“Reasonably good, but not quite at Marriott usual standards”

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I and my wife and adult children stayed at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort for 3 nights while visiting Key Largo and Key West. The rooms were clean and reasonably furnished. It did not quite have quite the feel of a Marriott property. I travel a lot on business and stay at Fairfield Inns as a rule. This hotel, being a resort, was a little more worn than usual. The parking was barely adequate and you had to park in areas not marked for parking if you got back late.
The pool area was good. The man-made beach was adequate for sunbathing but if you want to do beach swimming don't go to the Keys. The water is shallow and weedy.
I thought the pool food and drink prices were a bit high, but I don't have a good comparison, just an impression.
I don't think this is really the hotel's problem, but the mosquitos were horrendous when we were there. Bring repellent. We all got major bites while eating at the outdoor restaurant.
The staff were polite and helpful - about the same level as a Fairfield Inn or Courtyard.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Axsdata
Write a ReviewReviews (2,189)

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Our reservation request was for a king bed, extra feather pillows, and extra towels. We did not receive any of these items. In fact I was told when I checked in that there was not a king bed in the resort that someone wasn't already sleeping in. Next, the parking is a nightmare due to very small parking spaces, and large columns between them. Large vehicles could not park inside the parking area at all. When we arrived at our room we found that we had been assigned a handicapped room. We DID NOT request this, nor want it. My husband and I both find the bars and the seat in the bath tub to be disguisting. We did not want to spoil our trip with complaints, and waiting for another room, ect... so we just decided to suck it up and try to make the best of it. My husband went to open the sliding glass door to see what our view was like and there was NO LOCK on the door as it was busted off. To lock the door a block of wood had been put in to keep the door from sliding. When my husband removed the block of wood, the wand on the drapries scraped him on the back causing a sore that later formed a scab. The door was also off of the tracks, so my husband spent time working on putting it back on. Ridiculous!!!! All of this to find that the view was of parked vehicles that would not fit in the parking garage. Lovely..... We went to the bar for Happy Hour and had difficulty getting waited on. All the service was being given to the people seated at the bar, and all of those seats were full. The outside tables were not serviced without someone going up to the bar and asking for service. After returning to our room we discovered that the sink had a clog, and that there was a light bulb missing by the mirror. The next morning we discovered that one of the fixtures on the sink needed a washer and water had leaked out all over the dressing table area. My husband went in the lobby and reported the leak, drain, and the light bulb. When we returned from breakfast a man was in our room with the plumbing taken apart. We were unable to use our room all morning due to the repairs. We did finally ask to have him leave long enough for us to get our swim suits on. There were no pool towels in our room, however we were able to obtain one towel each from a young lady by the pool. The towels are very thin, and when we needed to trade them so we would have something to dry off with that would actually dry us, the girl was gone so we went to the lobby to trade them. There I was told rudely that they did not have any towels. I told this lady that the resort service sucks, but she was unmoved by my comment. When we returned to our room later that day the safe would not open and we had to wait for maintenance to come and open it. Then when we were leaving to go out to eat there was a sign on the elevator saying it was out of order. To top off our evening we could hear a fountain gushing water all night. I woke up wondering why my husband was taking a shower. I was also awakend at 11:00 P.M. of a large truck running outside our room which was a linen truck. We heard loud talking, and loud bangs and clangs as well. Our room was located over the service area and it was not a quite place to be. In addition there were children running, and yelling until very late. The sounds echo right up to all the rooms due to the way the hotel is constructed. The biggest problem with this resort is a lack of service. I hated it and feel like I was robbed of my money staying there. (Forgot to say that we were unable to use the pool because of two dive classes taking up all the room for many hours)

Room Tip: Just don't go there
4  Thank mb2
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this resort. My room was very comfortable and had a great view of ocean and sunset. I was traveling alone, but felt comfortable in restaurant and lounges. Breezer's Bar was another great place to watch the sunset. Staff was very courteous and personable. I wanted a relaxing few days away and it certainly provided that. I would recommend this property for a girls' weekend, couples get away or family vacation. I also went on a snorkel excursion with the dive shop on the property. Although the waters were a little rougher than normal for this time of year it was a good experience. Saw beautiful coral and lots of fish. I would definitely return to this resort.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank skc4001
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days and 2 nights along with 7 members of our family for our wedding that we had on the private beach. The whole experience was beautiful. The rooms, while not fancy, were very nice, clean, modern, and comfortable. The view from our room was to die for. The wedding was amazing and went off without a hitch due in large part to the amazing staff at the hotel. There were so many things for us to do at the hotel (jet ski, swim in the ocean or pool, sit at one of the bars and have a cocktail, 3 places to eat, room service, spa, etc) that we didn't even have to leave the property. It should also be said that we ate at Gus' Grille for the breakfast bar every morning (delicious) and got room service (amazing) and ate at Gus' for dinner (spectacular), and the tiki bar for lunch (YUM). We all loved it and we will be going back. Also, though we do not have kids, the resort is very kid friendly and seemed to have lots of things to keep kids occupied.

Room Tip: We asked for a bay view on a high floor. Amazing.
1  Thank Bethydoll
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom suite with two couples. The master bedroom was nice, and had an attached bath, but the second room was not great for a couple. It had two double beds, no bath, no ceiling fan, and got hot during the night with the door closed. It was a bit of a problem to have 4 adults share one bath, especially whe the bath joined one of the bedrooms. The kitchen was large and had lovely counters and appliances, but lacked much in the way of dishes, plates, and utensils. For example, we had only 3 coffee cups between the 4 of us! Oh, and the coffee pot was one of those tiny individual pots you often see in hotel rooms. Nice refrigerator, stove, and microwave, though. The view was billed as a bayview, and I guess it was, but we looked out at least partly over the corner of the building sitting perpendicular to ours (we had a corner room) and then over the (noisy) pool, and then to the bay. The porch was great, though, with a table and chairs, and ran the entire length of the master bedroom and living room. No washer/dryer in the suite, but I heard there was one somewhere on the property. the restaurant on site was pricey but pretty nice. Breakfast buffet is $15 per person, or you can order off the menu. Dinner was about $30 pp including one glass of wine. Overall, this resort is a reasonable value for the price. Oh, one more thing, the cookies in the lobby at check in were outstanding!!!

1  Thank 02Diver
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife and I booked this hotel largely based on our experience with other Marriott's in the U.S. This hotel makes us think we should not trust what the Marriott name can deliver...

1. Upon arrival: the Marriott sign is obviously faded and looks like it should have been replaced at least 5 years ago.

2. The buildings are all outdoor access...something I associate with cheaper hotels...

3. The property is not what you think of a "beach resort." Most of the property is paved and allows for parking under and around the structure. Our "bay view" room mostly had a view of other cars parked at the hotel. The "beach" was a very small area of obviously imported sand. This very, very small sand area was o.k....but it lead into the ocean waters that were filled with sea grass. No swimming or playing in the water here....

4. We booked our room for a week. Upon check-in, when we went up the stairs to our room, we saw spilled ice cream on the stairs. Two days later when we decided to check out early, we saw the same spilled ice cream.

5. The rooms were not what I consider Marriott quality for $250/night. The room was clean, but barren. The bathroom was a huge disappointment. Imagine taking a room in a Comfort Inn and putting marble tile floors in the bathroom. This is what our Marriott room was like...not exciting, and feeling like we were ripped off....

6. The whole property seems like it enjoyed its success in the '80s. Our room certainly felt this way, and the restaurant was a bigger disappointment. Our waitress over the next couple of days described how the restaurant was struggling for business. The decor was straight out of the late '80's. The restaurant public cooking area was closed down. Our waiter was also the bartender--and contributed to an enormous slow down in service. The food was at best mediocre. The staff was good, but obviously was not proud of their own employer...

This was a horrible Marriott experience. We have been at so many other great Marriott properties, but this one was terrible. I can't believe the Marriott corporation accepts this property as a moniqure of their standards. Honestly, after this experience, my wife and I are probably going to switch our hotel loyalty preferences to another vendor.

Marriott really disappointed, and they did not seem to care.....

Joe

Room Tip: Don't go....the town and the hotels disappoint
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoeDTCDenver
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We recently attended a "destination" wedding in Key Largo. The wedding was at the marriott key Largo Bay Beach Resort so we decided to also stay there for two nights. The Hotel and staff were great, the pool area was very nice and we particuarly enjoyed the small beach area for relaxing. Great food and drinks from the pool side bar/grill area as well. The hotel did a wonderful job accomodating the 100 person wedding and the sunset wedding was beautiful. Had a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2011