“Wonderfully secluded location providing fabulous accommodations.”
Review of Azul del Mar

Azul del Mar
Ranked #4 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
“Wonderfully secluded location providing fabulous accommodations.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful and well appointed secluded mansion property in Key Largo.my wife and I were welcomed by staff and provided a tour of the property and suite. We stayed in the Royale suite which is a delux sea view suite. The interior is professionally decorated and the views are absoultly breathtaking. Previous reviews stated issues with leaf blower noise, but we did not experience that whatsoever. A storm came in the 1 st night and by 9am the property looked pristine! I left foot prints on the beach one evening and by 7am the next day, the sandy beach was raked to person. Awesome location next to John Pennekamp State Park! The owners and staff should be proud of the property and services provided. Well done!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The property was beautiful, but our room was not...especially given what we paid. The room was supposed to be a "garden view" when in fact it was a view of a plastic tarp. A suggestion for the owners would be to construct a lattice screen and plant some things that climb and create privacy while looking beautiful and smelling good Our room felt like a concrete bunker. We were greeted by a dead roach in the bathroom (I understand Florida has a lot of bugs and would probably not have been bothered by it as much if the rest of the experience was better). The room also smelled musty. A "kitchen" set-up wqas provided - but no cork screw....really?

5 Thank Kristi E
, Owner at Azul del Mar, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
This guest booked our most economical Tropical Garden Suite and had asked to be relocated to another suite on arrival. Since it was Memorial Weekend and we were full, we could not arrange an upgrade at any price. Unfortunately they were not happy and it shows! Rather than address this concern they mostly avoided us during their stay and then fired off two rotten reviews as retribution – see “Disappointed” and “Disappointing” - they are both from the same couple!

That would be fine except that we have no plastic tarps on property, lattice screen is not our style and while corkscrews are provided in every suite, if anything is missing simply ask for a replacement. It’s an immediate fix – not a cause for complaint!

While Florida is typically humid, and we understand the difference between humid and musty, our suites have both AC and dehumidifiers to counteract this tropical maritime climate. Run them for a short time and the air quickly becomes cool and dry.

This suite also incorporates a blue sunbrella privacy screen behind which a private patio with its natural canvas umbrella, table and chairs overlooks our butterfly garden full of native plants. There is also has a bubble-jet Jacuzzi bathtub where you can enjoy refreshing Aveda amenities and while this reviewer was obviously unhappy, it remains our guests' favorite economy option.

Dominic Marsden.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Another holiday; another wonderful surprise. My Girlfriend, Irmi and I have just got back from 10 days in Florida; partly to hit a few beaches and partly to meet up with friends in Fort Lauderdale. And I so enjoyed our Key Largo hotel, I felt compelled to write about it. Please note that I do not do short reviews: I do very thorough, realistic reviews to try to help others. I hope the following helps you.

We started our trip in the Keys and when I went looking for somewhere to stay in Key Largo, I was lucky enough to stumble across Azul del Mar whilst originally looking for one of the more mainstream hotels in the area. As always these days, I went on Google Earth to check out the location of the hotel and was a tad concerned that it seemed to be sandwiched between other buildings and not far from the main Keys Highway, ‘US 1’. I am happy to report that both fears quickly evaporated when we go there. The neighbouring properties are a quiet dive centre and residential flats and Azul’s property is so large that you cannot hear Highway 1 beyond the entrance. We had spent our first 2 nights in Key west and then driven back up to Key Largo. My heart softened when we passed mile marker 103 and we spotted Azul’s little blue driveway lights and sign post on the opposite side of the road. From the second I saw the sign, I knew I had made the right decision. And when we pulled into the grounds, our hearts smiled even brighter.

It is a stunningly well-kept piece of land; the owner, Dominic, pays great attention to how everything looks. And remembering that first impressions count for much, he does a great job. He gave us the warmest of welcomes and showed us to our suite. I had chosen the largest suite- the Royale on the ground floor. It was so big that Irmi mistakenly thought the drawing room area was actually the communal area for all 6 suites; bless you my Darling. They say giving is far more rewarding than receiving: you should have seen the look on her face when she realised that the drawing room area, the dining and kitchen area, the bedroom with huge bed and the 4x2m bathroom were all for our sole use: priceless! It was everything I had hoped it would be and much more. It is literally 5-star self-catering (yes: there is no restaurant, but plenty of amazing eateries very close). It is worth noting that only 4 of the 6 suites have a sea view; two face the garden and do not share the same breath-taking views as the front four. However, we managed to sneak a peak around two of the other rooms and found them all to be well appointed and extremely comfortable; just not as big as ours. Our ‘Royale’ and the suite directly above have the very best views: and our Royale bathroom has to be seen to be believed. I went for a swim in the bath (see photos)!

And then there are the sunset views out over the bay, looking towards the everglades. I had planned our arrival to coincided with sunset and we were lucky enough to witness a cracker (see photos). Dominic even popped down and offered to take photos of us together sitting on the end of the dock. The bay was as flat as water can be whilst we were there and we enjoyed hours of warm swims from the private dock over the course of our stay. At night, the under-water light hanging from the dock attracts huge tarpon which cruise gracefully around the shallows. And if you move slowly, you can even swim among them by day under a neighbouring jetty.

