“Worse than last year”

Hilton Key Largo Resort
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Key Largo
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We stayed here last summer when it was a Sheraton. I saw no change from Sheraton to Hilton other than a different color bedspread and a flat screen tv. A/C still doesn't work right, front desk staff not friendly. Carribean Watersports now has some teenage guy running the show under the direction of the owner (or some older guy) and this kid is obnoxious. He was yelling at everyone who didn't obey their rules perfectly. Embarrassing to watch him yell at jet ski renters in front of entire beach. Lady working the rentals spent too much time freaking out about a lizard instead of helping customers. Took her forever to do our paperwork just to rent a jetski for 30 minutes. Guy who worked there last year was much better to deal with. Biggest improvement was the new bartender - finally a guy with some personality and friendliness. We stayed one night out of the two we booked and then were forced to evacuate and cut vacation short due to Tropical Storm Fay. We relocated to Miami Beach and stayed in the Courtyard Marriott which was great. I don't understand why management at Key Largo Grande don't run this hotel better. It's dumpy, restaurants and dull and overprices and to charge people to park in a tiny, cramped parking lot is ridiculous. I don't recommend this hotel, go further down to Islamorada or stay in Key West. Sorry Hilton but I was not impressed, there was no improvements from last year when it was a Sheraton. I never saw the tiki torches lit at the entrance like I did last year, what's up with that?

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2008

I hate that one bad thing had a big impact on my stay here but I don't want that to taint the whole review. So first I will say this is a nice hotel in a decent location and right on the gulf so it has a cute little beach area with hammocks. It also has a great pool. They have an adult pool area which is nex to but seperate yet almost the same as the family pool area. It was nice to have that separation. They also have a jacuzzi but i didn't get to use it. The lobby is beautiful and outside is lined with some amazing trees and a nature path to the beach. The rooms were well appointed and the beds were comfortable. Nice TV in the bedroom as well as a separate livingroom area which was nice so my husband could watch TV and I could sleep. The ony issue I had was the door. It stuck so hard that we could not open it when we returned and had to literally thrown ourselves at the door. Then we couldn't get it to latch when it closed. It was so bad that even the poor maintenance man could do little to help us. I think others were having problems too because we heard a lot of door slamming. I felt bad having to slam the door 20 times in the early morning or late at night. I think it is due to being an old hotel that was renovated but they forgot the doors. That was really annoying and tainted an otherwise nice stay.

Reviewed August 9, 2008

This was an awsome vacation and I would certainly go back again! Views were awsome, room was clean and new, and if you didn't want to leave the resort you didn't have to. Food was excellant and service was quick and courtious. I had some real concerns before we left because a few reviews said "don't waste your money" which left me feeling unsure about this hotel. But when we arrived it was everything we wanted and more, Secluded, quiet, excellant staff and accomodations. It was a bit pricy, but everything in the keys is pricy. We found the hotel to be no more expensive then outside shops and resturants. If you are looking for a place with tons of activities for kids, this will keep them busy for a few days, but there is plenty of stuff to do around the area. If you are looking for peace and quiet, romance, or relaxation time with kids, this is the place to go!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Had intended to stay for four nights before flying from Miami back to the UK but stayed just the one. We had booked a grand ocean view room which was just so grubby and out dated with a badly stained and frayed carpet and cheap motel type bed linen.I asked to be moved but the member of staff who came to show us another room said that it was worse than the one we had. The room overlooked a small, apparently man made beach area which resembled an itinerant site and the pool area is showing signs of wear and is looking very tired. Although this is not an expensive hotel its not cheap either so its time to smarten its act up. It is dismal and trying to be something it is not. Full marks to the staff however.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Hilton Resort.
We could not see the beach from our room, as the trees were over grown and blocked our view. We were in room 343, the bugs were bad, little ones, and roaches.
We had breakfast one morning, nonething special, almost $50.00.
The beach area was keep up very nice.
Had to ask for clean towles one day, housekeeping not the best.
I went to check out and they over charged me for the room, I had to go up and dig in the trash to prove the amout that I had booked for. We would not go back.
Joyce Halverson

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed there with my three daughters (2 teen and one younger). We loved the place. Great staff...pools were awesome. Beach was great also. Only negatives: $12 parking fee per night, and our room was not ready at check in (4pm). For food we went to different rest.'s in area. Rib daddy's great steak (a little pricey, but real good food); mrs macks (great for lunch), Sundowners (pricey but fun). We can't wait to go back again. My kids (8-16) had a great time.

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our stay at the Hilton was just ok (July 25-27). It was pleasant enough although we did feel that the hotel was not up to "typical" Hilton standards.
The good: Friendly service and staff. Lots of smiles. View from our grand water room was spectacular! Nice, small private beach area for swimming and sunning. Great music played there during the day. They also hand out refreshing complimentary frozen treats to beach guests. Enjoyed strolling along the nature trail and fishing dock very much. We had the breakfast buffet which was tasty and the service and view from their top floor outdoor patio made the pricy $18/person worthwhile.

The bad: There were no welcome key lime coolers as promised (for Hilton Club Members). We had a king bed preference but they didn't come through for us and we were stuck with two queen beds. Lots of stains on the carpet. The bathroom was not cleaned adequately. Found stray hairs on the wall and in the tub. Air conditioning unit very noisy. Mini-fridge did not work properly. The elevators were dirty and stifling - no fans. The $12 per night accessed parking fee is just plain ridiculous. Towels supplied at the beach were way too small. The swimming pools are not in a desirable location - no view - situated between the parking lot and highway (although there's a waterfall to drown out highway traffic noise). The property is very secluded so if you want to find restaurants/establishments outside the property you have to drive a while.

We would definitely not stay here again. Would probably opt for the Marriott which appears to be a nicer property with a pool overlooking the beach and conveniently located near great bars and restaurants, or a place on Islamorada next time.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple