“Getting ripped off in the Keys”

Snook's Bayside Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 135 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Iowa
“Getting ripped off in the Keys”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a run-of-the-mill overpriced restaurant serving seafood like many others in the area. The reason I've rated it "terrible" is that there was a deliberate attempt to overcharge our party of three that many diners might not have spotted. To a bill for almost exactly $100 there had been added a mandatory 18% gratuity bringing the total to $118. When I objected to this, the server said this was standard practice in the Keys and that I should pay the full amount shown. I then got hold of a menu which showed the 18% charge only applied to parties of six or more and I took the bill to the duty manager. Without a word of apology to me he told the server to alter the bill and remove this charge. Was this attempted rip off standard practice at Snook's or was it just this server? I shall never know but I won't be going back there.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“good live music”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Good food and live music until10 pm. Lovely outdoor bar and restaurant. Pity that it wasn't busy after 10 pm but it was still considered to be off season.

Visited November 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Terrible service but good food”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Bach in the Keys for race week and finally got back to Snooks.Great atomosphere ,they did a good job rebuilding this place. It is better than it was.I enjoyed my food totally. When the waiter Matt Finally got it right.it was finally It was cooked properly , good seasoning, good presentation. But it took a long time because the waiter could not get anything right. I speak English rather clearly. First he brought the wrong drinks then we got our appetizer at the same time as our dinners. But the dinners were completely wrong.The guy looked and smelled stoned. Jeez try some deodorant and eye drops.It took almost half an hour to get my bill payed.I will return,but I will sit at the bar.

1 Thank 875seank
“Amazing atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

To start the bloody marys were fantastic! then followed by the lobster bites and my very own lobster roll. Everything was delicious. Beautiful sunset, beautiful setting. Just perfect!

Visited November 2013
“Like no other, awsome”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We found this place by accident and were so glad. It was so awsome, the food was so good, I don't eat fish, but ate the Lobster Bites and was shocked they were so good. The cocktails were made just right and very refreshing. The atmosphere was so comfortable and relaxing and easy. The scenery was beautiful and that was at nite. I will be back during the day. The service was phenomenal, I spoke to 3 ladies and they were all very helpful, knowledge, polite and so very friendly, especially our waitress, Laura. She was the best, one of very few waitresses who really like what she does and shows it. Extremely friendly and so attentive to all her patrons. She answered all my question about the menu and sold me on what I ordered. She was awsome and I would hire her in a New York Minute. Thank you Snook's. Bayside and thank you Laura. You are an assets to whoever you work for, wherever.