We popped into the supermarket a mile down the road and bought a few supplies, for we decided to enjoy our breakfasts under the tiki hut at the water’s edge. To say that it is romantic is an understatement. And we even spent one of our dinners watching the sun set into the lagoon and enjoying our own light supper rather than venturing out to a local restaurant. But for the other dinners and a couple of lunches, we took Dominic’s excellent advice and tried the local eateries. And contrary to what some people say about American food, we found every place we sampled to be utterly superb. Their ‘shrimps’ (prawns if you live in England) are the size of small lobsters and if you like seafood, you cannot go wrong. And typical to the American way of life- particularly in the relaxed atmosphere of the Keys- service everywhere we went was exemplary. I remember thinking when I made our booking that it might annoy me having to eat out all the time: in hindsight, I can tell you that we actually loved buying a little food that only enhanced the adventure, romance and tranquillity of eating at the water’s edge under our own steam. Of course if you need to be waited on hand-and-foot, then this is not the place for you.

There is much to do in the area and two of the local attractions that we sampled were swimming with dolphins and blowing off a few bullets at the local gun range. Two quite extremely opposing activities I hear you say: indeed. We both adored spending an hour with 8 dolphins more than anything we have done in many years: it is an experience you will never forget. The guns were more my tonic to kill our last rainy morning. And if you have never fired Dirty Harry’s 44 Magnum- "...the most powerful handgun in the world that could blow your head clean off…" (Clint’s words, not mine), then I can honestly say, "…go ahead; make your day!" Just make sure you don’t have to use your right hand or arm the following day!!! Both activities are within a 2-mile drive from Azul. And should you love scuba diving- we do, but both arrived with left-over chest colds and so chose to do other things on this trip- there is an excellent dive centre right over the fence from Azul, on the west/left hand side as you look at Google Earth. You can head out to the coral reefs right from your own jetty: it doesn’t get any better than that and the diving out of Key Largo is excellent. I have sampled it on a previous trip.

In summary: we adored our time there so much that we even extended our stay a night, preferring the heavenly surroundings of Azul to a block of concrete in Fort Lauderdale. When we showed our friends the pictures of Azul, they quickly forgave our late arrival. I cannot recommend Azul del Mar enough; and with Dominic to meet you and look after you, it is a no-brainer. We are already planning to go back there next year and to try to gather enough friends to take all 6 suites for a long-weekend. It is a piece of paradise you will not regret. Have fun watching the sunsets- Mark.

2 Thank Mark D
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and must say we were disappointed. Our room smelled moldy and a dead cockroach greeted us in the bathroom. The only view was of an ugly blue tarp tied across the patio...hardly the "garden view" advertised. A couple suggestions for the owners would be to erect a trellis and plant some colorful, fragrant flowers that climb the trellis to provide privacy and if you advertise "kitchen" facilities, perhaps you should provide a cork screw.

1 Thank Skeld55110
, Owner at Azul del Mar, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Once again... this guest booked our most economical Tropical Garden Suite and had asked to be relocated to another suite on arrival. Since it was Memorial Weekend and we were full, an upgrade was impossible. Unfortunately they were not happy and it shows! Rather than address this concern they mostly avoided us during their stay and then fired off two rotten reviews as retribution – see “Disappointed” and “Disappointing” - they are both from the same couple!

That would be fine except that we have no ugly blue tarps on property, lattice screen is not our style and while corkscrews are provided in every suite, occasionally they can be removed by guests without our knowledge. But if anything is missing simply ask for a replacement - it's an immediate fix, not a cause for complaint!

This suite also incorporates a blue sunbrella privacy screen, behind which a private patio with its natural canvas umbrella, table and chairs overlooks our butterfly garden full of native plants. Most are colorfulful, many are fragrant.

There is also a bubble-jet Jacuzzi bathtub and shower to greet you in the bathroom where you can enjoy refreshing Aveda amenities. And while this reviewer was obviously unhappy, this suite has always been our guests' favorite economy option.
miami, florida
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This small hotel is a hidden jewel. We just came back from a great key Largo getaway. I live in Miami and cant believe I had not heard of this great hotel. I discovered it here on Tripadvisor. It is so clean, and so tastefully decorated, wonderful location, close to everything. It is quiet and serene ( I did not hear any traffic or this blower I read about)-- it was more than I expected-- we stayed at the Royale Suite. I will be back, and will recommend to friends!!

1 Thank ourkidstravel
Miami
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We just drove up to mile marker 88 for sunset and dinner and decided to stay as a pleasant gal at the bar gave us the name of this place. It was 9:00 pm and I called the Cell phone of Dominic and he immediately gave me a room over the phone!!! The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. Our room was the celeste and had a nice view looking over the grounds & water.
Nice touches to the rooms with linens, towels, coffee/tea products. It's like a little boutique hotel off the road!! We had a pleasant stay and want to take my husband up for a night!!

Room Tip: Didn't see any other rooms but we stayed in the Celeste and it was a nicely decorated, great bed...