“Ocean Divers & Recreational Rebreathers”
Review of Ocean Divers

Ocean Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Divers is a scuba diving, snorkeling and water sport destination in Key Largo. Our boats leave the docks of the Marriott Key Largo to visit the reefs and wrecks of Key Largo. Come rent stand-up paddleboards, waverunners, kayaks. Come do an eco tour or a sunset cruise! Fly high above Key Largo parasailing and get a 20 mile view. Seize the deep!
Hudson Valley NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ocean Divers & Recreational Rebreathers”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is my third time diving with Ocean Divers, so I knew I could expect great service, professionally run dive boats and most importantly FUN!
This time I took the PADI Rebreather/ Advanced Rebreather class and purchased a Poseidon M6. This was one of the best classes I have ever taken for scuba. My instructor, Shawn Robotka, gave a great class, presenting the material in a clear and complete manner. Every part of the course, from the classroom to the pool and the ocean was conducted in a safe and professional manner. It was also great fun.
Joe did a great job helping me purchase my new rebreather, making sure that I had everything I needed and got it at a fair price. All of the staff members are friendly, helpful and professional; ensuring that you’re diving is both fun and safe.
If you have not yet tried a rebreather, Ocean Divers is a great place to start. You don’t have to shell out big bucks to buy one; they will rent you a rebreather so that you can take the class and then decide if it is for you.
Jeffrey Haines (NAUI Instructor # 52075)

1 Thank AquaShot

Shelby Twp, MI
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Ocean Divers - PADI Rescue Course”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Back again at Ocean Divers (OD) for more training! Was last there Aug 2012 with my son for more PADI training. (Deep & Wreck) This time was solo and took the PADI rescue course (Sept 6-9).

First about OD. As expected they had a few changes in Dive Masters. Two new faces and some old friends. Level of skill and professionalism was top notch, as expected. Captains were the same and did a great job. These guys really know that area well and take great care over diver safety. EAN tank rental was improved with new O2 analyzer and pressure gauge all in one connection. Check in was again simple and easy.

So on to the rescue course. Instructor was Shaun Robotka. His opening statement was he is not there to be my friend, but make sure I learn everything required by PADI and above that have the skills to improve the potential outcome of a rescue situation. In simple terms, PDAI's requirements were just the baseline, he made sure the skills were there. Working with Shaun was Dalton as the "victim" for training exercises.

While I could go into great detail, I will keep it short. Shaun was fantastic. It was by the book training, with adaptation to my learning style and speed. Showing up having read the PADI manual, taken the quizzes, and watched the DVD, we did it all in class anyway. Even making sure I could perform EFR, CPR, AED, and O2 provider. Talk about being thorough!

Pool trainnig was tough. Not in the sense difficult tasks, but making sure each lesson was done properly; each and every time. If I had questions Shaun would stop, explain, and repeat if needed. It is a long day, so be prepared.

Open water dives. Where the training is put to the test. Shaun made this as real world as possible. From a panicked diver on the surface, to a missing diver, to unresponsive diver at depth and then brought to the surface. Even throwing in a second victim at one point. What he taught in class and built upon in the pool was all brought together seamlessly in the OW portion.

To everyone who reads this let me make a few points. Shaun has a military background. His style shows that. This matched with me, so we worked very well together. Was he barking orders, NO! But he did expect that each and every step was done correctly and in the right order. And he did that in a positive manner. Second is you had better be in good physical condition. If you think because you go to the gym or run marathons you are in shape, think again. There are a lot of muscle groups you don't even realize you need for this. Third, come prepared. I did all my book work up front and watched the DVD several times. Have all the pre-requisite training done. This is just as much a mental exercise as physical. Lastly, have fun! Yes it is a challenge, yet if you are not having some fun, then it will seem that much harder.

Again Ocean Divers exceeded my expectations! If you ever want more PADI training, they are the place to go in the Keys!

Guys I will see you in thte sprong of 2014 for more training.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank SyrRduDtw
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ocean Divers is First Class Operation”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My son and I went to Key Largo, FL for the first time in mid-August. We selected Ocean Divers for our two days of morning and afternoon charter dives. The dive boats were large, sea worthy and well maintained. The captain and crew were very accomodating to our every need. The office staff answered all of our questions and helped us through the registration process.

The only thing we would do differently would be to stay at the Holiday Inn using our award points.

We hope to return again next year and dive with Ocean Divers.

Visited August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Christ of the Deep is an Easy and Fun Dive”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Pros:
1. Staff is friendly
2. I actually was sent here by another shop in Miami. The gear wasn't up to par and the team at Ocean Divers helped me solve the issue
3. Boat was fine
4. The restaurant next door has fantastic fish tacos. I'd recommend one!

Cons:
1. Ask about Jelly Fish conditions. They were all over in the first 6 feet and you will want some sort of protection. I didn't have any and survived but others did get stung. They did have vinegar on board to help neutralize the impact.

Did they have a dive master in the water? No. Was I bothered. Not really. Christ of the deep is marked by a buoy and in 25 ft of water. The staff went through all the safety checks, I found a guy to be my diving buddy and it was happy days.

San Jose, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Terrible service, go elsewhere.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

In order to keep this short I'm only going to focus on the biggest issue I had with them. I went on a boat with my husband (my dive buddy) we were told before boarding that there were 6 people on board. Once we were on our way we were grouped into two groups of 3. No one bothered to ok this with my husband and me first, which as far as I was taught is a big safety issue. We should never have agreed to this, but we were trying to be corporative. First dive, we spent time talking with the 3rd guy going over gear and signals as well as the dive plan. During the dive this guy didn't follow a single bit of the plan among a bunch of other issues. Neither my husband or I felt comfortable diving with him again.

When we got back on the boat I quietly explained this to one of the crew. I assumed that would be the end of that. No. Second dive comes up, I get told by the captain that he "isn't able to accommodate my request" A bunch of fuss and hassle later, my husband and I are not allowed to dive without the 3rd guy. We were told, "He paid for two dives."

This is completely absurd. He paid for dives. Not to dive with us. Simple, done.

Once we got back to shore we demanded a refund, which we eventually got. I may have upped the rating to 2 stars because of this, but they were about as rude as they could be while giving the refund. No apology, no promise to revise this add on diver policy. And the worst bit as we were leaving we were told. "That guy you are complaining about is a master scuba instructor and therefore more qualified than you." First this comment isn't helpful, it's rude. Second, if truly was that qualified he should not have done 90% of the things he did during that dive.

Find another dive shop. If for some reason you think they still deserve your business at least be VERY clear before you give them money what you will and will not be doing.

6 Thank Jennifer L