“Relaxing In Key Largo”

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The location is great. The beach is in the sun and so is the pool. For convenience the pool, spa, and beach are all within a few feet of eachother. The rooms were a little outdated; the tv had bad picture quality, however an upgrade to an HDMI chord would solve all the problems with that. The shower had a problem with drainage, the doors inside the room would not open or close properly and one of the towell racks broke. The rooms were very clean though. Front desk service was generally excellent except for one man; he was mean and not helpful. Gus' Grille, the restaurant left a lot to be desired and was way over-priced; the food for dinner was pretty bad. I ordered a steak medium and recieved a rare piece of fat. The breakfast, however, was pretty delicious, almost like a different restaurant. I really enjoyed the pool and hot tub: very excellent, oh yeah, and the beach of course! In all it was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are much quieter and have very beautiful views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Abake96

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We only stayed here for one night. The room was spacious and very nice. Comfy (but very high) beds. Unfortunately it was a bit noisy. US 1 is just outside the hotel, the a/c made a lot of noise etc. Because of that I'm glad we only stayed for one night.
The resort seems to be very nice, especially if you travel with small children. I've never been fond of resorts though, it's not my kind of vacation to stay a week or two at one. But if you're in to it, I think you'll like this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does have a beautiful view if you have a bay view room. Other than that it needs a lot of work. The rooms are in disparate need of an upgrade. Half of our bathroom was redone which made the rest look that much worse. All furnishings were dinged up and we could feel a spring in the mattress. The food at Gus's restaurant was very mediocre. This resort is not up to Marriott standards. We are Marriott gold level card holders and typically get a complimentary room upgrade, at this hotel they give you a very small bag of treats. Our profile also requests high floor and we were put in a room on the first floor. We checked out after one night, we won't stay there again, and we would not recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from two nights at the Marriot Key Largo. We were traveling with our children, 12 and 14 and stayed in a double queen room. The first thing that I want to say is that the property itself is located in a gorgeous setting by the bay. If our stay only extended to the outside of the property, I would have nothing but positive things to say. Unfortunately, the interior areas of the hotel are in serious need of updating. I will note, that based on other reviews of the property, we were not surprised at the condition of the interior of the hotel but nontheless decided to give it a try hoping that it would exceed our expectations, but sadly it did not.

Here are the pros/cons of this hotel from my family's perspective:

- Beautiful setting on the bay.
- Pool area was well maintained, though a bit dated, but had lots of comfortable lounge chairs at the pool and beach. My kids had a great time in the pool. Also, there are hammocks sprinkled throughout the property which was a nice touch.
- Nice recreational areas including volleyball courts and an outdoor game room with a shuffle board, fuzzball, basketball, etc.
- Very nice and attentive staff. We made several requests to housekeepng and they responded very quickly.
- Staff at Breezers Bar were great and the atmosphere was very relaxed with beautiful views of the bay. My husband and I did happy hour there both nights and really enjoyed ourselves.
- Our room had a great balcony that looked out onto the bay. A bay view for this hotel is a MUST.
- Dive/snorkel shop at the hotel with daily trips leaving from the property is a plus.
- Bedroom area of the hotel room was clean and neat, but as other's have noted, the beds are rather high.

Cons:

- Our number one complaint was the bathroom. It looked as if it had not been updated in years and quite frankly even my children were disgusted by it. There was grimy old dirt and mildew in the corners of both the changing area and the bathroom itself.
- Housekeeping could do a better job cleaning the bathrooms. We found hair etc. when we went to use the shower. Also, the water from the shower went all over the bathroom.
- The tile floor in the unit was seriously ugly and had chips throughout it .Again, it looked very old.
- Trash cans, ice bucket, and other bathroom accessories were old and beaten up (come on Marriott, how much does it cost to buy some new accessories!). A few updated touches in the room would go a long way to improving the general feel of the rooms.
- The walls had paint chips and scuffs.
- The door to our room did not shut properly unless pulled shut. My daughter came back from the pool one day after housekeeping had cleaned and found the door was not latched shut. Anyone could have entered our room.
- The "exercise room" is a joke. It consisted of three pieces of equipment.
- Asking for a towel card at the pool is just tacky.
-The main restaurant, Gus's, had an old, outdated feel to it and the food was only mediocre. I would recommend going off property to eat. However, the views of the bay from the deck at Gus's are wonderful.
- Our balcony had two nice chairs on it, but somehow our unit ended up with one of those cheap plastic white deck tables from Walmart (not cool Marriott!).

Overall, for the money we paid (almost $400 a night over the Christmas holiday), we did not find this property a good value. When I pay that much money for a Marriott, I expect a room of much higher quality and an UPDATED bathroom.

If and when Marriott decides to update this property, we will return. It really has tremendous potential to be a top notch resort.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, get a bay view room. The views are wonderful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank hrmomx2
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Key Largo for 3 nights through New Year's Eve. I chose the Marriott because we would be able to see the fireworks from there, and the reviews on TripAdvisor were generally good. Overall, our stay there was just okay, and we didn't feel we got our money's worth. This was our first visit to Key Largo, so I don't know how the Marriott compares with other Key Largo hotels, but it doesn't compare well with hotels elsewhere in the same price range.

We had a bayside room (447) on the top floor. The room was spacious and reasonably attractive. The balcony was very large, with a great view of the bay and sunset (see my photos). However, the building with Gus's Grille retaurant was between us and the bay, and although we could see over that building from our floor, lower floors would have an obstructed view (the sunset view would not be obstructed). As it turns out, we didn't have a good view of the fireworks from our room (we watched them from outside the building), but some other bayside rooms do have good fireworks views. The fireworks are set off just to right of the hotel when facing the bay.

The room provided plenty of storage for two people, and a refrigerator that was hidden behind a cabinet door that looked like drawers. There was a large flat-screen TV, which we hardly used, and a box for connecting other devices to the TV. There was a safe in the closet, but it was pretty small and you need to use a credit card (not the room key) to lock/unlock it. There was no mini bar in the room, but we prefer a fridge to a mini bar anyway.

The bathroom was okay. There was a one-sink vanity across from the closet, and a separate room with a large shower (no bathtub) and toilet. The fixed showerhead delivered a somewhat uncomfortable "pins and needles" spray that could not be adjusted. The towels were good.

The king bed was uncomfortable, and neither my wife nor I slept well during our stay. The mattress was very firm, and the only blanket was a very heavy comforter, which was too warm, so we just slept under the top sheet, which was too small for the bed. The pillows weren't very good. There was also quite a bit of traffic noise -- the road was only about 100 yards from our door, which was not well insulated.

The pool and beach area didn't have enough chairs, so people had a hard time finding a place to sit while we were there. The beach is very small, and neither private nor secluded as the hotel describes it -- if you're looking for a nice beach, go elsewhere. Part of the pool deck near our seats was covered with puddles of water all day, even though it hadn't rained in days, so you had to be careful about where you put your stuff down. Flipper's tiki bar was next to the pool, and you could order food or drinks from anywhere in the pool area. My wife and I split a (small) pepperoni pizza for lunch, which wasn't very good. We also had mojitos, which were tasty but weak.

The hotel issued towel cards that you traded for pool/beach towels, and you'd get new cards when returning the towels. On the cards, it said that you would get charged $25 if you didn't return them when checking out, but no one mentioned that when we were given the cards or used them at the pool. I don't know if the hotel actually charges people for unreturned cards, but I hope not, because lots of people didn't turn in their towels when they left the pool.

Although we didn't take advantage of it, Pirate Island Divers are located in the resort, so it's easy to go diving or snorkeling right from the hotel. Lots of other watersports activities and equipment are also available.

The hotel offers free wi-fi access everywhere and ample parking (some of the outdoor parking is on crushed stone rather than pavement).

We ate breakfast each day at Gus' Grille (not included in our room rate), and had dinner there one night -- see my review under Gus' Grille for details. We had drinks and conch fritters at the Breezes Bar one afternoon. The fritters were okay but just warm, probably because all the food you get at Breezes or the poolside bar is brought over from Gus' Grille. One of our drink menus at Breezes was filthy, it obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while.

All of the staff we dealt with during our stay were very friendly and professional.

In summary, although the Marriott Key Largo offers many features, it didn't meet our expectations for a hotel in its price range, especially when we paid $400/night plus taxes for a bayview room. I don't know how the Marriott compares with other area hotels, but if we visit Key Largo again, we'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you book a bay view room, get one on the top floor for an unobstructed view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeEss
Reviewed January 2, 2013

When we first arrived, we checked into our suite which had two bedrooms. BUT ONE BATHROOM! our entire family had to share one bathroom for the whole trip. The hotel is right on the freeway so it could be noisy at times. we walked to the "beach" that is at the hotel and noticed something funky about the water. we weren't on the ocean side it was the bay side so the water was filled with seaweed. not an exaggeration at all-- I never stepped foot in it. the pictures of the hotel beach are so wrong. they show people running but there's not enough space to do that. those models were probably frozen in that position. The beach is literally 100ft. long and there are probably 30 beach chairs. not so great. the one thing nice about the beach is that it was quiet. the poolside bar is a really bad place to order food because it takes them so long. all of the food for the entire hotel comes from the on site restaurant Gus'. they have a really bad system of delivering the food from the restaurant. you order and it goes to Gus' and then they walk it over to you. but the thing is they only make trips when there are a certain number of plates!! so I ordered a turkey sandwich and it took them 45 minutes because they didn't want to deliver just one plate. 45 minutes for something they didn't even have to cook. the first morning we went to Gus' for breakfast. there were a few ants on the table and in my napkin. the nice front desk man had given us free breakfast (menu or buffet) because of our room situation. our waiter came over and we ordered off of the menu. he then proceeded to tell us that everything was on the buffet and it would be easier on him if we just got it on the buffet. I had ordered waffles with fruit and potatoes. but I really didn't want to get up and get it myself so I wanted to order off the MENU! why have a menu if its all on the buffet? so I was basically forced to get my own breakfast. the potatoes were really good and when I went to the waffle station it was my waiter who was making it, not a professional cook. I waited about 5 minutes for him to cook the waffle and when it was ready it stuck a little and he picked it up with his hands and on to my plate! EW. I don't want to eat it after you just touched it I don't know you!! and guess what? no fruit. if I had ordered it off the menu I would've gotten fruit. another member of my family got poached eggs that were over cooked and our waiter proceeded to our table and questioned her about the eggs. he asked questions like is that what you wanted and are you sure you want to eat that? very. unprofessional. It made us uncomfortable because he was criticizing what we were eating. I didn't eat much of my waffle because he touched it and he criticized us all for not eating much. I wonder why. that night we ordered room service which was key like pie and chocolate cake. they were pretty good and it was fast. we put the tray outside for the housekeeping to pick up and it was there for the next 3 days. ew. the beds were not comfortable. our room had a full length mirror but it was blocked by the bed so we had to stand on the bed to see our full outfits. We thought the maid took one of our purses (big misunderstanding it wasn't her) and the front desk was very attentive to our needs. they talked to her immediately and did everything so efficiently.
I think the best part of the hotel was the front desk. they were very nice and understanding. when we didn't like something, they made up for it like with the breakfast coupons.
Overall, this hotel was not up to Marriott standards. I will NOT go back.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent Christmas Eve and Day here and it was really enjoyable. Just a manmade
beach but the pool and hottub are wonderful and the resort is special. We had a bay
view room which was right at the Gulf. It ws a wonderful room with a fantastic balcony.
Sorry we were only staying one night. Could have stayed a week. The room was very
comfortable. Had the Christmas buffet at the restaurant which was very good as was
the breakfast buffet. Would stay here again if we went to Key Largo.

Room Tip: Ask for a gulf view room overlooking the "small beach".
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple