“A pleasant surprise from a familiar site.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
New York
“A pleasant surprise from a familiar site.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have driven past this property many times on my way to Marathon Key over the years. I always take notice of the giant seashell in the front of the resort, with the torches and a sort of gaudy vitality. Being one of the first hotels you see as you enter Key Largo proper, it had me intrigued. In October, a week before hurricane Sandy struck, I was splitting my time between Marathon and Key Largo. I decided to finally give the Marriott a try. I read many of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and tried to guage my own middle ground between the pros and cons. Some cons mentioned noise, the view of the parking garage from a particular room, the overpriced restaurant on site, the fact that the building was "motel-style" in a walk-up sort of way...you get the idea. I am someone who does enjoy a clean, comfortable room with some charm to it. Give me a clean bathroom and proper lighting and a good bed and I am already tipping the scales to the happy zone. Upon arrival, I found that not only was the desk check-in staff friendly and efficient, but helpful in giving me an overview of the property. I had taken the advice of fellow Tripadvisor reviewers and booked a room with a sea view. As I ascended the stairs up to my room, (pleasant clean paint job on the stucco), I was taken by the beautiful view of the Blackwater Sound. I grabbed the camera instantly. The pool and grounds from this vantage looked inviting and the room met my needs perfectly. Clean, comfortable bed, two-sided balcony (I had a corner room on the uppermost level), Wi-fi, pleanty of space to use my stability ball for workout, fridge, Flat screen TV (never even turned it on) and probably the best shower I have had in a hotel. Big shower room and shower head that was a delight! The beach was pleasant and I was at first a little worried about swimming or wading in the lagoon. It does have natural plant life at its bottom. However, a clear path of sand was created to let you walk out unencumbered for snorkel activities. I loved swimming out to the float and felt like it was more a mountain lake than a saltwater brine body of water. It was clean! Iguanas roam freely on the beach and there are plenty of chairs. A simple system of two towels for one pass worked fine for me, and rarely did I need more than one at a time. The beachfront promenade was wonderful, with hammocks and benches for sunset watching. A dock and rope bridge added to the funky floridian vibe, and the bridge leads to the main restaurant, Gus's Grille. Yes, it is a bit pricey and honestly, I had just as good a meal for less up the road at Fish House. It was worth eating at Gus's Grille to experience it. Great view for lunch, as I sat outside. Aside from some noisy drunk guests next to my room, I experienced no noise that was the fault of the hotel. The gym was hard to find, even though it was right under my nose (It is in the front, next to the check-in area in an out-building of its own). It closed a bit early for my liking but I was able to use my key and still get in to do some simple curling. Not the kind of gym one will find extensive gear in but enough to work off some guilty dessert. I did not try the spa but it can be found atop a quirky little building by the pool. The pool had plenty of lounges and was quite enjoyable except some guests were smoking and I was downwind! Not sure if it is permitted but there they were, lighting up!. I took a walk to the conference center, where a wedding was due to take place in a day. It was a majestic looking spread in white and reminded me of a Miami Vice setting, in a good way! I would not hesitate to reccommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax in close proximity to both pool and shore. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is just up the road, as is many shopping and dining possibilities. This hotel turned out to be a gem on my trip.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for an upper floor (corner) with sea view. It is worth every penny!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Craig H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This Hotel has it all. Good local, very nice room with bay views, beautiful sunsets, nice restaurant, outside bars with attractive happy hour & entertainment, heated pool, hot tub and a pleasant professional staff. 2nd stay there and look forward to a return trip.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a very nice (but dated) Marriott. We stumbled across this hotel on the way to Key West. No it is not your typical Marriott....It has a great beach view and lovely sandy beach with all the amenities such as Suba Trips (even if your not certified), wave runners, kayaks and others. Rooms look nice and updated but not as what you would expect in a big city Marriott. The hotel has ping pong tables, shuffle board, beach volleyball, fooseball and a lot of other stuff. Great pool which is about 50 yards from its sandy beach.

Staff overall are very friendly with a few exceptions, the front person "Luz" was very rude and unfriendly during the check in and then later on refused to let us stay in our room the next night but was allowed after speaking with the General Manager and he was more than apologetic.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and I would defiantly return.

Room Tip: Pay for the "Bay View Room"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shane M
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel was OK - clean room and well kept grounds. Check in good - we had a sea view with a balcony which I would recommend. Room AC not great - really noisy. Gym very poor. Pool good. Breakfast buffet good enough. Staff helpful and friendly. Not a top class hotel but OK for a brief stay. Probably one of better Key Largo hotels

Room Tip: Get a sea view if yiucan afford it
1 Thank Karen_2H20
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

More of a place you'd go for water sports than relaxation. A "resort" should be more than having a bar at the pool. You can hear the traffic from the highway all day at the pool and all night in your room. So I didn't feel like I 'got away from it all'. Although the rooms have been updated, all the workmanship and materials are shoddy. Gave me the feeling of being in a built-by-locals hotel in Mexico. Besides that, the people were very friendly and nice (staff and guests), food prices and quality were what you'd expect from Marriott. I've stayed in lots and lots of Marriott properties, as it's my preferred brand, and overall, I've paid less for nicer ones elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank globetrotter30plus
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our first trip to the Keys and the Marriott beach resort made is special. The rooms are very good. the staff is outstanding the location cannot be better and, grounds are very much a resort.
All you can ask for is on the property. A lot of great things can be said bit they have already been said by others.
You cannot go wrong staying here. I did check other properties while we were here, to compare and to see if they were better for when we come back. None in the Key largo (or even farther down the Keys) were close, let alone better. This will become our go-to resort in the northern Keys.

Room Tip: Of course, a higher floor and an ocean view is the best but, how much time will you spend in your ro...
2 Thank Pete_Coach
Clarksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We just came back from Key Largo on 2/4/13 and had a great time. The hotel staff is absolutley fantastic at this Marriott. I can't say enough about the following: Brian and Matilde at the pool area, Lena and Adam at Breezers; Luz, Sam and Jolina at the front desk; Christine at Gus Grille. Special shout out to Sam (don't know last name) but he is associate of the year, he was great so friendly and made sure we knew when the fresh cookies were out. All the other staff were just so courteous and friendly. They just always put a smile on your face.
Also, if you want to go on a great back water fishing trip ask for Captain Tony. He is right on the Marriott site. He was awesome!!

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have balconies, if you can afford it make sure you get a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends