“OK...not stellar”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
St. Augustine, Florida
“OK...not stellar”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Felt room was just OK for price, nice location. There are equivalent accommodations on island with private beach, etc. for much less cost. Property was pretty dead the week of my stay but I still had to pay high season price. Toilet was broke, but fixed within hour of call. I wouldn't stay there again, given other choices in area. Restaurant, bar, everything was just average.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jamesnlindy
KeyLargoMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Jamesnlindy, we appreciate your feedback. It is never our intention to have guests feel as if they did not get a great value when they stay with us. We will work to improve on our shortfalls. We hope you will give us another chance to show you how special our little corner of paradise can be!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
New Hampshire
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Our plans changed last minute and we booked at Marriott Key Largo. We enjoyed our 3 day stay and have nothing negative to say. What a lovely facility. The ambiance was tropical, weather great and we could always find someplace intimate to settle. There was a delay with getting the room clean but it didn't concern us. With a 1 hr drive from Miami International...it certainly would be a great little get away!!! We agree with the previous post... Adam makes a mean Rum Punch!

Room Tip: Go for the bay view room!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motherto3
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Surprisingly, Marriott hotels and resorts vary widely in quality. In the case of the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort, management appears to be the issue behind this less-than-stellar resort.

Trouble started when we arrived at 2:00 pm and were told by the front desk attendant that, "your room will be available at 3:00 pm or later". When I pointed out that our reservation said that our room would be ready "by 3:00 pm", she replied that they were busy and that we would have to wait until housekeeping had our room cleaned. When I asked what would happen if, due to our being busy, we were unable to leave our room before the next day's 11:00 am checkout time, she said that we would be charged an additional fee. The irony didn't register with her.

When a room was eventually made available to us, the carpet was wet and there was a dank smell of mold. I called down to the front desk and asked to talk to the manager (who I was told was on the premises) and my call was directed to his voice mail. He called back - three days later, after we arrived home.

We only stayed one night and left feeling that, at a rate of over $360 per night, there are better choices available in Key Largo

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim P
London
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideal for parties with mixed intentions. By that I mean those that want to relax and those that want to be more active. I went scuba diving and used jet skies whilst my wife relaxed, sunbathed and used the spar. There is a small beach and pool with a good bar serving both. The staff are extremely friendly. The Restaurent was not as good as some I have been to but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nigel L
KeyLargoMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We wish for everyone to be able to enjoy themselves during their time here in Key Largo! It is wonderful to hear your family was able to do this! We hope you will visit us again here in paradise!
Center Harbor, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Marriott key Largo Bay Beach Resort. When we booked the room We requested a King bed, no smoking room with a sunset view if possible. When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to a room overlooking the pool. That room was not a king bed but two queens. When we inquired about the king room we were told that they were sorry but one was not available but they had "upgraded us to one overlooking the pool". Overlooking the pool subjected us to two hours of what may be described as music performed live at poolside. Thank heaven the "musician" stopped at 5:00 pm. We then requested a king bedroom for the following night. We were told that our request should be no problem. When we returned from Key West the following afternoon we were told that "they had been trying to contact us all day" to move us but at the late hour there was no one left in housekeeping to assist our move. At that point I was too tired to stand there and argue. Upon returning to our room I noticed that there was no messages left on the phone. Checking our email accounts showed no messages from the hotel. There were also no messages on our cellphones. BUT we did notice that there were still housekeeping people in the halls. I have been a Marriott Rewards member since the Eighties and have never been lied to or treated this way in any other Marriott establishment. So let this be a warning to all of you. If this Marriott treats it's frequent travelers this way, how will you be treated.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Richard G
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I ordered, Marriott Resort Key Largo we reached the hotel at noon The booked room, was small and facing the highway, I asked to replace him, I was asked to add to the rate given to me, the room which faces the sea and bigger, I agreed immediately without hesitation. After completing the replacement process, they offered me to send a cart to bring the luggage to the rooms, he asked me to get the vehicle to the building where the room and he will send the Bell Boy, needless to say that after 30 minutes of waiting, I brought the 6 luggage myself to the room one by one. The room was old, with worn carpet, broken safe, but we were tired and with small children, we decided not to apply for the room again. Unfortunately it did not end the problems, in the evening, the toilet was blocked only after several attempts loose filling, in addition, water flow in the shower was particularly weak.

The next day again same problem in use, but this time completely blocked toilet, the bathroom was flooded, I called reception, and about 20 minutes later maintains guy came and fix the problem (this after a full day we were out and all we wanted was to get into the shower and go to bed with the kids) I want to speak with Sam, the shift manager, and told him about What we are going without room, is reaction was " We have people to fix these types of issues, and unfortunately these problems exist…..)

I complained to the hotel and unfortunately I got from Key West Marriott letter response to my complaints, the text exists only where the complainant guest changes.
If you are looking for on their way to Key West, do yourself a favor, do not invite the hotel down the street has several hotels cheaper and much better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank oferred
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I was a little concerned about my wife's plan for us to visit Miami, Key Largo and Key West - with our three kids - during a seven day spring break vacation. Well, our two night stay in Key Largo was awesome, in large part due to the Marriot Key Largo Bay Resort. Nice, clean hotel. Superb location. They upgraded our room a bit on arrival. Pool was great, small ocean beach was very nice. My 16 year old daughter loved the spa. The food at the two restaurants was good. And there are a lot of activities you can participate in right from the hotel ... although we chose other nearby locations for most of this stuff. In fairness, I'm a Marriott Rewards Gold member and was staying on points, and had a gift card for my extras, but this is a great hotel for a family visit in an area not necessarily known for welcoming kids.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ed G
Ed G, we truly value your gold elite status and your loyalty to Marriott. It is wonderful to hear your family enjoyed the resort and the amenities offered! We hope you will once again allow us to host you and your family brilliantly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Key Largo
#2 of 4 in Tavernier
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!