“Too pricey, not clean, no sleep.”

Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Asheville, NC
“Too pricey, not clean, no sleep.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Upon entering bathroom, found a dead roach in middle of the floor.

Upon taking out the murphy bed for my son to sleep on I noticed the filth behind the bed. . Dog hair, dust, dirt and rodent droppings lurked under there. The bed was also broken and my son had to spend the night sleeping on an incline. It was a bit cold for Florida that evening and there were no extra blankets so I called the front desk and requested some. They came about 40 minutes later so we had to stay awake to wait for the blankets.

There is a bar just down the parking lot. It was nice to hear the music from about 7:00 to 9:30 however, as the night progressed, patrons of the bar wandered into our parking lot . This continued to go on until about 1:15 a.m. when I finally got out of bed and went downstairs to ask these people to leave or be quiet. That went well! A bunch of drunk girls and boys (college students) who think they own the world. I'm sure this happens alot with the bar right there so, I wondered, why don't they have a security guard there to ensure that their guests have a good night's sleep and to keep people from wandering from the bar onto the property? For the price you pay for the room, you would think they could afford a security guard from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. to control this problem.

The next morning while laying in bed I noticed my husband's feet were really really black on the bottom. He had recently purchased some new flip flops and I thought maybe that was the culprit. He went to the bathroom and cleaned the bottom of his feet. (see picture of towel). When he came out of the bathroom, he saw the bottom of my socks and said he did not think it was the flip flops but, it was the carpet in the bedroom. I wore my socks the evening prior around the room because, as I said, it was a bit chilly that evening. My socks were absolutely gross!! (see pictures). Obviously, the carpet in the bedroom has never been cleaned. When I used a wet wash cloth and rubbed it on the carpet, it turned black. I'm thinking the carpet needs to be replaced or, at least cleaned.

I decided to take a shower as I did not take one the evening before. Everything in the shower went fine until I got out. It appeared that the tub had been replaced recently and when I got out of the shower there was water all over the floor and upon close inspection I noted it was seeping out from the tub area by the wall where the plumbing was. I had to use most of our towels to clean up the water. Thank God the cleaning cart was parked right outside our sliding glass doors (blocking our view of the water) cause I was able to take more towels so my husband and son would have towels to dry off with after their shower and clean up more water.

When I opened the sliding glass doors to get the towels from the cleaning cart, the door was stuck and I looked up to see if there was some other lock for the door, which there was. Upon doing this, I noticed that the frame for the verticle blinds probably have never been dusted/cleaned. There was a good 1/2 inch or more of dust/dirt/grime all along the frame.

Several of our loovers on the windows of the unit did not work and were closed shut so we could not let in the Florida sunshine during the day. The "kitchen" is a sink and fridge and microwave. If you plan on cooking something, it better be microwaveable. The TV's are old as well. The towels had several stick-tights on them (those pesky little green stickers in Florida). You would think that once the towels are laundered and being folded, housekeeping would pull them off. The bed linens had stick-tights as well as human hair. When I pulled the covers back that first evening, there were several hairs and stick-tights lurking. The sheets appeared clean but, when they made the bed they did not even brush off the hairs or pull the stick-tights off that lingered there.

I just think for what we paid for the room, it should have been better. This place is in need of Hotel Impossible to come in and give them some advice.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the bar that is at the end of the property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Suzbaroo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Se stayed the frist night of our trip to the keys. The room we got was not very nice. Old and not very well maintained. The price is reasonable, however spending another 50 bucks or so is well worth the money. The hotel is located at a channel. No access to beaches. The sorrounding re is not very nice. A noisy bar was located close to our room. We recommend to travel further south. Bahia Honda has a very nice beach.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frodroen

Travelers are raving about these Key Largo hotels

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed one night. The place is next to a channel. Convenient for boat trips etc. No access to beaches. The room was old and not very nice. The sorroundings are not very charming. There are plenty better places further south. Our advice is to travel on to the keys further south.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Frodroen
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Since we were only staying one night, we did not have high expectations. However, when we checked in they asked if we wanted to switch the two separate bedrooms for an apartment with two bedrooms. It was awesome! Lots of room right on the marina, which was so much fun watching the boats come in with the fishermen and divers. We even saw the original African Queen which was filmed in Key Largo. The staff was pleasant and seemed very laid back.

The free breakfast was simple but good. It was also nice to sit out by the channel watching the boats drinking coffee and eating our breakfast.

Overall, great surprise!

Room Tip: If you have two couples share the two bedroom apartment, it was better than I expected. Wrap around...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nunder2000
Hialeah, Florida
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It has a great location, the rooms are a bit old but a offered a great price for March. Great service, friendly staff, parking for boat & trailer is included. It has a Beautiful view of the Marina with the sunset behind! Breakfast is included.

• Stayed March 2013
New York
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The room we were given had a living room with dining area and kitchen, separate bedroom with two room bathroom. While it was large and could sleep six with pullout couch and Murphy bed it needs an update. It was on the canal and the complex had a large pool with lighted and landscape walkways. The parking was lacking but they do have an overflow lot next to the restaurant/ bar but is far from the rooms

Room Tip: Canal view is better than parking lot view but you will be sharing the balcony with next room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed over a weekend for three nights to visit with friends who were on a boat at the marina.
The hotel was busy over the weekend with families that came down from Miami. By Monday, the hotel was very peaceful. They serve a nice complimentary breakfast in the morning with tables outside overlooking the marina. The staff were very pleasant. request a room overlooking the water. The corner rooms have room on the balconies for sitting outside enjoying all of the boat activity. There are several good restaurants with in walking distance, and boat charters and day trips available right at the marina

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple