“Is this really a Marriott? - great view, tired hotel, rude staff”

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
London
“Is this really a Marriott? - great view, tired hotel, rude staff”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed for one week in February. As a Marriott Gold Elite member this hotel is by far the worse Marriott property we have ever stayed in. First the positives - fantastic view if you have a high floor, bay view room. Beach is small but ideal for younger children, pool clean and lots of sun loungers to go around even when the hotel is full.

The negatives -

* Apart from resort managers, incredibly rude staff who really seem to have no interest in being there, particularly in Gus' restaurtant. Restaurant manager great, all other staff appauling, mute, verging on rude. Food average at best and overpriced.

* Check in desk, no welcome, no recognition of Marriott membership, questioned my booking including breakfast for the kids even though on booking form. No direction to room, no offer of help with luggage.

* Food by the pool - usually late and cold. Mainly as it has to be carried 150 yds from the restaurant

* Room decor very tired (although in our experience room cleaned well)

* Complained about a variety of these issues and were given free drinks vouchers and discount on daily rate. On two occassions staff demanded cash tips rather than being put on our room bill, even suggesting to my wife she returns later with cash. Utterly unacceptable

Overall, we had a great break despite the hotel staff, not because of them. This hotel is priced as a luxury resort, which it is not. The whole place has a strange downbeat vibe seemingly caused by the negativity of staff. I would highly recommend a trip out to some of the tripadvisor recommended local restaurants - which were all great

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 23, 2013

From check in to check out the staff at this hotel were fantastic. Luz and Zully at the front desk were very helpful with information about the hotel. Stefan at the pool bar is super nice and makes great pina coladas. The staff make up for any short comings at this property. The reviews on this site said the hotel was outdated and those descriptions are accurate. Have realistic expectations of this hotel and you won't be disappointed. If you have stayed at Marriott hotels in the Caribbean this is not of the same quality. Room furnishings are a little outdated and worn. Pool area is nice but in good weather can see there would be an issue with not enough chairs which has been mentioned by others on this site. Meal service at the pool is okay. Food has to come from the restaurant and is not cooked in the pool area so everything we ordered was room temperature at best. Breakfast buffet was good and has all the foods you would normally expect from a buffet at a US restaurant. Parking is free and plentiful. We had an upgraded room overlooking the bay which was good size. Bay beach is very murky and seaweed filled and not what you might be used to from ocean beaches in floriday or the caribbean.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking bay worth the extra money especially because of the balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We drove south from Delaware to Key West and had scheduled stops along the way, including Coral Gables, Florida. On arrival, we found the hotel we reserved to be a disaster and decided to move on. We headed for the Keys late in the day without a reservation anywhere. Using our on line technology, we were not finding rooms available. So I called this resort's front desk directly and pleaded. They were very responsive and told me to come, they would find something. They worked a miracle.
Noting my distress, and realizing that our Coral Gables hotel was part of thier chain, they worked to redeem the Marriott name.
We were upgraded to a waterfront suite and treated to drinks be the pool! We stayed two nights and enjoyed every minute. The beach and pool area were delightful, the food at both restaurants was delicious and affordable, the front desk was outstanding. I also used their small but well equipped gym that included a huge open window to the water view and breeze.
A relaxing, unfussy resort sure to please.

Room Tip: You have to get a water view room to really enjoy this resort.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amm4747
North Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I found each of the Florida keys to have a relatively unique personality. Key Largo was no exception. A slower pace with relaxation being paramount. A must see was John Pennekamp state park. The resort staff was great and when combined with resort amenities our visit was quite satisfying. "The Fish House" restaurant was some of the best prepared and freshest seafood I have experienced. You are missing out if you don't eat there.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This place has definitely seen better days. We did a night here purely because we left it late on a holiday weekend and we wanted to be near the Everglades on our way back from Key West. I mean, it's OK, but for the money there are lovely b&b's or hotels you could choose. This place needs an overhaul and it could be great, but its living in a time warp. Don't bother, look harder, honestly.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Jonnygun
Schenectady
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with the family on our way to a week in the Ft Myers area...snuck out of the cold a few days early! This is a good property. Staff was excellent, pool area was very nice, food was good but as expected a bit on the pricy side compared with the local restaurants. Received a nice upgrade to a two bedroom suite, so there is a big plus for the elite program! Room was a bit tired but clean so no major complaints there. You can hear noise if people are out by the pool late but I did not think it was that bad, and we heard no road noise in our room. Overall I would return here!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have driven past this property many times on my way to Marathon Key over the years. I always take notice of the giant seashell in the front of the resort, with the torches and a sort of gaudy vitality. Being one of the first hotels you see as you enter Key Largo proper, it had me intrigued. In October, a week before hurricane Sandy struck, I was splitting my time between Marathon and Key Largo. I decided to finally give the Marriott a try. I read many of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and tried to guage my own middle ground between the pros and cons. Some cons mentioned noise, the view of the parking garage from a particular room, the overpriced restaurant on site, the fact that the building was "motel-style" in a walk-up sort of way...you get the idea. I am someone who does enjoy a clean, comfortable room with some charm to it. Give me a clean bathroom and proper lighting and a good bed and I am already tipping the scales to the happy zone. Upon arrival, I found that not only was the desk check-in staff friendly and efficient, but helpful in giving me an overview of the property. I had taken the advice of fellow Tripadvisor reviewers and booked a room with a sea view. As I ascended the stairs up to my room, (pleasant clean paint job on the stucco), I was taken by the beautiful view of the Blackwater Sound. I grabbed the camera instantly. The pool and grounds from this vantage looked inviting and the room met my needs perfectly. Clean, comfortable bed, two-sided balcony (I had a corner room on the uppermost level), Wi-fi, pleanty of space to use my stability ball for workout, fridge, Flat screen TV (never even turned it on) and probably the best shower I have had in a hotel. Big shower room and shower head that was a delight! The beach was pleasant and I was at first a little worried about swimming or wading in the lagoon. It does have natural plant life at its bottom. However, a clear path of sand was created to let you walk out unencumbered for snorkel activities. I loved swimming out to the float and felt like it was more a mountain lake than a saltwater brine body of water. It was clean! Iguanas roam freely on the beach and there are plenty of chairs. A simple system of two towels for one pass worked fine for me, and rarely did I need more than one at a time. The beachfront promenade was wonderful, with hammocks and benches for sunset watching. A dock and rope bridge added to the funky floridian vibe, and the bridge leads to the main restaurant, Gus's Grille. Yes, it is a bit pricey and honestly, I had just as good a meal for less up the road at Fish House. It was worth eating at Gus's Grille to experience it. Great view for lunch, as I sat outside. Aside from some noisy drunk guests next to my room, I experienced no noise that was the fault of the hotel. The gym was hard to find, even though it was right under my nose (It is in the front, next to the check-in area in an out-building of its own). It closed a bit early for my liking but I was able to use my key and still get in to do some simple curling. Not the kind of gym one will find extensive gear in but enough to work off some guilty dessert. I did not try the spa but it can be found atop a quirky little building by the pool. The pool had plenty of lounges and was quite enjoyable except some guests were smoking and I was downwind! Not sure if it is permitted but there they were, lighting up!. I took a walk to the conference center, where a wedding was due to take place in a day. It was a majestic looking spread in white and reminded me of a Miami Vice setting, in a good way! I would not hesitate to reccommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax in close proximity to both pool and shore. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is just up the road, as is many shopping and dining possibilities. This hotel turned out to be a gem on my trip.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for an upper floor (corner) with sea view. It is worth every penny!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 4 in Tavernier
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!