“Best no frills fresh seafood in the Keys!”

Key Largo Fisheries Backyard
Ranked #10 of 141 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Key Largo Fisheries Backyard Cafe is a reflection of a laid back keysie style restaurant with outdoor seating on a covered deck. We offer a diversified and delicious menu. We have quality seafood at affordable prices. You can come dine on our deck or take your fresh catches home to enjoy with the family. We also have a seafood market that houses a variety of Fresh from Florida seafood. From Florida Lobster, Stonecrabs, Yellowtail Snapper, Mahi Mahi, Grouper and Hogfish to freshly made salads like Smoked Fish Dip, Conch Salad and Ceviche. We have it all!!! We also provide free tours!!! Call ahead to schedule your free tour of a local, working fishery. We are a family owned and operated business that has been in business since 1972. Come see everything from how we fillet the fish to packing ballyhoo to watching the fishermen unload their fresh catches.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was going to buy some fresh fish to bring home and cook when I came upon there outside cafe. They prices are great and the food is delicious! You order your food at a window and they call you when it's done. There are picinic tables right on the marina where you can look at the boats while you eat your delicious fresh fish. I love this place and have gone back many times.

3  Thank claireFairLawn

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had been trying to visit this "restaurant" for a while so we were very excited when we finally made it. First,I must qualify my review by saying that this is not a real restaurant. Rather,the establishment is a true "fisheries" retail and. Wholesale commercial fish and seafood business which has smartly added order and pickup windows and a small and no-frills outdoor seating area overlooking the boats for those wishing to enjoy various very appetizing portions of a varied fish and seaffod and typical sides menu. You help yourself and there is no staff nor waiting service. You're on your own.
My husband had a fresh mahi mahi sandwich accompanied by a very small portion of delicious cole slaw and lots of excellent french fries. I couldn't wait to have their "famous" advertised
Lobster BLT. However I was so disappointed as my fresh croissant certainly contained lots of fresh shredded lettuce, big slices of red tomatoes,succulent bacon and a spicy mayo which packed the sandwich, yet I saw no lobster. When I opened it I did indeed see it but found some unimpressive small and thin pieces of lobster, nothing like the chunky advertised photos. We are from Miami and have had lobster BLT's in the Keys and Key West which were superior in flavor and lobster content to this which was a disappointment. My french fries were crispy and the type you could easily sit and eat all by themselves but I don't think they were freshly home made. The ambiance was nitty gritty charming and laid back. So great. Yet though we tried to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the place and music being played, a swarm of flies descended on us and hovered over our food in a steady meddling way while we tried to shoo them away and prevent them from getting into our food. All the folks sitting outside had the same problem but some seemed oblivious to it and concentrated on eating their food, drinking their beer and laid back surroundings. Maybe the fly problem comes with the territory given this is a busy commercial working fishery business and its location.
We also shopped in their retail fishmarket and bought several frozen seafood items to go. That seems to be a very well managed and successful part of the business.The people were nice and friendly- though business-like which is fine for the wholesale and retail end of the business but not as "restaurant" greeters or staff.
The display of fresh fish was lovely, as were the shrimp, though the prices were not as attractive as those of one would expect for a wholesale fisheries that supplies Keys restaurants. When we got home I noticed that the frozen tenderized conch was labeled as from Nicaragua...oh well.
But I am glad we finally ate there and may give it another try. Maybe o just got unlucky with my lobster BLT.
This definitely was the type of rustic, no-frills and sort of rinky-dinky setting one looks for in the "real deal" Keys- yet clean and as comfy as possible- and this must be kept in mind as people review it. Hopefully next time the cook will be more focused on making sure that my lobster BLT is prepared as beautifully as advertised; and yes, with a reasonable and visible portion of lobster as the restaurant's star to the supporting bacon, lettuce and tomatoes...

2  Thank mikki52
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a must every time we're in the keys. You HAVE to have their stone crabs & their keep lime pie. You taste buds will definitely be tantalized. This time since it's not stone crab season we tried the lobster roll & that was delicious as well. It seems like they can do no wrong. I absolutely LOVE this place & you will to once you try it.

1  Thank TropicalParadiseGOOO
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Authentic old time style ( but new) Keys eatery. We usually stop by the Hill's Key Largo Fishery to pick up some fresh fish and a delicious key lime pie whenever we come down to enjoy a sunset, but NOW they have opened a " backyard eatery. " it's fast food at its finest, very clean and tasty dishes to boot. We had a mahi- blu salad , conch chowder, and cracked conch basket. So perfect!! The way it works is you select from the extensive menu on the wall and go to the window, give them your order, have a seat at a table, look at what the fishermen have brought in at the dock, or bird watch, and get your order when your name is called. My salad was huge and piping hot mahi was topping it. I took 1/2 home. Also we the conch was very fresh and breaded and served with coleslaw and fries. Excellent choice!! Their menu is not limited to seafood, they have chicken and burgers as well. Ps do not leave without trying their retail market. They make incredible smoked fish spread and the pie is made by the girls there. Joyce will take your order and Rigio is the chef. The Hills have owned this place forever and most restaurants in the Keys get all of their fresh seafood from here, need I say more.? Try it!! Great casual family place to eat

2  Thank bapmiami
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Best fish in the area!

We adventured out for a quick lunch before heading to the park. Totally delish, reasonably priced and just easy.

Try the fish quesadilla and the sweet potato fries. Oh, the conch fritters are a must as well. Wash it all down with a cold beer and put your diet on the back burner.

It will be a repeat for sure.