“Don't Waste Time or $ on Marriott Key Largo” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
North Carolina
“Don't Waste Time or $ on Marriott Key Largo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

What a disappointment! When you check this Marriott hotel out on the official Marriott website, it looks absolutely beautiful! Azure, clear water, beautiful rooms, beautiful hotel grounds.
NOT SO! The sand beach is on the bay side and the water is black, rocky, murky and so ominous, adults and children sit by the water in lounges and play in the sand, but there is no going in the water for fear of what is out there. The pool was filthy and the hot tub was broken while we were there and cold. The area around the pool including the outside bar areas were filthy also.
We went there for our parent's 50th wedding anniversary celebration, 5 families in all, and requested that we be placed near each other. When we checked in, my 75 year-old father (who is handicapped) and mother and my family were placed in the farthest building away from the pool and the rest of the family. They did offer to move my mom and dad, not us though and then we would've been left alone in building "C", so my parents also decided it was too much effort to move and stayed. I was so embarrassed and my parents had to hobble around. (When we initially made reservations through the Marriott 800# we stipulated the handicaps and their senior status and even called the hotel directly several times before our trip to also alert them to our parent's conditions, their celebration, and the desire to be close together. Our trip was planned months in advance also.) The rooms are decorated nicely, but are very small, cramped and the baths are old. The grounds look like they've been through several hurricanes and have never been properly spruced up afterwards, awnings were missing, paint peeling, etc. The restaurants were OK, food was good for the most part, service OK, but tablecloths, floors, seating and windows out to the ocean view were dirty. Not very appetizing. Nothing was as it was represented on the website EXCEPT for the snorkeling trip. The people who own the boat at the on-site dive shop were fantastic and that was the highlight of the trip for most of us who went. They were especially careful of the small children we had iin tow and that one experience was the positive for the trip. Don't waste your money on the jetskis, they are old and have governors on them so that they will no go fast at all. For the most part, I was embarrassed that I had been so "conned" by Marriott's glitzy pictures of a property that definitely needs some work and money put into it. Front desk personnel were not very friendly or accomodating and gift shop people told our children to basically get out because they were "wet" (they were caught in a downpour on their way from Gus's Grille, and did not come straight from the pool as they were "accused") Also very, very disappointed in the big machine that Marriott has become, their lack of attention to detail and their "customer care" response to our concerns. We spent allot of money on this trip and except for being together as a family, it was a total waste and embarrassing. Kathy from North Carolina

26 Thank shidette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Blackpool, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

If you are into fishing or diving this could be the place for you with an on site marina and a good location near other water sports facilities.

The rooms were very well equiped, clean and comfortable.

The hotel was let down by a bar more common on a rough housing estate than a four star hotel. When visited after dinner time it was strewn with half eaten meals and empty meal and drink containers. There was entertainment 4 times a week but not the staff to cope with the upturn in trade.

There is a small man made beach but the water is far to shallow to swim in as the rope barrier laid out by the hotel is to close to the waters edge.

There are great views over the gulf from bay view rooms. Its probably better to avoid the rooms looking out towards the road as it is a very busy noisy road.

Its not in an area suitable for evening strolls as its on the main keys highway and there are no footpaths.

8 Thank Worslesr
Key Largo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

This is a beautiful place to stay. It IS a resort. I has a great pool, a tiki bar with a bbq grill, a small but quaint beach and a GORGEOUS view. I stayed there for the 4th of July and the hotel had their famous outdoor celebration. It was right on the water - all you could eat buffet and drinks. The food was great and so were the fireworks. The people were super friendly and very eager to make your stay relaxing. The restaurants on site were VERY good and there's a dive shop right on site. I went there mainly to check out the underwater park/snorkeling and it was so convienient to get up in the morning and just walk steps to the boat. The snorkeling trip was fun but watch out for the stinging jelly fish. The beds in the room were EXTREMELY comfortable, with the fluffiest pillows ever. The balcony overlooking the water was so nice. I would definitely recommend.

• Liked — convient location and super comfortable beds
  • Disliked — price - it was on the expensive side
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank lacca
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Key Largo Marriot June 9-13th. The property is one of the nicer ones in Key Largo, as this place is for divers and very laid back. The room was great, balcony overlooking bay is nice. The beds are comfortable, and the walls are thick enough to get a good night's sleep. We dove most of the time we were down there, but no with the onsite dive shop. Our dives were with Diverscity in Tavernier. They are a bit more advanced diving wise, and much cheaper than "It's a Dive" which is onsite. The weather was terrible, as the sun only shone the day we got there, and the day we left.

The restaruants were really good at the Marriott, and rareley felt a need to go offsite for good food, although Snappers was a great seafood restaurant, and not too far from the Marriott.

One last thing, the hotel has no ground floor, due to the hurricanes they built all the rooms one floor up, which means you have to take an elevator everytime you go somewhere, and they are S...L...O...W.

Overall though, had a great time, and would definitley stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank dive2deep
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

I would consider myself to be a luxury traveler. The keys is not a luxury place, so I had prepared myself for this aspect beforehand. I was wrong. This hotel was luxury. I couldn't have been happier. The rooms all had dark wood furniture with granite trim on countertops. Bed was comfortable with white down duvet and lots of pillows. Our balcony overlooked the Florida Bay and was spacious. The hotel had a fabulous spa (although very expensive), a beach, a volleyball court, covered parking, great pool, and good restaurant. Everything was clean and well maintained. If this hotel met my expectations (even more than "met"), I would say go ahead and stay here. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Miamiheat1
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this resort, along with many friends for the wedding of close friends. I can't even begin to explain what a wonderful experience this was for us. It was very clear that the hotel had taken many measures to improve upon and update their facility. It was very welcoming upon our arrival, very clean. The staff were unbelievable. Not a lazy staff member in this house. They were so friendly and the waitstaff at the restaurants went out of their way to make sure you had everything you needed promptly. They literally went out of their way to make sure that the guests had everything they needed and were enjoying their stay. The room we stayed in was breathtaking along with the view. I still dream of the bed and bedding that I melted into every night. It was like sleeping on clouds, pure heaven. As a mother of two small children along with going to school and working, I have not been this relaxed in a long time. The wedding was absolutely unbelievable, timed perfectly with the sunset. There were, however, big problems with the reception. I think that's the one area that the hotel is lacking in. They had a catering hall built next door. The food at the catering hall left much to be desired. The fish was dry, the steak tasted like pot roast and half the guests were left without entrees. They only received their entrees as the other guests were being served dessert. Coffee cups were placed out on tables, yet only half the guests were offered coffee. The room itself was nothing special, as plain as plain can be. The food at the actual hotel went way beyond my expectations however. Everything I ordered was absolutely plate licking delicious. The bars were great, the bartenders great and they kept the bar by the pool open two hours past closing time (which sunset is way too early for a bar to close in my opinion) to accommodate our very large group. I know if we ever go to the Keys again that this hotel will certainly be my first choice. Upon reading all the reviews about this hotel you will see how much the hotel went out of their way to improve their facilities by the improvement of the reviews...

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank Genine O
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2006

We did not plan on staying at the Marriott when we arrived in Key Largo, but after deciding to leave our already booked hotel, the Marriott was great. The hotel was actually sold out but the folks at the front desk were so helpful and went through all their records and found one cancellation. THANK YOU! Our room was terrific--bay view, nice size balcony and very comfortable. The guys at the pool side bar are great and food was pretty good. We are not big chain hotel fans, but I think for Key Largo this is as much as a resort as your gonna get, unless you can afford Kona Kai, also in Key Largo or The Moorings or Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada.

• Stayed May 2006
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 19 in Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews

Been to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!