to come back-this time for a longer stay. For the reviewer that preferred the Marriott, I must say thank you. This leaves this hidden gem open for those of us looking for more.

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2006

I'd not been to The Keys in ages and was hoping to stay at a charming boutique hotel that catered to adult senses and that's precisely what I found at Azul del Mar. Truly a diamond in the rough, with personalized service and an extremely knowledgeable and hospitable staff to boot. Accommodations are immaculate and the best part of it all is that I got the rest and relaxation I needed. Highly recommend Azul del Mar to anyone in need of a getaway and very much look forward to their new accommodations in Key West.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank MrsTaylor212
Maryland
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Azul del Mar for one night during our honeymoon to the Keys. We agreed that next time, we will stay for much longer! There are a few things that set Azul apart from other hotels:

- Great service and a wonderful concierge (they will always go "the extra mile" and printed out directions for us when we mentioned a site we wanted to visit in another Key)

- Special touches that truly set the hotel apart (We arrived in our room and there was a bag of tiny favors arranged on our bed, they deliver a light breakfast to your room in the morning, they have Aveda bath products and give guests huge fluffy towels for both bath and beach!)

- Full kitchen (Though we stayed for only one night, the kitchen was awesome. Dishes, microwave, fridge, sink - wonderful)

- Nice common area (There is a barbeque area that has a hammock for relaxing, a tiki hut that provides an area to sit and relax - with music provided, that you control - and a nice dock/beach area. Yes, the beach is not enormous, but if you are looking for a place to read and sun - it's perfect).

In all, I would recommend Azul to couples, as it is not really a family place - just because of the small size and boutique nature. But I would DEFINITELY go there again, and I am a fairly picky traveler! Thanks Azul for the great memories!!!

• Stayed May 2006