“Extremely Rude Staff”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Los Angeles, California
“Extremely Rude Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

We had alrerady booked our room, we were treated by rude staff who claimed they cant give us a king bed as its not available and our booking was not guaranteed. We waited 4 hours and went back and still nothing was available. They offered us two rooms, very small with barely any room to walk around the two FULL beds (who uses FULL beds??), stinking with lysol cleaning stuff and facing the street. We asked for a different room, we got the exact same room but on the 1st floor which was darker under the tree shades. Then we suggested we will wait until 3pm after which the King size bed we had originally was not available. My guess is, the King size room was not available at the horrible parts of the hotel and they didnt want to upgrade us to the other side of the hotel which probably had at least some light and no traffic sound. The hotel certainly was not 100% booked because all room types were still availble to book online but the staff insisted the hotel is 100% booked.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrooklyniteLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

My husband and I just came home after staying there this past weekend. It was a decent enough hotel but after getting home, we noticed all these itchy welts on our bodies. After doing research, I am convinced that there were bed bugs in our room. I looked up the bed bug registry and found that this hotel is listed as having bed bugs spotted. I just hope I haven't brought home any bed bugs. Its been 3 days back and we still have new bites appearing every day. :(

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sneeze16
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

The room (415) was on yhe top floor and had a very nice view. The bathroom vanity was outdated, and the bathroom was oddly shaped (door opened very close to the toilet). Some mold found around the shower. The bedroom area was much nicer (like they updated that and skipped the bathroom) with a very nice large bed, private balcony with chairs and a table, flat screen TV, mini fridge, overall nice.

My biggest complaint was the noise. We were there on the "off week" after kids went back to school, so they were doing work on the pool early in the morning. Sawing tiles, draining and refilling the fountain, power-washing the pool area, lots of maintenance. They started at 7 am, which killed my plans for sleeping in.

The on-site restaurants/bars Gus's and Breezer's were good. Good food and service.

The beach is very small and only 3 ft deep, with lots of seagrass.

Hotel staff was very polite and friendly.

One thing I hate is when housekeeping knocks on the door when I have put the "do not disturb sign" out, and in this case they did NOT knock, yay!

Overall, the location was great for us, right by the parasailing and snorkeling plans we had, but the maintainence and icky bathroom made me rate this hotel lower. NOT what I expected for a Marriot, but could have been a lot worse!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank FullMoonNurse
Brooksville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from 3 nights at this resort for our first wedding anniversary and I really cannot speak highly enough of it.

From the moment we checked in we were greeted by friendly staff. We originally had a double room overlooking the parking lot. Once we explained it was our wedding anniversary then we were able to change rooms and we were EXTREMELY pleased with our roomoverlooking the ocean. Luz was VERY helpful. Derrick took our bags to the room and gave us a voucher for a free drink at the bar.

Over the next 3 days we enjoyed the pool area (nice pool & hot tub) the beach area, Flippers and Breezers bars ( with nice food options, especially at happy hour in Breezes with the conch fritters and crab cakes).

We also enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel as well. All in all it was a great stay and we would like to thank the staff. We will be back again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We booked a more expensive "Bay View" room with Marriott central reservations for our upcoming stay at the Key Largo Marriott. Upon arrival at the hotel (check in time) they tried to put us in a larger non Bay View room. It was dark, musty, moldy, and dirty. We wanted our Bay View Room!

So, we were told to have lunch at the hotel's restaurant (Gus') and that the room (# 204) would be ready probably when we were done with lunch. So we walked to the restaurant and went by room # 204 (our room) on our way and saw the maid just got there and was cleaning the room for us, or so we thought. We spent almost two hours at lunch (which was very good, but there were a lot of ants in the restaurant) .

After lunch we walked by room # 204 again and the maid was all done and already down the hall working on other rooms. So we figured we were all set. When we got to the front desk and inquired about the room we were told that it still wasn't ready and to wait another hour or two.

We were very upset at this point so we just waited. Twenty minutes later a family checks in and we overhear the father asking if his room is a Bay View room and they assure him it is and give him the keys to his room... which should have been our room as we've been waiting. Another family checked in and they were also in a Bay View room and were given keys. We were left in the dust! We asked what was going on and the staff at the front desk still said no rooms for us.

We left and went to Key West instead! Never before have we been so blatantly lied to by staff at the hotel. Marriott has lost our business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank theend451
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed two nights at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Resort on a ten day trip down the keys. It is a beautiful property. Best of all no pets,. When we checked in we were given a second floor room with a water view as per my reservation. Once in the room I walked out to the balcony and discovered in order to see the water I had to lean way out and look around the roof of the Tikki bar which was in front of our room. We turned around went back to the front desk and requested another room.

Our new room was on the third floor in another building. The photos were taken from the balcony. This property has multiple building which could block the view from the second floor rooms. Call the hotel directly and ask about staying on the third floor or higher if the view matters. We had the hotel restaurant directly in front of our room. The view left and right were amazing. The giant fish head right in front of our room was lit at night. My daughter said it would give her nightmares for months.

The room is well appointed, a large bathroom, comfortable beds and a nice balcony to sit on. The hotel is quiet and noises do not carry.

We only ate on property the first night. We chose the small waterside bar so we could sit outside. The food was only ok the drinks were bland. There are numerous very good restaurants nearby. The best being the Fish House and a Mexican restaurant just down the road on the ocean side.

The pool area was beautiful. The beach area was nice but the water during our stay was not inviting.

Except for the view issue which the staff resolved this was a fantastic resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank clarkey61
Pordenone, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband, 20-month-old son and me stayed at this property on our way back from Key West and we did enjoy it. We booked a low fare (139 US$) for a "no view" room, so I did not know what to expect from a "no view". Well, in the end we got a nice room on the 3rd floor with a very beautiful balcony overlooking the gulf, even though the view was not full since we were opposite the restaurant building. The view was indeed very nice and we enjoyed a wonderful sunset, and took lovely pictures. I can imagine that the view from the rooms located in the main building must be really amazing.
The room furniture was pretty old but still nice. Only the carpet would need being changed and looked pretty dirty too.
The pool area was simply amazing. The beach was yes small and nothing special.
The staff was so super kind. They had prepared a gift for us upon arrival because of our elite status and everybody was so polite, especially the woman at the gift shop who gave me the milk for my baby for free and was so smiley all the time.
Overall a very good experience which I would love to repeat; I will not rate this resort 5 out of 5 because I had been in nicer hotels & resorts before or with a higher quality/price ratio, but I would for sure recommend this very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Courtyard Key Largo
Courtyard Key Largo
#8 of 19 in Key Largo
Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo

Been to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!