“Smokers Galore & Sand Fleas Everywhere”

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My family and I stayed at this property in June and had stayed there in 2001 and 2003. It's gone downhill since our initial stays and should be reclassified as a Marriott Fairfield Inn or Marriott Residence Inn.

I spend 100+ nights/yr staying in Marriott properties, so they usually treat me well and upgrade me to some nice rooms. So, here are the positives and negatives:

Positives:
- They have nice sized rooms. If you stay there and have a family, ask for one of the two bedroom suites. These also have kitchens, so you can save a fortune on meals.
- Laundry facility is on site.
- Housekeeping - The maids do a great job. Rooms very clean.
- Great views, especially at sunset.
- Location - It's only a mile from John Pennecamp Park and about an hour drive from Miami International Airport.

Negatives:
- Smokers everywhere. Marriott has gone smokefree, but not at this franchised property. Smokers at the pool all the time, on balconies, and on the property's tiny "beach."
- No Beach - They call the tiny strip of sand a beach. It's not anywhere close. If you want a nice beach and want a great Marriott property, go to Marco Island, FL.
- Sand Fleas - These little guys bite and move around everywhere on the property, including the hotel rooms!!!
- It's a Dive - On-site dive company is mediocre. Go to Rainbow Reef Divers about a mile away. They're great and much better priced.
- This place attracts some seedy looking people from Miami, especially on the weekends.

All this said, if I was planning to return to the Florida Keys, I would recommend the Cheeca Lodge (sp) on Islamorada. We toured this property after having a fantastic dinner on location at the Atlantic's Edge. Very peaceful place with lots of great family activities. Would also be great for couples.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank WorldBeachTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed June 23, 2008

We recently returned from the Marriott Key Largo Beach Resort. I will try to keep this straight and to the point. I would like everyone to know we are not hard to please and have used Trip Advisor for many years to decide on our vacations.

1. Rooms are above average. All rooms have either a king bed or two queens. The two queens were great considering we had four people. The linens are very nice as well. Good quality and very soft. The beds have down comforters, with feather pillows. You can ask for foam pillows if you prefer them over down pillows. If you like a very firm bed, this is for you. The matresses seemed to be good quality, but very hard. I do have to say, when your on vacation you should be too tired to notice if your having fun, right!!
2. The bathroom was large with plenty of room for two people to get ready at once. They also supplied a tub matt so you dont slip around. The maid service left enough towels for four people. They also left "pool" towels so don't bother taking your own.
3. The maid service did a good job cleaning each day except the day we were there when they came to clean. I think they just felt uncomfortable with us there.
4. Room service is available late into the night. I don't remember the exact time. Room service (all resturants) on the property are very expensive for the quality of food. I don't mind paying alot if the food is worth it. The food isn't terrible, just okay.
5. The pool is pretty good sized. It is a salt water pool so your skin doesn't feel dry and tight when you get out. They seem to have ample chairs with nice cushions. Very little shade though.
We were dissapointed that the bar closes at 7pm. There is absolutely nothing to do except float around the pool or bake in the sun. I guess we are used to all the activity of the all inclusives.
6. There is a very tiny man made beach with water you don't want to get in. Please do not go the the Keys if you want beach. We didn't know that and had to drive to Miami to go to the beach...
7. The grounds are very pretty. The staff were very nice and helpful. The only thing that put us off was the room service waiter stood there and waited for a tip when the menu clearly states 20% tip is included with your bill so we didn't feel the need to give more.
8. Don't book a "garden view". The garden view is really the employee parking lot with a few palm trees on the far side. When we made our reservation, we requested a room by the pool. We were told no problem, but when we checked in, they wanted and extra 30.00 per night so we passed.
9. The air conditioning is the room can freeze you out...no problems there.

This is a nice hotel, but we were looking for more activity. I guess that's what the Keys are about. We also weren't aware they roll the sidewalks up by 8pm. We found it a bit boring. If your looking for a place just to lay around, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank elmorford
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Long time Platium member,Been to Marriotts all over the world, This Place Is Not A Marriott ,or some one in Management does not know whats going on here. I travel all the time; This trip was personal, The rooms are like shoe boxes, for get the beach the water pressure is like getting pissed on. The tiki bar closes at 7:00. One bartender that is also the waitress at Breezes.I think they spent more money on the web site pictures, then they did on maintenance on this place.DO NOT GO THERE; JW Would close this place in a heart beat, Bill open your eyes. I just read your book Spirit To Serve, Get back to Basics PLEASE !!!!. Thank God I have a contact at Platium services that got me out of here earlier then i was supposed to stay. I left Marco Island Marriott to come to this hell hole and i could of just stayed there, What was i thinking (must of been good marketing pics) got me don't let it happen to you.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sam713
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My stay at this lovely relaxing Marriott was WAY too brief. I booked it as an overnight stay on my way to Key West and wish I had gotten there earlier in the day to enjoy the grounds. All the rooms have balconies facing the ocean, but despite the "obstruction" of the large restaurant building the view is great. The grounds are well kept and appealing.
The front desk was friendly, buffet breakfast was great, and the room had fabulous beds with a gorgeous marble bathroom. However the Tiki Bar had very slow service, smoke, & eventually had to go to the bar to get a drink. The sand beach is skimpy but adequate, and the elevator was not working (we were on the 3rd floor).
Even with the faults, I'd consider staying there again to get my money's worth.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We recently spend a few days for R & R on Key Largo. Since we like the consistent and reliable service at Marriott Hotels, we chose this one.

The good points:
Hotel was conveniently located on Route One with lots of restaurants nearby. The staff was very accommodating and they worked hard to please you. The rooms were fine and, the bedding comfortable. They have a nice pool area and small (really small) sunning beach. The bar at the pool was nice and we enjoyed lunch there a couple of times. You can also hire jet skis and go out on snorkel and scuba (shop on premises) trips.

The bad points:
Most of the grounds are paved over and you find cars parked everywhere. Our (second) room faced the bay but the view was of a parking lot and the restaurant. There are very few rooms that have an unobstructed view of the water. When you make your reservation, make sure you snag one of them. The management squeezed whatever they could onto this small, narrow property.
Traffic noise was everywhere. Route One is a busy, fast four-lane highway. All traffic that goes through the keys pass right in front of the hotel. Since the buildings are raised, (with parking underneath), the sound goes right through. Between the din of traffic on Route One and the constant in and out of trucks, cars and motorcycles, onto the property, it was difficult to relax on the grounds.Also, they managed to use the leaf blower to clean the grounds every time we went out to sit in the sun. A broom would have been much quieter. It was more of an inner city experience than a beach resort.. Definitely not Hawaii. I suppose this is a problem with most of the hotels on the Keys. Our fist room was adjacent to the highway and we had to move as you couldn't sit on the balcony and the road noise came into the room. The management was nice enough to give us a free upgrade, however.
The Tiki bar was like drinking in your garage. The view was OK but the atmosphere left a lot to be desired. We didn't eat in the restaurant, as there were much better choices nearby. The cigar smoke was also a problem.

Overall, our stay wasn't bad but not what I expected. If you are looking for a place to stay while you tour the Key's, this is fine. If you want to relax on the grounds and just unwind, I would find another hotel (far from the highway).

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Road-Maven
Reviewed May 22, 2008

A very relaxing place to stay.

Due to a mess up with our reservation we ended up staying in 2 rooms; one was a 1 bed suite which was large though an odd configuration and very dark. I wouldnt recommend our room (101). The second was a 2 bed suite which was absolutely fantastic; huge space, great furnishings and an awesome view over thepool area and into the bay.

Both rooms were very clean and well maintained and overall the property was in very good condition. The beach is an artificial one and not very large but big enough.

The reception staff and hotel manager were all really great.
We ate in the restaurant one evening and all mornings and the food there was ok if nothing special. My children were disappointed that waffles were not available every morning on the buffet - apparently it is either waffles or pancakes in any one day not both!
They have an onsite facility for watersports and I also hired out a jet ski which was fine.

So all in all I'd recommend it , and have only knocked off one star because of room mix up/slightly sub par 1 bed suite and a restaurent experience which was nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Hotel is absolutely beautiful. Right on the main road, easy to find, lots of amenities. The room was beautiful and comfortable. Within easy distance of all local attractions.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family