“Quite pleasant but not a luxurious resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Virginia
“Quite pleasant but not a luxurious resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This Marriott is more like a beach club than a resort, and so guests shouldn't expect real luxury or gratuitous service. But our room was clean, everything worked, and the staff was friendly. Our ocean-front room had a spectacular view; the hotel is surprisingly close to the water. Also, the lobby has fresh cookies each afternoon, which is a nice touch. My only disappointment was with my scheduled spa appointment. Unbeknownst to me, the spa only has outdoor treatment rooms, and so I was surprised to receive a call, on the morning of my appointment, warning me that the unseasonably cool temperatures probably would make my treatment unpleasant. I went to the spa anyway, and the therapist apologized and suggested a massage (where I could be covered most of the time), which was excellent. Still, the hotel either should warn guests of the weather risk in advance or, preferably, build a real spa that can offer service regardless of temperature.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ontheroadoften

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
wilmington,nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

When checking in front desk was friendly enough. Booked a king but only doubles were available no problem can we at least get a view? Got to room no view to speak of besides road.... The carpet had a sheen of dirt and worn. ugh after paying 300+ a night i guess i expected more. Resort was nice enough but small and cocktails were pricey .I will not be returning

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robwushere
reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We wanted to experience different keys, and had just driven up from Key west fairfield inn where the staff were so friendly but the place very low end in furnishings. Here in Key Largo, it was the opposite. This marriott is nicer than the fairfield, but the staff were less than friendly. As a platinum member who stays more than 120 nights a year abroad, this Marriott hotel design, style, and furnishings is what I expected and enjoyed. The beds are raised higher than usual, but the rooms are clean. The hallways are exterior and breezy, the bay is right there so that s a benefit in summer and a bummer in winter. I arrived at 7pm to check in, The front desk staff had no smiles, was monotoned, and distracted. $188, this was the same rate was the dumpy key west fairfield inn, but much better furnishings. My room had two queens and faced the bay. You can see from erlier reviews that there are no responses fom this hotel mangement compared to the attentiveness of the key west fairfield management responses on trip advisor, it reflects the over all service differences in these properties. This place needs to have more smiles, but it is very nice for the price. Laundry on site $2 to wash n $2 to dry. We travel light hoping to launder before moving on, well the washer broke while we were using it. I would stay again, it is nice comparatively to other keys properties. Marriott platinum members get extra 500 points on check in.

Room Tip: Bay view, high floor, being platinum rewards member of marriott
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank pickyreno
Cape Coral Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We have stayed at this resort several times and had very good experiences, until now. The following is most of what was written in a letter to the management and officers of Marriott:

I am quite chagrined by the lack of empathy and professionalism displayed by the staff and management of the Key Largo Marriott Resort.  On Saturday, November 5, 2011, there was a domestic dispute in the room next to the one that I was sharing with my girlfriend. The disturbance spilled out into the hallway. You can read the Monroe County Sheriff's report for the details, suffice to say that my girlfriend and I were involved to the extent of being witnesses and providing the Sheriff with a written statement.  I am amazed that at no time did the resort staff inquire as to our well being.  Needless to say, we did not have a good night's sleep and were still very concerned about our safety and our vehicles' safety, due to possible repercussions from either of the two people involved in the dispute.  Due to a lack of proper procedure, the couple was well aware of who reported the disturbance.  We continued to "look over our shoulder" for the remainder of our stay.  It greatly disturbs me that we were not offered another room, despite the fact that I am a Privileged Marriott Rewards Member (as an aside; I did not receive what I requested in my reservation: king size bed, top floor, extra pillows, extra towels).
We did get a SOMEWHAT quick response and refunded one night stay. Suffice to say, we think that this is very insufficient.
NOTE: if you want to go fishing, and actually catch, and have a good time; go with "Fin Razer"; they dock at the Holiday Inn. Great group of guys, we have been out with them many times.

Room Tip: Upper floors, facing the gulf.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank itsadogslife52
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I am a HUGE fan of the Marriott brand. I have been platinum for years. We were disappointed for the welcome that we received at this hotel. It started with the bell man and the front desk etc... It's cold today in Key Largo and the chill has no doubt brought out the ugly in the staff. They seem more concerned about their own well being than their guests. They have closed down the tiki bar at the pool and the towel cabana. They are making us walk to the office for towels...ugh... I guess we can hang out in the tired dirty rooms... Sounds FUN...

I will never come back!!!!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lsilverkoi
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

we have just returned from our 6th trip to key largo this time staying at the marriott resort key largo
we stayed 4 nights arriving on christmas eve check in was speedy our room even though we were very early was ready and in a superb location with wonderful views
our stay was relaxing , with everything we required on resort or nearby friendly staff , superb bar restuarant and snack facilities a fab dive school offering diving kayak rental everything a family needs with teenagers and local backwater fishing charters on the doorstep .
this being our 6th visit to the keys we are used to the not so pristine 5 star luxury that other resorts throughout the world suppy this is the laid back keys flipflops and shorts great relaxing holiday no stress we will deff make a return the the marriott next year

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank whytes2011
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I am currently staying here the resort is nice beach is great except for the seaweed. The room is nice excepr for the noise from the refridgerator and people above me asked for high levle floor to get away from noise got 3rd floor but still not totaly happy.

The bedding for me is horrable I wake up in pain!. I need softer beding.

They need better seating for tv viewing like couch or chair with ottoman to put feet up on.

Overall a nice place to stay. Som people here complain about the smell but it is just the smell from the sea. I give this resort a 3 out of 5.

• Stayed January 2012
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 19 in Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews

Been to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!