“Cabin 9 fantastic”
Review of Popp's Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Popp's Motel
Ranked #13 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
“Cabin 9 fantastic”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was a little scared about some of the reviews BUT love it here. The hosts are so friendly , the room is great, everything we expect, great bed, large tv , internet , big fridge, very very clean, all dishware and glasses modern and clean. Was even asked this morning if I wanted shower cleaned. No ants., wonderful views. Only place we stayed at in Keys were the room was lovely and cool when we arrived. I would come back here anytime , wish I could stay longer. granted this is not a luxury hotel but it is a friendly family run great place to stay.

Room Tip: Cabin 9 great , i have not seen other rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Aileen S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Homosassa, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Okay, I've read other reviews and this place may not appeal to everyone; however, first and foremost Popp's is clean and that means a lot to us. It's freshly painted and the rooms have been updated in different motifs. The office is a bit scary at first with stuff around the outside of the office but that doesn't seem to have an impact on the rooms themselves. It's old and yes, a lot of the bath fixtures are original but we thought it was a very cool throwback and it was extremely peaceful. We spent only two nights at Popp's and unfortunately, the weather wasn't cooperative with good sunsets but you can't always have the perfect evening. The price was a little high but most of these vacation places are somewhat higher than average. It's more of an old fashioned motor inn, for those of you that remember them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank happyzak
Lebanon, NJ
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had a very nice, one-night visit here while in the Florida Keys. I had advance reservations and arrived at about 7:30 p.m. The proprieter told me that she would not be in the office but would leave my room key where I would find it. Sure enough, the office was closed when I arrived but the key was easy to locate and the room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this motel to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ChiefRQ
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Popp's for a major birthday celebration. We were attracted to the site and to the fact that the Bayfront motel had been in continuous family operation since the 1950s. We splurged on cabin 9, the one with the Bay view. Well, it felt a bit like nothing had been invested here since the 1950s, including the very old and toxic-looking teflon cookware from the 1960s, Our toilet didn't work, nor did Luke, the property's 3rd generation owner-operator. My sweet-tempered wife finally lost patience and "awakened" Luke at 10am insisting that he get a plumber rather than simply use the plunger for a 3rd go of it! He clearly resented the mid morning struggle out of bed! Sadly, we now call this property Poop's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RK1021

Travelers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nothing else available so we stayed here. it is old 50's Florida, very small shower's, window banger's for AC but it was right on the water. The one thing I can say it was clean so it will do in a pinch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim P
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My family and I have been frequent guests of Popps Motel since 1984. This multi generation owned motel is THE best place for rest, relaxation and the most beautiful sunsets on the private dock. Linda Popps , the owner and her son Luke have retained the Keys atmosphere by updating the rooms which are spotless, providing amenities in the kitchen , hammocks, BBQ grills and friendly , helpful tips for whatever your plans entail. There are bunnies scurrying around for the early risers, osprey in the trees, the beach is perfect for swimming , clean and a gradule increase in depth - who needs a pool ! There is not an on site fitness center but the ocean is your back yard with snorlking, swimming and many nearby places to rent kayaks, dive/ snorkle trips. Many excellent restaurants if you prefer as well as bars for nightlife . Harriettes diner is 2 driveways away, the best breakfast in the Keys, conch burgers and an array of wonderful homemade choices. There is a peaceful, serene feeling at Popps that has you relaxing the moment you pull in the driveway. I have always highly recommended Popps and taken friends there , everyone has gone back for more. For a true Keys experience, Popps is THE Ultimate getaway !

Room Tip: Any and all rooms are great, they each have their own unique decor that was recently updated.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Joaniebigham
san clemente
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We just returned from a weeks stay in Key Largo at Popps Motel. This was our second visit to this 50's throw back motel - our first visit 17 years ago! Not much has changed, the same beautiful bayside location,the same private piers just perfect for watching the spectacular sunsets and the same funky rooms. The second generation is now in charge and they have painted everything inside and out but have retained that special laid back Keys charm. We were in room 8, just steps from the beach. There are basically two types of rooms available-1 bedroom with kitchen and sitting room and kitchenette with bedroom. If I had my druthers I would ask for room 9-its a few dollars more but much larger. No need to go out to meals as the kitchens are fully stocked but don't pass up the chance to enjoy some of the fantastic little cafes this area is noted for. We walked just up the street to Harriettes Cafe for breakfast several days-be sure to have one of their yummy muffins or biscuits - truly decadent.
As you might guess I love this place-we have already made reservation for next year same time. A real break from the impersonal resort hotels-With only 9 rooms it feels like you have your own private resort in beautiful Key Largo.
Otherr restaurants to try would be Mrs. Macs and The Fish House.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends