Having read the reviews of this property from a year or so ago, and from reviewing the website, we were expecting this to be the highlight of our trip to Florida.
More recent reviews had indicated that this might not be the case.
I'm afraid the negative reviews were, on the whole, more accurate than the positive ones.
First the good points. The reception/check-in experience was excellent. The gardens are very tidy. Our room was also very clean and tidy. And the pool and outdoor hot-tub were great too.
Now the less good points. The room was VERY small for the price we paid. The whole resort makes far too much use of concrete and block paving stones. I would not like to swim from the small man made beach.
The fundamental problem with Kona Kai is that it is simply FAR too expensive for what you get. If I was paying half the price I paid, then I would not be complaining...and I stayed at the cheapest time of year!
Key Largo is not the smartest..or most expensive of the Keys. I just can't see how they can justify their prices.
We left Kona Kai feeling it was quite a nice resort, but that we had definitely been 'ripped-off'.
So...check other hotels on Key Largo...we found another small hotel (which also features on Trip Advisor) which was just as nice as Kona Kai, but half the price. Shop around!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and operated by the same family since 1991 and a "Fodor’s Choice" selection since 2009, Kona Kai is a magical hideaway, teeming with the natural beauty of old Key Largo and hand polished into one of the most exclusive resorts in the Florida Keys. With all new accommodations in 2013, Kona Kai is reserved for adults. Offering highly praised personalized concierge service, Kona Kai is regularly recommended by leading travel publications and websites. SInce the 2011 addition of "The Botanic Gardens at Kona Kai," guests enjoy our gardens day and night; complimentary tours for all registered guests are offered by our staff ethnobotanist. Kona Kai is a classic Keys experience; the perfect alternative if you're seeking to avoid the crowds and formality of a big resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Kai Resort & Gallery Hotel Key Largo
- Kona Kai Resort And Gallery