“Maybe I'm missing something..” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Benwood wreck

Ranked #12 of 70 things to do in Key Largo
More attraction details
Owner description: Selected as one of the dive sites on the Florida Keys' Shipwreck Trail, this merchant marine freighter was built in 1920 and sunk in 1942.
central missouri
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Maybe I'm missing something..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

but it's just an OLD wreck. Just a bunch of old metal on the bottom. I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of wreck diving to begin, and this did not persuade me otherwise. If I want to see a wreck, I can do so on dry land. If there was some interesting history here it may be different. As I said, I may be missing something.

It's an easy and popular dive. Abundant marine life. Personally, I prefer reefs to wrecks.

Visited August 2013

Northern Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Pile of junk”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Sorry, but there is no "wreck" anymore. It's an easy dive and there may be some fish there, but I won't go again. It's been a couple of years since I've been there - can't believe it would be any better, LOL. It's almost like diving in a junk yard, IMHO. Experienced divers should go elsewhere. There are SO many better dives from Key Largo.

Visited September 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The end to a great summer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Every year I teach about 40 kids how to dive in Key Largo. Not only do they come down to dive but they also help us replant our coral reefs was staghorn coral. At the end of every session I take the group out to the Benwood shipwreck for their last dive with me. It is a great spot with lots of Marine life and a variety of depths which makes it an excellent training location. Thanks again keys diver and Capt. Dave for a great summer. We'll see you again next year

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kurt S
Big Lake, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Old beat-up wreck”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Not much of a wreck after all these years. No structure, just lower hull and nowhere to really investigate. Most people could snorkel this site and not miss much. Great for beginners but boring for advanced divers.

Visited July 2013
Naples, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Shallow Wreck Dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Did this dive with Horizon Divers on Aug 2nd. It is a shallow wreck dive (20-40 ft), and great for divers with less experience to do a wreck dive. Saw several giant tarpon, along with usual array of colorful tropical fish. Highly recommend, particularly for less experienced divers who have not had deep dive training.

Visited August 2013