“We shall return!”

Sunset Cove Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We had a wedding next door at the Bayside Grille and held the reception and some of us stayed at Sunset Cove Beach Resort. Ours was a very small party and there was a spot that was just perfect, They had a much larger Tiki Hut, but had already been reserved for that night, so they can accomendate different size parites. Staff was very friendly and helpful and it is a pet friendly resort (the ring bearer was the couple's rat terrier). We had suite 10, which we used to get ready for the wedding and some guests spent the night there. This resort has an interesting setting with Tiki Huts scattered on the grounds. They also have water vessels for the guests. It is affordable and comfortable. We found it to be conveniently located for all our Key adventures and we deifinitely shall return.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TheBedels

Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed here from April 10-18 in cottage #4 and had a fantastic time.

The place looked a lot better than on the pictures posted on their website - a very pleasant surprise. On arrival we were greeted by Kelly who explained the rules (there aren't many!), agreed the two maid services (we thought that was enough for the week we stayed and towels could be exchanged against the old ones on a daily basis in the office) and got some tips for restaurants (mrs. Mac's two houses down - EXCELLENT!!!).
Our cottage was very sweet and clean. Only negative: there isn't a lot of space to hang clothes and the drawer unit had an unpleasant smell, so I decided to leave most of my stuff in the suitcase. We had a kitchen and even though it was a little dated it was fully functional.
The beach was just a few steps away and there was always a spare sunbed or chair. Clearly this is all on a first come first serve basis and I guess when it is fully booked you might not get your favourite spot. The free Kajak's and Canoe's all seemed in good order and so was everything at the beach and around the property.
Our daughter absolutely loved the "decor" inside the cottage and all around the property.
There is a small breakfast ready every morning at the office with coffee, juice, fruit and pastries. Other than that you are left alone and everything is very relaxed. All the guests were just there to chill and relax and everybody was very curtious when it came to night silence.

Things to watch out for: our cottage was nice for the three of us but I think the campers would be tiny and the cottages at the front of the resort are really close to the main road.

We had a great holiday and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine1968
Reviewed February 12, 2009

The Sunset Cove Beach Motel is Florida Kitch at it's best. The animals around the property, the lorikeets, and a couple of friendly cats make it pretty fun. The continental breakfast lacks, but when there is Mrs. Mac's Kitchen right next door, who cares about continental. We used one of the kayaks for a paddle around the bay and sat on the pier each night for the spectacular sunsets. I will definately recommend this place to friends. Don't be fooled by my opinion though. This is NOT the Ritz. - some folks need that, some don't. Go for ease, and this place is fun.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sjwhatisl
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I recently spent a few days at Sunset Cove. Some friends of mine had stayed there and told me what a great place it was to stay.

I took their word and booked directly with a very pleasant sounding person whose name was Jeannie.

I rented a car iln Miami Airport and found Sunset Cove easily and as I drove in, I was overwhelmed. It was like driving into "fantasyland". Tiki huts, stone or fiberglass animals painted to look real and as I looked straight ahead, I could see the Bay, dock and kayaks. I said to myself "Great choice!"

When I went in to register at the office, I got to meet the "voice" on the phone when I booked my trip, Jeannie, a tiny, exhurberant lady with a big smile and a great personality.

my cottage was just wonderful. There was a hand painted scene on the wall. There was a big tiki hut in the middle of the place that had a waterfall, tables, chairs etc. Another tiki hut had two hammocks in it.

I went to the office to rent some snorkel gear, and Jeannie was very helpful giving me coupon books and telling me where the best places to eat where.

The beach area had tiki huts, chairs etc The cleaning girls were very pleasant as they zipped around the complex on their golf carts, constantly cleaning rooms, always smiling at you. I plan on going back next year and bringing some friends.

