“Questionable”

Ranked #3 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Albera
“Questionable”
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Amoray for the last week of January, 2008. We stayed in room 4. It is an upstairs kitchenette with a sperate bedroom. The room was old but clean and adequate. My compaint would be that the only chairs in room were small uncomfortable wicker chairs. The table was a tiny flimsy wicker contraption. The entire set of furniture would not fetch more than $10 at any well attended garage sale. I have little understanding of the hotel star rating system but I have stayed in many resorts with various ratings. I suspect the room would be a 1 star at best. I would however consider staying at this resort again because I enjoyed the friendlly atmosphere it seemed to instill in the guests. We socialized with others staying at the resort for drinks and/or rdinner almost each night of our stay.

We enjoy scuba diving and were in Key Largo for that purpose. We did eight dives with Amoray. There was a reasonable amount of coral and sea life. Visabiltiy was no more than 30 feet. The dive boat is well set up There is however a problem with the ladders used by divers to get out of the water. They are on hinges and are lowered into the water when the dive starts. At the end of the dive, divers go to the ladder, take off their fins and hand them to a crew member and climb the ladder. The problem is that the ladder is not locked into place. That allow it to swing with the rocking of the boat. To ascend the ladder you must first put your knees on the bottem step. If you are unlucky and the boat rocks while you are in this position the ladder rises up and then slams down causing considerable discomfort to the knees. There is a potential here for some serious personal injury.

The crew on the dive boat appeared to be indifferent and bored. There was no attempt to create any excitement and minimal assistance with gear. They appeared to be wage employees simply doing their job. There are a large number of dive shops in Key Largo and if I return I will seek out a dive operation that is actually operated by the owners with the expectation of better service.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank Waterhawk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Finnish first
Nesbit, MS
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Friendly staff and very well-knowledged dive masters and boat captains! We booked a room with double beds and realized with a 6 month old and the in-laws that it wasn't going to be enough. The staff was great to help us find a room that worked. The resort is not your traditional hotel style, more of a bed and breakfast feel. They did away with the free breakfast, but they do put coffee out for guests. Divers, if you haven't been in a year, they require you to pay extra per person, for a dive master/guide to dive with you on your first dive. We arrived on a Tuesday with bad weather at sea so we went to Jules' Undersea Lagoon that was 5 minutes south. A little costy at the lagoon, but we got two shore dives and checked out their underwater hotel. This also served as our dive so we didn't have to pay for the guide!!! We ended up going out the following day to the best dive we've been on in years. The wildlife was excellent with lobsters, spotted eagle rays, nurse sharks, sting rays, turtles, and tons of baracudas! The resort has gear lockers that are secured at night, which was very handy. The boat is a hop, skip and a jump from your door. It handles up to 30 people. The ride to the dive sites is 30-45 minutes. Would recommend to divers.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Robo6
St-Lazare
Reviewed January 22, 2008

The ficility had clean decent sized rooms, the dive masters did not accompany the groups into the water. The pre dive info was complete and safety minded. The pre dive breakfeast was informal but plenty enough for everyone. The resort caters to divers so don't expect 5 stars but it was clean and pleasant.

However, do not forget anything there as you leave as you will be frustrated in all attempts to get it back.

I forgot a pair of fins, I know, my mistake, but I called them when I got home and they found the fins So I gave them my address and particulars and asked them to send them to me at my expense. They said they couldn't send them right away because they couldn't find a box to send them in. They said they would send them when they could. Since that time I have called long distance several times and e-mailed them regarding the progress of the shipping of my fins. At first the response was "I will look into it" with no call back, now the e-mails do not get answered, nothing! It has been 9 months, you would think that they could have found a box during a nine month period!

Well, if you go the stay will be fine, the diving great and the on-site service as good as the next place. Just don't do something stupid like I did and forget something there as you will have a devil of a time getting it back.

• Liked — steps to dive boats, clean.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2008

This our first trip to Amoray Dive Resort and we loved it! My husband and I spent 4 nights there and did 3 days of diving. The room was comfortable with a big fridge and microwave (great when you don't want to eat every meal out), and charming, tropical landscaping. They were doing a lot of work on the premises, keeping it nicely kept up and redoing some of the rooms.

The staff was great, especially Dan the divemaster and David the boat captain. The dive gear was in great shape and I think this is a great place, especially if you come like we did in the slower period after the holiday break because we never had more than 6 people on the boat, which made it really relaxing. Some other reviewers complained about washing their own gear--really? All you have to do is give it a nice dunk and hand it back to the smiling staff. There is a nice secure storage shed for your personal gear, too, which is great.

The place was a great value with friendly staff and we'll definitely be back!

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank Ericameria
Manchester England
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Just a short review to say dont believe the bad reviews about this place.
The staff couldnt have been more helpful, got PADI with Dan, couldnt have been better.
Office staff also V nice.

If you want to find unpleasant staff, try Miami

N

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank garff22
Santa Barbara
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We stayed at Amoray the last night of a quick visit to the Keys. Having looked at the assorted reviews, we'd chosen a different place for most of our trip. However, we had one night open and because of the enticing promotion on their website, "Imagine stepping from your lovely room or suite directly aboard a luxurious 45 foot catamaran," we decided to give it a try.

The place looks cute on the outside - more of an old Keys style with multiple detached buildings stretching between Hwy 1 and the water. A boat dock and deck for sunset watching are a bonus. Pool, canoes, and a light continental breakfast provided. (In high season, it looks like it could be a nightmare for the non-gregarious.)

Our room was upstairs in a highway-side building with a view of a parking lot and adjoining structures plus a glimpse of water. We were assured at check-in that it would be quiet. However, it proved to be anything but: night time truck traffic is non-stop on the only road southbound since Key West is thriving (an over-developed tourist nightmare, BTW, that's rapidly devouring its own charm). And late-arriving party animals yacking away in the parking lot didn't help. The room had a small microwave, fridge, iron, and TV (noisy signal). No hangers in the closet. Mediocre bed and linens with a distinctive bleachy aroma. Scant hot water. Tile floors for easy clean-up.

The salvation could have been that our schedule allowed a morning reef visit prior to catching an early evening flight; the night clerk said we could even arrange a late checkout to allow time to clean up on our return. Sounded great. Alas, after a noisy night, the boat trip was canceled the next morning because there weren't enough customers to make it profitable. They offered to arrange something for us elsewhere, but that wasn't really the point, was it? We'd imagined a 'step from our lovely room' and return to it, not heading a few miles down the road to one of the many dive shops we could have used in the first place while staying in a better, quieter room.

So we were left to 'imagine' a lovely stay, and we really don't imagine that we will return to this venue for another taste.

• Stayed December 2007
New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this dive resort as a part of a group and as an aside, I must say that the group was a lot of fun. The rooms were okay. In general we had no problems except for the few bugs that kept getting into the room. Food in the morning was simple (bagels), but anything more than what they offered probably wouldn't be a good idea either. Some people complained a bit about having to clean their own rental gear which some places do for you, but hey what do you want for what they charged. It was fairly reasonably priced.
The best part was our boat captain, Scott. He knew the dive spots, knew how to deal with a mixed group of divers (experience levels) and was always safety concious. However, the divemaster (who as far as I know usually accompanies the divers into the water, yet never got wet) sort of helped get people out of the boat and back in, but for the most part he didn't do a whole lot. His attitude was also definitely a sour note on an otherwise enjoyable experience, at one point refering to another dive shop as the "varsity of diving in the Keys".
I would definitely go here again since we really had a wonderful time and the place is very conveniently located near the center of a lot of Key Largo. There are several good resturaunts within a few minutes of the resort and plenty of dive shops to get new/replacement gear from.

• Liked — Great location and clean rooms.
  • Disliked — They need a place within each room to store personal dive gear, besides the tub.
  • Stayed August 2007