“Too cloudy for me”
Review of Benwood wreck

Ranked #14 of 71 things to do in Key Largo
More attraction details
Owner description: Selected as one of the dive sites on the Florida Keys' Shipwreck Trail, this merchant marine freighter was built in 1920 and sunk in 1942.
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The dive was not one of the best. It is not overly populated with denizens of the sea. Saw a few barracuda, but the visibilty was about 25 - 30 feet. The story about the wreck was better than the dive. But an average dive is just grand for me, I was there for the relaxing feeling I get from a dive. Will do it again.

All reviews
"spiegel grove"
in 10 reviews
"open water"
in 4 reviews
"rainbow reef dive center"
"molasses reef"
"ship"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This wreck has the most trumpet fish from big to small. It is also a great location for night diving. I seen my first octopus on this wreck. I watched a moray eel eat a barracuda.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

This was our most favorite dive site in Key Largo! There is so much to see! You can relax and see the entire wreck. We really enjoyed the yellow jaw fish we spotted! They entertained us for a good portion of our dive! I love relaxing and watching critters. On our last day of diving in Key Largo, there were only 3 of us on the dive boat, we decided to do 2 dives at this site! I recommend doing a pass at sand level and then down the middle of the wreck!

Reviewed February 13, 2012

The day we went, the viz was only about 20 feet, and it was cloudy so i'm sure this is way better on a sunny day with great viz. Lots of various kinds of fish, coral. Baracuda, lobster, tons of yellow fin, one huge grouper (way cool cuz it was so big). Easy dive on a naturally occuring wreck (it wasn't just sunk there to make a reef).