“It was beautiful, but very expensive!”

Hilton Key Largo Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Key Largo
Flordia
“It was beautiful, but very expensive!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed here on my honeymoon, and once we got here we went to check in at the front desk. We were told that they acctually charge you to park at there hotel which is like 15 bucks a day, pretty silly if you ask me, who charges hotel guests to park at their own hotel? Anyway, after that madness we went to our room which was very nice and modern. The toilet had a little issues but we had a nice balcony with a pretty view. The rooms were very clean or at least the one I stayed in was. The resort is awesome I loved sitting by the bay and swimming in the bay. The hammocks were an extra plus too. The pool was a little crazy but nice. Now with that said.....The drinks were outragous, my husband and I bought 4 drinks which costs us near 50 dollars. We also wanted to get room service one day but almost fell over when we saw the menu prices and they do not have much of a selection either. If you are claiming the "resort" status then you need to be upgraded to a Ritz to be charging those prices! The bar upstairs is quite stuffy and I almost felt like I was at a business meeting and not a bar. The workers are very nice and give alot of great advice of stuff to do, which helped alot. All in all it was a great stay for us but I think it is about what you make it. Enjoy your day by the bay or pool, but when you get hungry or thirsty make sure you leave to grab food and drinks or else you will have to take out a second morgage after your stay there! Oh and also if you need to use high speed internet they also make you pay 14 dollars a day to use theirs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Traveling_Always2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Spent 5 nights here while on vacation. It's a beautiful property, with mature trees and landscaping, a nice beach area, clean pools (one family, one adult, and a large spa) and a boardwalk and groomed path beneath the trees along the water. Remember, you are on the gulf side here (although this being the Keys, fringed with reefs, there are no real beaches in terms of crashing surf along miles of sandy beaches) so the water is calm.

Hilton extensively remodeled the lobby and rooms a few years ago, and the furnishings are very appealing and on par with other properties within the chain.

The only real complaint was the inconsistent housekeeping. Times they'd attempt to clean the room ran from 8:30 am (when one traveler was trying to sleep in) to around 4:30 (when we were trying to prepare to go out for the evening). The first three days we drank from the same two glasses, and finally asked for replacements. The ice bucket was never emptied by the staff, nor the coffee supplies replenished after the first day. These issues were all resolved by a quick phone call to guest services, and were not huge issues. But we feel housekeeping could be improved a bit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CaribbeanVacations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed overnight and the staff was excellent with the exception of the bartender by the waterfall pool. He was so busy with his own stuff that he totally ignored us! Beach bartenders and restaurant bartender were fabulous! Good room service.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank sdunb9
Miami, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

I recently stayed here as a getaway weekend with my family, and we made reservations in their Grande Suite. The hotel is very nice, and it has a great beach area and a dock to fish off from. There's also a nature walk area, where you'll find hammocks hidden in the trees. The pool area is great. It's actually a few steps away from the hotel, but once you're there, you can have your choice of picking two sides: one for adults only, and the other side is for families.

Hotel Staff & Room:
The Good News: The hotel is set in true Key Largo style. The staff is incredibly nice, and you'll always get a greeting every time you walk by them. If you stay in one of their Grande suites, you're guaranteed to have a view of a private beach. There's also your own whirlpool bath. Since my two kids were going to sleep on the pullout sofa, we called the front desk and they set it up while we were away for dinner. Oh, and the older gentleman who brought us our bags was incredibly nice.
The Bad News: While the Grande Suite is spacious, we did notice that there was no door between the bathroom and bedroom, making it real difficult for privacy. If you're like me who enjoys his private time in the bathroom, forget it. In other words, a person watching TV in the bedroom has a perfect view of you sitting on the toilet or drying off after a shower.

Beach & Pool:
The Good News: OK, so I mentioned that the pool area is a few steps from the hotel, but I didn't mention how great the staff is there. While we were swimming around and having a great time, a sweet, blonde attendant with a shell-shaped bowl approached us and offered slices of watermelon. Also, when it started raining and thundering, the same attendant handed out towels to the guests as they ran for cover. I don't know about you, but it's little things like that in which make a big difference to a hotel guest. Also, tucked away by limestone and tropical plants, there's a whirlpool bath area and a passage way from one pool to the other, which makes it easy for parents seeking some quiet time in the adult pool to check up on their kids in the family pool. The huge waterfall that divides the pools also blocks out the noise that may be coming from either side.
The Bad News: The food at its poolside restaurant Splashers is pricey, but their pina coladas are delicious.

Hotel Restaurant & Food:
The Good News: They have a restaurant on the third floor in the main building, which have special deals each night. The tiki-like bar near the beach will give you a chance to meet up with other hotel guests. On the third floor, they serve Starbucks coffee for an extra convenience. They also have a gift shop (located near the front desk) with snacks, drinks and souvenirs. The clerk at the gift shop (I forget her name) is fantastic.
The Bad News: My family and I never ate at the hotel restaurant, because it was way too expensive. I always went to the gift shop attendant to find out about great restaurants nearby. Breakfast at the tree top is about $19 per person.

Restaurant Recommendations:
- Snappers, located about a mile south of the hotel and on the left side, is a fantastic place to eat with the family. Snapper's offers an eclectic menu of the freshest seafood prepared with Caribbean, Mexican, & Asian flavors. Get there at sunset and request a table outside, if weather permits. Surrounded by docked boats, and lit tiki torches, the view of the water is spectacular. Anything on the menu is great. A dinner for two adults and two children came out to almost $100.
- Further down the main road on your right is Harrieta's. This little quaint little restaurant serves great, American style breakfast. It almost feels like you're walking into someone's home, with shirts on clothes hangers hung throughout. Make sure to order the home-made biscuit. You will not regret it. Our bill came out to $45 bucks.
- On our last night, we drove north to Sundowners On The Bay, which has great food and the best view of the Gulf. I recommend trying their key lime pie and chocolate cake.

PARKING:
The Good News: Parking spots are really convenient and close to the main road.
The Bad News: The hotel charges $12 a day for parking, which is ridiculous, considering that there is no valet parking and no security guard protecting the area.

Overall: I think this hotel is one of the nicest hotels in Key Largo, and I wouldn't mind coming back. But I think I want to try the Marriott Key Largo Bay Resort next time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank DamianGrass33166
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel was amazing. The food was the best hotel food that we have had in years. Italian Chef :)

If you want good food, great service and to have a good time, you should go to the Key Largo Grande Resort!!!!!!!!!

Also the Carribean Water sports is a great addition to a great hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pt9965
Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

This was our third and final hotel in the Keys. I have worked in the hotel industry for 14 years and believe me I understand check in time but I felt like we were waiting because someone couldn't be bothered to find out if the room was ready. It was really hot and I had two very tired children, I would suggest that you don't arrive at the hotel until after 4pm or be ready to go to the pool. Our room was miraculously ready at 4:01 and when we went up there wasn't a housekeeper in sight making me think that maybe it was ready earlier.
Staff, pool, beach, restaurant etc was all great. However, the room really does need a lot of work, size of the suite was perfect and we had a fabulous balcony and view but the room itself had broken drawers, cupboards, bathroom door, shower floor was uneven and a bit disgusting. Very little attention to details, for example when the bathroom door (pocket door) was painted it obviously wasn't pulled all the way across as part of it wasn't painted. When you have an old product a few small things can be easily overlooked but the simple things should be fixed and not left hanging off, a lot of little details and broken items adds up to a poor room experience.
I think we were most disappointed because we stay in a lot of Hilton hotels and are Hilton Grand Vacation owners and Hilton Honors members, we had just come from a sister hotel in Key West and this was the first less than perfect experience we have had with Hilton. Also this was the most expensive hotel we stayed in during our time in the Keys and I am really not sure why as the other hotels had better locations and facilities. The state of the room and the value for money really let down the friendly staff, restaurants, beach and pool

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank EMUP
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

From the point of view of a wheelchair, this was a pretty accessible hotel. There was a ramp from the driveway to reception, lots of lifts except for the one wheelchair lift from the ground floor to the driveway below. I managed to use it once, it broke down afterwards and it was not repaired in the 10 days we were there.

We were originally given two connecting rooms as a family and were then, thanks to Lisa Boles. Guest Ambassador, upgraded to a suite with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a large living area. The main bathroom (ours) was fitted with a roll in shower, a high toilet with an easy flush, lots of grab rails all around and at our request, a shower chair was provided. I must say that the first bathroom we had was also extremely accessible. As we moved into the suite, the carpet was being shampooed and all the rooms we occupied were clean. We had loads of fresh towels every day, the bed linen was the usual excellent Hilton and the beds were very comfortable indeed. I did find that our cleaner was lazy, and I asked her to come back and redo our rooms. As we were at the end of the building on the first floor we did get a view of the water, although in our first set of rooms we could only see trees and I do believe that the description " canopy view" would apply probably to the second and third floors!

The dining-room was accessible, including the top floor of the terrace, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was very good but if you ate there every evening, it could be boring as the menu never changed , and it was fairly expensive.

For wheelchairs, the beach was difficult. The main beach was very noisy with music and a bar, but the small beach we found to the left of the building was quiet with lots of plastic beach chairs and one metal table. It was approached by a small, uneven and stony road to a beach with a similarly uneven surface, sprinkled with sand, and sloping. No one seemed to attend to the beach ,though a few towels were sometimes put out..

Although I have a few adverse comments where some service appeared not be available, life in my wheelchair was not difficult for me in particular and we did enjoy being with our family.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Atlantic Bay Resort
Atlantic Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Tavernier
Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Key Largo Resort? Share your experiences!