John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park Campgrounds
OceanPointe.com
  • Pool
$198
$189
MB at Key Largo(Key Largo)(Great Value!)
$199
  • Beachfront
$191
$159
HolidayInn.com
Courtyard by Marriott Key Largo(Key Largo)(Great Value!)
$999
$169
Courtyard
$205
$180
Orbitz.com
The Pelican(Key Largo)(Great Value!)
$132
Seafarer Resort and Beach(Key Largo)(Great Value!)
$117
All reviewssnorkeling tripglass bottom boat tourno see umssea gardenrv campingkayak rentalsbath houseparrot fishcaptain dandive shopfamily vacationclamsthe upper keyskey westchristdeetabyss
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We went to the Keys the first week of August. Pennekamp Park was a pretty good camping site, but we were really disappointed with the rocky (sharp coral rocks) and small beach with murky water and tons of screaming kids.

As for the camp grounds, the spots are narrow, but adequate. There is not much privacy or shade and you are looking at your neighbors’ RVs on both sides. On the positive side, the spots have water and electricity, and the shower facilities are fantastic (great water pressure). There are also coin operated washers and dryers for campers. Be aware of the vicious mosquitoes and the tiny little biting creatures that can pass through the tent screens.

We went out for a snorkeling trip through the park and saw plenty of beautiful fish and various coral. It was worth the $44 per person cost.

If you can drive roughly 50 to 60 more miles and get yourself to the sandy part of the keys, I highly recommend that you make Pennekamp just a day stop for the snorkeling or glass boat tours.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank senobar_s
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We went to the Keys the first week of April. Pennekamp park was great, and my 2 boys ages 7 and 9 especially enjoyed the Aquarium/Nature center's many tanks and exhibits. As far as camping, the sites are very narrow with very little foliage between the sites. You are basically looking at your neighbors RV's. I was disappointed in our site which I thought was on the water, but turned out to be more of just a shallow, mucky marsh area. One cool thing though was the 3 foot long green iguana that came through our campsite! I know they are considered an invasive species, but it was pretty cool! There's not too many other places to camp in Key Largo, so I suppose we all just have to make due if we want to snorkel or dive the park! At least you won't be as disappointed as I was if you've read this first!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank FamilyCampers
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I'm a local of the Florida Keys and decided to surprise my boyfriend with a mini camping trip. The park can be rather expensive but it was a good way to get away from the hassels of life. The sites are small, if you have a large family i would suggest getting two for those with tents. The bathrooms were clean and the noise from the highway was very faint. If you are "tenting" i would suggest bringing air matresses because it is rocky. I would also suggest buying food outside of the park, its not very good and rather expensive. The workers there are very nice though, very helpful. I would deffaintly camp again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Keysgirl123
Reviewed December 13, 2007

Stayed here for 14 nights Nov 25,2007. Park is very nice and the campground is well maintained. sites are on the small side for motorhomes. main restroom is new and does have laundry facilities. park is close to grocery stores and other shopping.Bike path runs in front of park on us1. Beaches were just so-so. make sure you bring aqua socks as beach is more gravel than sand. Snorkeling and glassbottom boat was fun and is located right next to the beach.also have kayak and canoes.

3  Thank mneels
Reviewed July 25, 2007

Ok folks, its a nice place... However

the Sites are small... Shade is limited.... and the water reclamation system caused a sulfer odor about every three hours... our site also backed up to the mangrove swamp - the bugs weren't bad, but there is a lot of "wildlife" - raccoons, squirrels, iguanas, chameleons and birds that inhabit the area -

DO NOT LEAVE FOOD EXPOSED WHEN NOT IN THE AREA -
I also recommend taking the garbage to the dumpster after EVERY meal - my Boy Scout Troop forgot one night and we were very lucky it wasnt more of a mess....

Would we stay there again ?? - If they correct the water reclamation system problem - an absolute YES

• Stayed: July 2007