“Bait and Switch, worst experienc e ever.”
Review of Ocean Divers

Ocean Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Divers is a scuba diving, snorkeling and water sport destination in Key Largo. Our boats leave the docks of the Marriott Key Largo to visit the reefs and wrecks of Key Largo. Come rent stand-up paddleboards, waverunners, kayaks. Come do an eco tour or a sunset cruise! Fly high above Key Largo parasailing and get a 20 mile view. Seize the deep!
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We had booked with Ocean Divers 5 months in advance. Receiving absolutely no communication with them whatsoever, I called to make sure that everything was ok, what time to show up, etc. Only then was I informed that they did not do the Spiegel Grove on Mondays, and that they had over-booked the morning boats. After a couple of tersely worded emails and stressed-out phone calls, they shifted us to the Keys Diver charter boat. We showed up the day before (March 14th/2010) Signed the waivers and were told to be at the appointed marina at 7:15 the next morning. We showed up, met the guide that was supposed to go with us (A man named Mish), and went out. We PAID for a 2-tank dive on teh USS Spiegel Grove. We got to the Spiegel Grove, got to the wreck (Bad viz, but no ones fault), and enjoyed a 10 minute dive. Mish called the dive after 10 minutes. I climbed back aboard with 1700 PSI still in the tank, as did my son. We were then told we would be going to "French Reef" And left. 15 minutes later we arrived there, descended, and spent 20 minutes on a shallow, beat-to-hell reef with almost nothing to see. I could see our guide was visibly cold, he cut the dive again we had 1700 in the tank, back on the boat, and soon back to the marina. Perhaps Ocean DIvers is indeed a good charter company, but they did not prove that to our family. I'll not be a repeat customer. There are other chater companies out there, I am sure.

9  Thank KenHewitt
in 8 reviews
"these guys"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed December 19, 2009

I have been diving since 1974 and honestly have never had such a bad experience as I did with OD. I require at least 16 lbs of lead to maintain neutral bouyancy. The dive master prohibited this and limited me to twelve pounds. What a waste of time and money. We them dumped about 30 or 40 divers into the water on a deep dive. The dive master miscalculated the cuurents and more than half the divers returned with less than 200 lbs of air, many of them having to swim a considerable distance against the current to return to the dive boat. There were seven of us in our dive party in Key Largo for a week. We immediately canceled the rest of the dives scheduled with OD and went elsewhere. If you value you safety, avoid this poor operation.

4  Thank Brian320fo
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Our dive club from Kansas just spent three days and 11 dives with Ocean Divers. They are incredibly conscience of every level of diver. Their rental gear (tanks/lights/Nitrox) was always first-rate and their staff was friendly, professional and safe-minded. As I stated, we did 11 dives; 3 wrecks (deep) and 1 night dive. They were always concerned about our safety at each pre-dive briefing with regards to the site/history/currents/general education about site. I would highly recommend Ocean Divers. Secondly, in those 11 dives we saw: a large nurse shark, multiple southern rays, hawksbill turtle and amazing flora/fauna. Most of the reefs were like swimming in an aquarium. They also provided a cooler for your own drinks, plus cold water and fresh FL oranges for each diver. The boat rides out the site were fun because you can site up above or out on the bow to take in the scenery. Don't forget to look into the canal on the way out - we saw 2 spotted rays as well. For ammenities, right next to Ocean Diver's is The Galley. It's a wonderful place to grab a quick bite (and rehydrate) and every meal we had there (3 meals) was fantastic. Even after a little stomach ache the first day, they handed me Ginger Ale and crackers! Great people, great place...amazing underwater life in the sanctuary. Also try The Pilot House for fun/great food. Thanks Ocean Divers!!

1  Thank elodiejones
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My girlfriend and I did a night dive with Ocean Divers in mid-November. This was not the high season, so there aren't a lot of full boats in Key Largo and Tavernier. Ocean Divers was the ONLY operator we could find in the area who would take out a group consisting only of the two of us! They said "you committed to us, we'll take you diving." What a refreshing bit of customer service that was. Speaking of which, the operation was first-rate, the captain and mate were very knowledgeable and helpful, and we had a great time. We'll be back.

1  Thank Dugaru