Maria Wilhelm
Willimantic, Connecticut

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank musamoltm
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Where do I begin...we travelled to Key Largo after four days in Key West. We stayed at a nice Inn in Key West, so I guess that when we got to the Sunset Cove Resort it was the completely opposite experience! The resort is definitely unique. It's colorful - as are many buildings in the keys. There are dinosaurs, bears, zebras, gnomes, you name it all over the property (fake of course). They also have some (live) birds. Things around the property were falling apart or outdated though. There were a only a couple of lights lit up on the pier at night (most missing, burned out or broken). Lots of the couches/chair covers underneath the tiki huts were wet, dirty or old. One of the kayaks (out of 2) had a massive LEAK and one of the canoes (out of 2) had a broken seat. The staff was friendly. We originally booked one of their campers to stay in, but when we check it out it was OLD OLD OLD. The stove didn't work, the couch fabric was OLD, floors old, table old, everything was drab and dark. So we switched to a different camper, a newer one from probably the mid 90s (still old). It was fairly clean, it took me a bit to take my sandals off though. The price we paid ($135 a night) was NOT WORTH IT to stay in a camper from the 90's. We should have stayed in one of the cabins - those looked much nicer. I would recommend to NOT STAY IN A CAMPER at this place. The view of the water and sunsets were GREAT! I got some awesome photos of sunsets. You could sit at the end of the pier at night and see lots of stars. We did not swim off their beach, although we did see people swimming. The water is clear, lots of sea grass to explore if you have snorkel equip. NO POOL at the resort. Very QUIET and relaxing place. Low key. I had mixed feelings about this place - but I think it's because we came straight from Key West where we stayed at a nicer hotel. My top three things to do while staying at Sunset Cove --- 1) Drive 30 miles south on Highway 1 to Anne's Beach. Great swimming and spots to picnic. 2) Take a boat out to John Pennekamp - the reef and fish are amazing. 3) Go to a bar called Sharkey's (it's on the canal, across from the Holiday Inn). They have live music at night and awesome fish tacos.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ebremser
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Cove 15 years ago and had a very good time. Back then you could feed the manatees which swam under the pier and even get in the water and swim with and touch them. When planning our return to the Keys this year we asked Sunset Cove about the manatees and were told they still come by so we made our reservation based on that; needless to say, we didn't see a single manatee the four days we were there.

We reserved unit #9 for four nights, the bottom room of a 2-story unit. Because there were four of us, we needed the queen and single in the bedroom for the three girls, and I would take the pullout in the living room - no other units with a full kitchen could accommodate the four of us.

Rough Start - One month prior, we changed our plans and asked to arrive one day earlier and was told they would "hold it for us so no one else would reserve that extra day" which I took to mean we had it. Fast forward to our arrival day... am told after driving 12 hours from South Carolina our room was not available, that we had not reserved it, that someone had called that day and were given our room? I had called two weeks prior and mentioned we never received any type of confirmation phone call or e-mail and were told that was because the reservations were kept in her head and if there were any questions to simply call her (Sarah). The explanation we were given was there was a "hold" on the room and since we never called back to confirm it, they gave the room away. We were offered another room, but with the stipulation that we had to be out by 10:00 the next morning so the cleaning crew could prepare it for its next guest. I mentioned we planned taking a day trip to Key West earlky the next morning and wouldn't be back until later in the day but that didn't seem to phase them. Thank goodness Quad Kelly was on the job (Quad referring to not a triple caffeine, but a quad...) because she had the insight to go ahead and give us our unit #9 and she said she would apologize to the incoming party of two about double-booking "their" room, and she would put them in another room that had only a queen bed. Quad Kelly, thank you for your quick thinking.

Good Middle - you could get fresh towels and wash cloths anytime you returned your dirty ones, the rooms had all been updated since we were last there and overall were very comfortable. Keep in mind this is The Keys, and Sunset Cove is family owned and run by people like you and me - they are simple folk trying to earn a living. Overall, very relaxing, although the hanging/swinging chairs were no longer under the cabanas. Our two 14-year olds lived in the hammocks across from the office and the only restaurant we visited was Mrs. Macs (50 yards to the right as you exit Sunset Cove). They have hands down, the best key lime pie, and their meat loaf special is to die for - this is the real deal if you are looking for a Key West "diner."

Lousy Finish - One recommendation for the family owned and operated proprietors: You should occasionally stay at your own hotel to experience what your guests are doing. One family of about 10 took over the beach front cabanas two mornings in a row - sequestering all but two of your chairs and putting them under the cabana and laying their towels, floats and coolers on them all day then would wander off for hours at a time and nobody else could use the chairs or cabana (a comment to the office had no affect). Secondly, if you rent the lower #9 unit be advised that you will hear EVERYTHING going on in unit #10 above you - all three women and four children running around, loudly scraping chairs and tables across the floor, kids jumping off beds, and you banging on your ceiling with a broomstick at 12:30 AM having no affect; then hearing the four men from the same unit coming home from an all day fishing at 2:00AM emptying their coolers, leaning their fishing poles against your car (and by the looks of them you wouldn't dare say anything to them for fear of your life and no one in the front office after 11:00 PM), drinking beer and carousing in front of your unit, above your unit and out on the fishing pier until you collapse due to exhaustion at 4:30 in the morning. Thank goodness we checked out that next morning, and I didn't care that our doors happened to slam loudly several times while we packed up our vehicle.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank EastCoastTripper
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We arrived at Key Largo with no place to stay, and after checking some not so good or expensive places we found Sunset Cove. A room right on the beach, quiet, good restaurants near by, and a very friendly and full of info check-in person: Quad Kelly. All in all quite simple but clean and exactly what we needed for our 2-days diving trip.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple