“Nice Getaway”

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just got back from a 5 day getaway in Key Largo and we stayed at the Marriott Key Largo Resort.We had a great time as the weather was nice and the resort had all the amenities we needed to enjoy our stay.The pool bar was open until dusk and there was another tiki bar that was open until 11pm with live music each night.Gus's Grill and restaurant on site was open for breakfast lunch and dinner and our waitress and waiter(Barbara and James) did a great job providing us with great service.Pool was a bit small but sufficient since it was that overly busy until the weekend when a wedding was happening with all the invited guests.The views from the resort are beautiful,and our room was fine.Most of the staff were quite helpful and our front end lobby mgr Eric recommended a nice back bay fishing trip and we absolutely loved the trip.Hated to leave such a nice area to come back to Connecticut but will return sometime again.

Room Tip: We traveled with my brother in law and his wife and they stayed in an ocean view room with a balcony...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,170)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for three nights on a quick dive trip to Key Largo. Took advantage of a facebook rate that included breakfast for two at Gus grille each day. Used Marriott points for my last night. Breakfast was typical Marriott buffet which was a great way to start the day. The breakfast staff were very friendly, service with a smile and chat - loved that.

If you are a guest staying at the hotel, there are boat slips available for free on a first come, first served basis right on-site, including a boat ramp and large parking lot for your truck/trailer. This was very handy for early morning dive trips. Didn't use the facilities of the on-site dive shop - although they will fill tanks, and have a charter that goes out twice daily. There is also a canoe, jet ski rental too.

Pool was good size for the resort, cool and refreshing which is needed for this time of year in the Keys. Pool bartenders were friendly and fast - it's slow season so not sure what this place is like when things get busy. Lounge chairs on the manmade beach need a pick me up, but adequate seating for all. There is also a Spa on-site - didn't visit, but always a great amenity.

Like others have indicated, the parking is covered, but very tight. Plus is that parking is so close to elevators/stairs to your room allowing quick unloading/loading. Always found a spot within 20 ft of elevator.

Room is adequate, typical Marriott, very clean and refrigerator was a bonus. The balcony is large and get a room facing the bay - you'll love having that view and having the room to spreadout too. Great for drying all of your dive gear.

Great location to rest your head for a few days and enjoy a resort like atmosphere. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a bayfront room - left side of resort facing the bay. Quiet.
2  Thank amani33
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I've stayed at other places in Key Largo that I like, but I think this is by far the best place for the price. We went during a slow time and got a great rate that also included breakfast. I was nervous after reading some of the recent negative reviews, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my stay here.

Check-in was friendly and quick and they gave me free breakfast coupons without me having to ask for them. The room was very nice in a Floribbean style. It was just the right amount of fancy to me, as this is the Keys and the whole point of the Keys is a laidback style of life. The mattress wasn't too firm as some have mentioned (and I have a super soft bed at home), and the bathroom was nice and spacious. We loved the balcony and had a great view of the bay and the resort grounds. My only gripe was the TV channels, but that had more to do with the channels repetitive, boring content and that's not the hotel's fault. There are no premium channels that we saw.

We didn't use the dive shop so I cannot comment on that, but it seemed convenient to have it on site. Thursdays and Fridays they do the jet-lev rocket pack which is a great adventure (see my prior review for this in another location). They rent jet-skis and kayaks, so you wouldn't need to leave the resort if you wanted water activities. The manmade beach was typical of the Keys. The turtle grass is protected and is abundant, but you could still swim out to the platform and the water was clear enough to snorkel in. We saw a manatee right off the shore while we were in the wonderful two-person hammock. Lots of sailboats are anchored just offshore and it is very picturesque.

The resort pool was beautiful and my only wish was that they had an adults only pool! The hot-tub was nice too. The towel card system seemed fair enough-trade in one card for 2 towels and then get your card back when you return the towels to the attendant.

The restaurants on site were nice. We ate at Gus' Grille one night and it was great, however we were a little surprised at the prices.

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, however some people might think they were a little laid back. In the Keys that attitude seems to be very prevalent. The staff did a good job and I didn't have any complaints.

I would definitely stay here again if we go to the Keys. I looked at several other hotels while we were down there and for the price this place blew the others away!

2  Thank theconstantwanderer
Reviewed September 28, 2012

At first I wasn't too sure about the hotel b/c the front could use updating. However, the upgrade we got to an ocean view room made it all worth it. Not only that but the activities available onsite are excellent!! The rooms were clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and the food was pretty good in the restaurant, the view was awesome at sunset. If ever I return to Key Largo I will for sure stay at this hotel.

1  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very nice resort well taken care of , quiet pool private beach pool bar Findlay staff great service food simple and tastes .had a 2 bedroom suite facing pool and the bay balconies was huge enter from living room or bedroom

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked three months in advance and spoke to the hotel to assure we would have a room with a view of the bay. Instead we had a pool view, in a room facing 90 degrees from the bay, and the side view was blocked by palm trees. Upon check in I called the front desk to request the room we reserved, they said were full and placed us on a wait list. After checking on our status after three days they were unable to provide the room we reserved. We were there in off season, late September, and the hotel occupancy seemed very light...plenty of paking spots, etc. The manager gave us two breakfast coupons as compensation, which was totally inadequate. We will dispute the charges. On the plus side our room was furnished with nicely, clean, though the bathroom was of "Motel 6" quality. Read the other reviews carefully before making a reservation. We were shocked and disappointed that this hotel flew a Marriott flag.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Visit-upstate-NY
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very pleasant welcome - nice clean room - good pool and beach facilities. Came on the quiet season so pretty much had place to ourselves. Restaurant was a bit pricey but the food was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple