“Horrible Experience.”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed August 5, 2012

There's a reason this place is rated second-worst in Key Largo, although I suspect it's not long before it takes the last spot. It's an old, unappealing motel with the least comfortable beds I've ever slept on in my life. The "continental breakfast" they advertise is just a heap of cheap packaged muffins that you'd find in a convenience store. But none of this is necessarily a deal breaker for a place if the price is right.

The initial price on this place seemed right, and we weren't expecting anything above and beyond the very basics. Where this place really fails is the customer service. The owner has absolutely zero respect for his customers. When we arrived, he ignored our presence while the girl up front checked us in. When he realized there were two of us, he pulled the girl into a side room, whispered to her, and she came back to inform us there would be an additional $20 charge. We asked why, and she said because we never told them there would be two people in the room. Mind you, we weren't being charged for a second person, just for not disclosing the second person up front. Who the heck has ever heard of something like that? We explained that when we called, the woman who answered never asked us how many people would be staying in the room. After putting up a fight, the owner finally waived the additional $20, but he looked absolutely furious about it. I remember thinking at the time, "this guy has a really strange way of running a service-based business."

But the real kicker came later that night. After returning from watching a sunset, I pulled a chair out of the room, sat out front with a beer, and lit up a cigar. Now, to be fair, the woman who checked us in did warn us not to smoke... in the rooms. In fact, she mentioned it three separate times, and I thought, "wow, they are really serious about this no smoking business." At no point did anyone mention that the entire compound was non-smoking. Nor are there any signs posted. Is it written in the contract like the owner says? Maybe... but who the heck stops to read the fine print when paying for a motel room for one night? Is it on the website? Again, maybe. But we never visited the website. We got the number off tripadvisor.com and called to make the reservation.

So there I am enjoying my cigar when the owner walks by and says, "there's no smoking." I said, "Doesn't that just mean in the rooms?" He said, "no, the entire facility is non-smoking." I apologized profusely and immediately put out my $15 cigar... which did not make me happy. Then we return home from vacation to find we have been charged an $80 fine! EIGHTY DOLLARS! My wife called and explained what I've written above, and was basically told, "tough s&!t." I've never heard of anything like this in my life. The owner says below that the policies are explained to everyone. They are not. If it had been explained to me that I could be fined $80 for smoking OUTSIDE, would have really pulled out a chair and kicked my feet up with a cigar not more than 50 feet from the front office? Hell, if I knew I was going to be fined anyway, I certainly wouldn't have put out an expensive cigar! Apparently it counts for nothing to the owner that I apologized and put the cigar out as soon as he informed us of the policy. And it baffles me that he can't comprehend how customer service that horrible will affect his business.

Even if the customer service had been flawless, I still never would have stayed at this place again. But I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to write a negative review either. My recommendation, whether you smoke or not, is that you not give this place a second look. There are far better accommodations throughout the keys, for roughly the same price, with infinitely better customer service.

2  Thank ND91
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Regrettable this is a case directly related to our no smoking policy. All web sites we use explain that we are a smoke free facility. In addition, when we check in all guests, we again review our strict no smoking policy verbally to all guests and even ask them to acknowledge the policy by signing our policy sheet. We also explain that our policy prohibits smoking anywhere on the property not just in guest rooms. We don't want to charge a fee to guests who ignore our policy but sometimes when it is clear to us that a guest has disregarded our policy, and our other guests complaint about smelling smoke, we are left with no choice. Our policy sheet clearly states that if a guest fails to honor our no smoking policy a surcharge will be incurred. Our no smoking policy is for the benefit of all our guests to ensure a pleasant stay. We know all too well that if someone smokes, especially a cigar, the odor stays on the person and is carried into our room. We use the surcharge to defray the cost to clean draperies, carpeting ,wiping down the walls with Lysol and for keeping the room out of service for the duration of the cleaning process. (Our breakfast items include bakery fresh muffins which we wrap and fresh fruit, not something from a convenience store. Also our single rate is for one person not two.)

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you're expecting a resort hotel at a budget price. Keep dreaming there ain't no such animal. But if you're looking for a clean, safe, convenient location at a budget price then this is it. Sure it's dated but it is clean, comfortable and safe. I am a scuba diver and i needed to spend my money on my diving not a hotel.

The key Largo Inn gave me a single room at a great price and I was within 5 minutes of everything. All the services you need are out the parking lot to the right. Restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, dive shops, Gas stations and most importantly the town marina with all the dive boats.

The property is well cared for. It is obvious that they try hard to keep it as spiffy as possible. The building appears to be of 1950's construction. The furniture is 1990's and the carpets are well worn but clean. The bedding, towels etc are recent. The pool was clean and the outdoor furniture was plentiful and modern, think Home Depot. The parking is a limestone gravel base. Just like most of all the other parking lots in The florida Keys. So your car does get dusty. And muddy when it rains. Which happens everyday in summer. But again. You're in The Keys. Lighten up. Be happy.

I think that the negative reviews are retribution for the zero tolerance "no smoking" and "no pets" policy. They are very strict and they will bust you. Which I loved because I hate smoking and I have pet allergies. That was a big plus for me. By the way, my air conditioner worked just fine. And the WIFI was excellent.

I didn't see any bugs. The bugs stories didn't add up to a hill of beans. I did see the usual tiny little crazy ants outside. But they are as common in Florida as palm trees. Lets be real. We live in Florida. Bugs live right outside the the front door everywhere in Florida. And remember if you keep food in your hotel room. The bugs will find it and find you too. Don't bring food into your room in The Keys!

The little lizards you see running around are called Anoles. They are as common as the ants are. And they are completely and totally harmless. In fact encourage your kids to catch them. But tell them to be gentle. Anoles are very soft bodies, fragile little creatures. The Hawks love to eat them. It's fascinating to watch a Red Shouldered Hawk swoop down and catch one. However I didn't see any Hawks in Key Largo.

The breakfast was muffins, decent coffee, fresh fruit and bottled juices. Just enough to get you going on your way to the boat. And the staff was super nice. I don't get what others are saying. Over all I stayed 3 nights and had a very pleasant stay. It's definitely not the Marriott or the Holiday Inn. But for the price it is was well worth it. I highly recommend it for divers and travelers on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Well, you get what you pay for! I booked a cheap hotel for our honeymoon so we had more money to enjoy doing other things. It is very old and could use some serious updating, but overall it was your typical hotel. The place was very quiet, we had the pool to ourselves most of the time. The beds are very uncomfortable and rock hard, and the breakfast was just muffins, but we really only needed a place to sleep at night. I would recommend this place to anyone who is just looking for a bed to stay in at night, if you're looking for other luxuries i suggest going else ware.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This motel is definitley not worth the money I paid and I would recommend staying somewhere else. The owner is not all friendly and the hotel room was nothing to write home about. The continental breakfast was very disappointing. Look around for a better place to stay.

3  Thank Allison D
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

This is another case of a guest not happy with our no smoking policy. We explain the policy
to all guests at checkin and all our web sites explain it also. Unfortunately some guests feel
they can ignore the policy but when we find them smoking we insist they follow the policy
which includes a penalty. If they ignore us again or refuse the penalty, we ask them simply to leave. As you would imagine, the result is a disgruntled guest. We regret these situations but they are unavoidable sometimes. The marked difference in comments points the this exact same situation that happens periodically.

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We paid $192 for a two king bed room and got two full beds and a toilet that falls over when you sit on it. The paint is peeling off walls as well. The beds are horrible. The floor feels like its going to fall in from the second floor. Check in was until eleven pm and the person that took our reservation not only took it ten minutes till but knew we were coming from key west. Im extremely upset.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank hainesandassociates

This guest did not stay with us. They booked a last minute reservation through Hotels.com and
claimed they were told they had reserved two king beds. We do not have king size
beds at our hotel and would never tell someone we did. This guest has a problem with Hotels.com not us. They checked in, went to the room and then asked us for king beds which we explained we don't have and then they left with a full refund which we authorized Hotels. com
to provide. We did all we could for this guest, even staying one hour past our normal checkin time
(again which is fully explained on all websites) to accommodate them.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel is very cheap and you get, what you pay for. The rooms small, the breakfast a joke and the staff were indifferent. The pool lokked nice and were very warm, but not clean (a member of our party had a serious earinfection after using the pool, so be vareful).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Our property offers the best rates in our area by far and our rooms are standard sized, similar in size to the other properties. We offer exactly what we advertise and our breakfast items consist of coffee, tea, three different juices, fresh fruits and bakery fresh muffins and doughnuts. Our swimming pool is clean and safe, and the water quality is tested three times per day as required , there is no way our pool contributed to any problems as claimed. ( It is more likely people have problems with sea water and snorkling/diving in the ocean off Key Largo.) We explained
exactly what we offer to these walk in guests and they had no problem consuming huge amounts
of our breakfast items. Our staff is always available and friendly.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute. Hotels were full because of the July 4th holiday, so I took a chance on the Key Largo Inn. The many negative reviews were alarming. I think that people gave unduly harsh reviews. Some people write reviews that are flat-out mean, because they are shielded by anonymity. I will try to give you an honest, balanced review.

This place is old and needs a general face-lift. It is what my parents used to call "down at the heel." Some of the interior trim needs to be replaced, and it definitely needs to be modernized. For example, there was no phone in the room. I have a cell phone, but it's still nice to have a landline in the room. There are no outlets in the bathroom which made drying my hair difficult, especially since I wanted to do it behind a closed door while my sister slept. There is no ice machine. Instead there is a cooler with ice in the lobby. There is no flat-screen TV, just a regular TV with a modest-sized screen. Not a big deal for me, since I preferred to read and write Tripadvisor reviews. There is a complimentary internet provider so you can use your laptops.

On the plus side, the room was clean and fresh-smelling. The beds had nice firm mattresses. There were no bugs inside. Folks--don't come to a hot, humid area if bugs freak you out. You will encounter bugs. If you don't, then your hotel has no doubt sprayed insecticides. You either get bugs or bug spray. Take your pick. Note: DO use bug spray such as Off! or Cutters if you plan to be outside at all--especially in the later afternoon or early evening. I took a late-afternoon walk at John Pennecamp State Park and made sure to spray myself. The mosquitoes are fierce on Key Largo.

The attendant at the front desk was helpful and recommended that we eat at the Pilot House restaurant which was an easy walk from the hotel. He did ask/remind us several times about the No Smoking policy--indoors or out. I suspect this policy has ticked off a few people and may account for the vitriolic reviews. The place was quiet. I was glad not to be surrounded by noisy partiers.

There is a small pool. but I did not go swimming. I really just needed a place to sleep for the night and that is what I got. The complimentary breakfast is bare bones: some pre-packaged muffins; fresh apples, oranges and bananas, small bottles of orange and V-8 juice. I went mainly for the coffee, even though there is a coffee machine in the room. I would have liked fresh milk instead of the creamers.

If you merely need a bed and shower, this place will do. To be honest, it was the last day of my trip and I didn't have a lot of money. I paid $117 for the night which was on the low end, given that it was the weekend before July 4th.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank susan n
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. We pay close attention to all comments
made about our property to help us better provide our services. We
appreciate honest and fair comments.

For the record, however, all our guest rooms do have telephones, all
bathrooms do have electrical outlets (which are built into the over
mirror light fixtures), we purposely dispense ice from the office for sanitary reason and
similarly for hygienic reasons we wrap our bakery fresh muffins in
Saran wrap each morning, they are not pre-packaged. Our free breakfast items
consist of coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice and v8, fresh
blueberry and cinnamon muffins, plus apples, oranges and
bananas.

A key feature of the Key Largo Inn is its smoke free position which
includes the entire premises and all outside public areas. Since
this feature is unique in our area, we try to ensure there are no
misunderstanding with our guests by mentioning this issue only two times.
Upon arrival our guests will be asked if there are any smokers in the
party, then at the very end of our check in procedure we quickly
review our no smoking, no pets and maximum guests per room policies.

We offer our services at the Key Largo Inn to provide clean, safe,
fully functional accommodations and an economic alternative to the other, newer
full service resorts in the Keys that charge minimally $100. more per
night. Finally, we use an odorless and non allergenic insecticide as part of our
pest control program. We have 24 hour staffing at our office but
limit check in time to between 3pm and 11pm only to ensure the quiet
comfort of all our guests. We similarly close our full liquor bar by 11pm for the same reason.