“Perfection in Paradise”

Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden
Ranked #1 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We loved everything about the resort. We loved the privacy, we loved the ambiance, we loved the layout, we loved our bungalow, it was all just great. The staff even let us check into our room at 9:00 am because we had taken the red eye and we were exhausted!!! The staff was amazing!!! We had rain a few nights and they worked feverishly to make sure everything was cleared off and ready for our enjoyment. Tracy was wonderful. Everything she suggested to us was delightful. She is the perfect person to work with. She was so willing to help us with any little thing and so happy and positive and just fun! We celebrated my 40th birthday there and she arranged a birthday gift basket to be placed in our room. Just the little extra's like that was what made staying at Kona Kai a privilage.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Utah2thDr

Reviewed June 12, 2007

We are Floridians and we felt like we were in a another place. EVERYTHING was great. We missed it when we left and can't wait to go back. It was the cleanest place I have ever stayed and stayed in more expensive places than that. The staff is also so friendly and accommodating.

It is paradise.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pennstate1
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This place is a GEM! Wow. You cannot help but relax here. You feel so well taken care of from the smalles littlelest touches that make staying at the Kona Kai a most memorable experience.

No need for shoes here! You can walk the immaculately groomed grounds which are so charming and quaint, yet luxurious at the same time! The pool is terrific and the afternoon I spent there, I had the entire pool to myself. Gorgeous gate. Great chaises. And, a cooler ready to serve you chilled water and fruit for the taking?? What could be better?

What's better is the dock and the cottages. Again-- 'charming' comes to mind for every aspect. Our "mango room" was a quaint, beautifully decorated upscale seaside cottage. It was steps from the pool AND the dock. The dock has chaises and table awaiting you and it's all so inviting.

The staff was terrific-- top notch. Just helpful enough without being overbearing. We asked for some references for dinner and Ronnie was MOST helpful and terrific about the area. We stayed 3 nights in Key West and I would come back here tenfold before heading that far south!

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank Cory R
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed here for my honeymoon in May 2006. Before staying at Kona Kai, we also stayed in Key West for a week.

Kona Kai was beautiful and the condo was very nice. We liked that this gave us the opportunity to grill and cook our own food and take a break from eating out.

It is a perfect place to go if you want someplace beautiful to relax, but if you are looking to have fun stick to Key West.

Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank LovestotravelfromNJ
Reviewed March 2, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from our most recent stay at Kona Kai. We have been staying there for at least 10 years. We started just spending long weekends there and the long weekends are getting more like weeks, and still it is never enough time!
Joe, Ronnie and staff are so warm and welcoming and they do everything possible to accommodate any arrangements needed. They even accommodated a special request I made for my Valentine (my husband of 32 years) this trip, as we arrived late on Valentine's Day.
The property is immaculate and the grounds/ tropical gardens are beautifully maintained. As you walk over the little foot bridge, you feel as though you have entered Shangri-la, a feeling that stays with you for your entire stay!
We will return again and again, and it still will never be enough!

Sue and Mike

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank sueNyack
Reviewed December 16, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Kona Kai from December 5th thru the 12th of this month and we could not have been happier with our experience (unless any of you know how to improve the weather ;-).

The property was immaculate and the suite was perfect! The staff made us feel welcome and their subtle attention during our stay made us feel well looked after. My job requires me to travel extensively, so when I vacation I look for a place that is NOT the standard commercial resort. The Kona Kai fits the bill for me. My wife and I truly felt like we were at our own place and the serenity and beauty of the facilities and grounds made us feel genuinely privileged.

Highlights for me were the way I felt each time I crossed over their entry bridge into the property (like entering paradise!), the Zen-like groomed beach area, the ping-pong table on the beach (where I dominated all comers ;-), the gorgeous sunsets sitting at the Tiki Hut at the end of the small quay, spending each sunrise sitting in the hot tub, and cuddling with my wife on a lazy afternoon in one of their hammocks!

On the trip home my wife and I talked about the "next" time so much that when we got back we immediately booked another week for this upcoming summer. Can't Wait!

Thanks Kona Kai for everything!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank eiowen
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Having read the reviews of this property from a year or so ago, and from reviewing the website, we were expecting this to be the highlight of our trip to Florida.

More recent reviews had indicated that this might not be the case.

I'm afraid the negative reviews were, on the whole, more accurate than the positive ones.

First the good points. The reception/check-in experience was excellent. The gardens are very tidy. Our room was also very clean and tidy. And the pool and outdoor hot-tub were great too.

Now the less good points. The room was VERY small for the price we paid. The whole resort makes far too much use of concrete and block paving stones. I would not like to swim from the small man made beach.

The fundamental problem with Kona Kai is that it is simply FAR too expensive for what you get. If I was paying half the price I paid, then I would not be complaining...and I stayed at the cheapest time of year!

Key Largo is not the smartest..or most expensive of the Keys. I just can't see how they can justify their prices.

We left Kona Kai feeling it was quite a nice resort, but that we had definitely been 'ripped-off'.

So...check other hotels on Key Largo...we found another small hotel (which also features on Trip Advisor) which was just as nice as Kona Kai, but half the price. Shop around!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple