“A good one-nighter hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pelican

The Pelican
Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“A good one-nighter hotel”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at The Pelican for one night on our way down to the Keys and found the hotel to be great for the price. We were only there for the sunset and sleep time so the room we got was super cheap and super small, but we didnt mind. The hotel is a friendly place and its a good place to watch the sunset, however any place in the keys is a good place to watch the sunset ;)
I'd stay again if im ever just in Largo for one night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aida K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Merrillville, Indiana
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great location right on the water. Rooms were a bit small beds could have been more comfortable but for a one night stay for six it did the job. Staff was very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank ChristieLee5
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2012

As a solo traveller I stayed here one night in the Pieces room which seemed pretty cheap, and I figured I would test it out to see if I would bring my family back here on a personal vacation. In short, the anwser is no. The place was tolerable for me roughing it one night, but I wouldn't want to bring my loved ones here on our precious time off to have a great time.

The Room: The room was a tiny 8-foot-by-8-foot concrete block room (there is a window in the door) cooled by a window air conditioner. The a/c has a lot of buttons, makes a lot of noise, and appears to be on the newer side, but in the end I was sticky and hot or sticky and freezing the entire time I was in the room. The bed was probably the worst I have ever slept on, and I travel a lot. Not only was the mattress flimsy and stiff, but the bedding was scratchy and worn. The bed is pushed up against the wall, so I would really hate to share it with someone else. There is a small bathroom with the room, with a 2-foot-by-3-foot shower. The water was hot and the shower was pleasant, though it was visually unappealing to see rust all over the showerhead, the metal soap racks, and the mini fridge as well. There was water damage to the sink vanity, to the baseboards, and to the bottom of the bathroom door frame as well, though I didn't smell mold. The internet worked well in the room, which is a good thing.

Everything else: When I hear sandy beachfront I picture sand sloping off into the water that kids can play in, etc, which isn't really the case here. There is waterfront access where you can put in the canoes, kayaks, etc, but the sand is practically in a sandpit off to one side. There are two docks to enjoy the beautiful sunsets though. I met two staff members, and they were both super friendly and helpful. The breakfast was ok, if you eat cereal like I do for breakfast. I think I also saw some toast and apples, and there is a Nestle coffee machine and juice, but that's about it. The motel is within walking distance to two or three restaurants that I noticed (Mrs. C's Kitchen..which serves breakfast as well, and Snooks bar/grill) and a few shops.

The bottom line is this place is ok if you are on a budget and need somewhere to stay, but it isn't nice, even though they seem to try to make it nice. I give them a B for effort.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms are probably nicer, though I didn't see them. I was pretty close to the highwa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank supercat912
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I came down over spring break to do some diving. I reserved the "Pisces" which was one of, if not the smallest room. The rate was comparable to other small, older motels in the area, but many places were sold out.
The room: This is a very small room! It has a queen size bed, but it is better for a solo traveller or a 1 night stay. It was far enough from the highway that there wasn't any road noise. This is also due to it being made of cement block, and that the only window is completely blocked by the a/c unit. The a/c was very loud- not noisy, just loud. There is a small glass panel in the door that provides the only natural light.
The room was clean, and had the basics. The bath area was cleaned daily, but the rest of the room was left untouched- the sheets on the bed were not even straightened!
The motel: Old style Keys, lots of little block buildings around the property. There are chairs and tables and lounge chairs around the property, so plenty of places to relax outside your room. The new "bar" area is a pavilion with lots of comfortable seating. There is a small community kitchen open from 7:30-9:30. There are only 3 tables in that area, so not everyone can sit there for breakfastthat was very busy when I was there... I waited in line 15 minutes at least just to use the one waffle iron. There are several kinds of cereal, packaged baked goods, some fruit, breads, a toaster, and the waffles. In the fridge, there is Sunny D ( why not real OJ in FL??), and whole milk. I requested skim or at least 2% but they said it would be several days to bring in. *Note to mgmt: whole milk is currently recommended only for children under 2 years old due to its high fat content!*
One morning I had to check in for a dive at 8 am, but nobdy showed up to open the breakfast area before I left at 7:50. I know I was not the only one with an early dive who missed breakfast that day....
The place does have a laundry, $1 each to wash and dry, just bring your own soap. They also provide a canoe and several kayaks to go out on the gulf. There is a boat ramp and dock, a great place to snorkel right off the dock. Manatees came by twice while I was there- once it was a mama and baby, SO cute!
The staff and other guests were friendly while I was there. There were people from all over- a family from Brooklyn, one from Sweden and several from other european countries and from the US.
If I do return to this motel, I would definitely get a larger room- one with a window- and call ahead to request skim milk, and to let them know of any early dives to guarantee access to the breakfast before the dive.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms map to see where the room is. Ask about windows!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SpanishParrot
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 5, 2012

fantastic small hotel, very beautiful, peaceful and clean.

Room Tip: the best are in front of the beach
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sabhk
Reviewed March 29, 2012

2 nights at the pelican, first and last nights of vacation. I have stayed here on a previous vacation to the keys. The pelican is a great value. Our rooms were so clean, made us very happy. Simple rooms but who sits in there room when on the keys anyway? Great price an lovely outdoor spaces to enjoy. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I've been staying here yearly since 2000. Several changes of owner have occurred and the quality has come and gone. The staff is generally nice, but making reservations is a crap shoot since they occasionally lose them and then you need to rebook. Communication between the hotel staff and you is a major problem and once resulted in me being unable to cancel in time to get my deposit back despite email and phone call attempts. My wife and I like the place, but staying there is not the charming thrill it once was. Quality has definitely declined over the years and they need to make some major improvements to the plumbing and beds if they want to keep people coming back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms by the road! You will NOT get any sleep thanks to the paper thin walls and...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple