“Great Wreck Dive”
Review of USCG Duane

Ranked #14 of 71 things to do in Key Largo
More attraction details
Owner description: The 329-foot Coast Guard cutter Duane was sunk in 1987 to create an "artificial reef," which was specially prepared for advanced divers with clear, open hatchways and open rooms to explore.
Spokane, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Wreck Dive”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

If my memory serves me correct the Duane has been sitting on the bottom for 26 years now. It is a great dive site for recreational divers wanting to explore a "mature" coral encrusted wreck with lots of fish and life around the boat. We dove with Quiesence and the captain put us on the center of the boat with no surface currant. The current down on the wreck was easily manageable even for one of the newer divers in my party but I'm told that isn't always the case. We used Nitrox for this dive which extended our dive time a bit allowing us to quickly explore the entire boat in the 35 minute dive. I would certainly recommend this dive to anyone who carries an Advanced Open Water card and I would recommend doing it on Nitrox.

Visited May 2011

Kitchner, Ontario CANADA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Okay”
Reviewed January 13, 2007

Make sure it's a good day with very little current. This dive was deep and had very strong current. Not as pleasurable as some of the others. Interesting but wait for a good day!

1 Thank David_Carla