This was my first vacation in many years and I didn’t know what to expect from a small, local resort except for just hoping to have a place to relax and get away. Upon entering the resort parking area, an air of seclusion and quietness surrounded me even though the main road was close by. The feelings were enhanced by walking over a small bridge surrounded by a carefully designed garden. Continuing down the walk toward the main office, you cannot help but notice the same kind of thoughtful landscape continuing throughout the resort in a manicured tropical sort of way. What a cool feeling! Later in the week, we took time for a tour of the botanic gardens from the on-site ethnobotanist, Rick, who was very personable, enjoyable, and captivating to listen to. This hour tour takes you to a whole new level of understanding and appreciation for the plants that surround you (this seemed like a quite unique feature for a resort). One other feature that stands out in my mind was the staff. The most friendly and caring staff I have ever come across. Everyone made me feel so comfortable and yes..relaxed! And yes, of course, at the end of each day the sunset overlooking the mangroves far off in the distance. Can it get any better?! I cannot get over how great I felt at the end of the week and how glad I was to have spent my time here. I would definitely recommend Kona Kai Resort, Gallery and Botanic Gardens to anyone who wants to get away from the rat race and appreciate the more subtle things in life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and operated by the same family since 1991 and a "Fodor’s Choice" selection since 2009, Kona Kai is a magical hideaway, teeming with the natural beauty of old Key Largo and hand polished into one of the most exclusive resorts in the Florida Keys. With all new accommodations in 2013, Kona Kai is reserved for adults. Offering highly praised personalized concierge service, Kona Kai is regularly recommended by leading travel publications and websites. SInce the 2011 addition of "The Botanic Gardens at Kona Kai," guests enjoy our gardens day and night; complimentary tours for all registered guests are offered by our staff ethnobotanist. Kona Kai is a classic Keys experience; the perfect alternative if you're seeking to avoid the crowds and formality of a big resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Kona Kai Resort, Gallery & Botanic Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Kai Resort And Gallery
- Kona Kai Resort & Gallery Hotel Key Largo