“Terrible service, go elsewhere.”
Review of Ocean Divers

Ocean Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Divers is a scuba diving, snorkeling and water sport destination in Key Largo. Our boats leave the docks of the Marriott Key Largo to visit the reefs and wrecks of Key Largo. Come rent stand-up paddleboards, waverunners, kayaks. Come do an eco tour or a sunset cruise! Fly high above Key Largo parasailing and get a 20 mile view. Seize the deep!
Reviewed September 8, 2013

In order to keep this short I'm only going to focus on the biggest issue I had with them. I went on a boat with my husband (my dive buddy) we were told before boarding that there were 6 people on board. Once we were on our way we were grouped into two groups of 3. No one bothered to ok this with my husband and me first, which as far as I was taught is a big safety issue. We should never have agreed to this, but we were trying to be corporative. First dive, we spent time talking with the 3rd guy going over gear and signals as well as the dive plan. During the dive this guy didn't follow a single bit of the plan among a bunch of other issues. Neither my husband or I felt comfortable diving with him again.

When we got back on the boat I quietly explained this to one of the crew. I assumed that would be the end of that. No. Second dive comes up, I get told by the captain that he "isn't able to accommodate my request" A bunch of fuss and hassle later, my husband and I are not allowed to dive without the 3rd guy. We were told, "He paid for two dives."

This is completely absurd. He paid for dives. Not to dive with us. Simple, done.

Once we got back to shore we demanded a refund, which we eventually got. I may have upped the rating to 2 stars because of this, but they were about as rude as they could be while giving the refund. No apology, no promise to revise this add on diver policy. And the worst bit as we were leaving we were told. "That guy you are complaining about is a master scuba instructor and therefore more qualified than you." First this comment isn't helpful, it's rude. Second, if truly was that qualified he should not have done 90% of the things he did during that dive.

Find another dive shop. If for some reason you think they still deserve your business at least be VERY clear before you give them money what you will and will not be doing.

7  Thank Jennifer L

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked this dive because their schedule showed they were going to Christ Of The Deep. You can imagine our surprise when as we are pulling away from the dock, it was announced that we were going somewhere else. We went to a shallow site because there were snorkelers on the boat. The waves were four foot & the boat was really rocking. It was so rough, the snorkelers didn't even get in & we were so shallow that you couldn't even get in the water to help the sea sickness. Half the boat was sick. The crew member they called Hasselhoff, barked orders & yelled at us repeatedly. It was terrible. I felt like the crew was enjoying everyone's discomfort. I was so ill that I inadvertently left my fins on the boat. When I returned the next day, I was told they had been left laying outside & apparently disappeared. They couldn't even have locked them up until I could return? We will never dive with Ocean Divers again.

4  Thank ScubamomPlusson
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I dived with Ocean Divers in August 2013 and would not recommend this dive shop to others. Before sharing why I would not recommend Ocean Divers, I should say that the woman I spoke to on the phone before arriving in Key Largo was very pleasant and helpful in terms of making recommendations. Upon arriving in Key Largo, we checked in with Ocean Divers and again were treated very nicely. The equipment is all excellent (Scuba Pro).

However, I have a few complaints about Ocean Divers. First, the day felt more like a "factory" than an experience to remember. The dive boat we were on had 26 passengers, which is far and away the most amount of people I've ever been with on a dive boat. The boat is not very large and I believe every spot for a tank was taken on the boat. This made for a very uncomfortable and unpleasant dive experience. To make matters worse, the seas were turbulent on the day we dived so many people were sea sick on the boat.

Second, I never got the impression that the Dive Master or the other Ocean Divers personnel cared about our safety. If you are an extremely skilled diver and feel you do not need any assistance from the Dive Master then perhaps this company is for you. But for me I believe that a certain percentage of the fee I pay is going toward the Dive Master making sure people are diving properly, have their gear set up correctly, etc. (otherwise, we could just rent a boat, get a couple tanks, then go diving at a reef on our own) None of these things were taken care of. This was also the first time I have dived where the Dive Master did not dive with the group on the boat. My wife and I dived together and not under the supervision of anyone from Ocean Divers. We were solely responsible for putting together all our equipment and no one bothered to check to see if we put it together correctly. Perhaps this is the expectation of some people, but it was not our expectation and certainly Ocean Divers did not explain that they do not provide much service except a ride to the reef/wreck and rental of gear. I was motivated to write this review so that others go into their experience with eyes wide open.

I imagine Ocean Divers would counter my comments by saying that due to the amount of people on the boat the Dive Master could not reasonably have supervised everyone diving that day. That's fine, but then perhaps Ocean Divers should not allow 26 people on the boat.

A few words about the quality of the diving: we dove Benwood Wreck and French Reef. Benwood was somewhat interesting but visibility was low, possibly due to poor weather. Maybe it was just bad luck, but we didn't see much besides some cool fish and the wreck itself. French Reef was very underwhelming. My wife saw an Eagle Ray (unfortunately I missed it!) and that was the highlight of the dive for her.

2  Thank JF81
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I believe they are one of the worst dive shops still operating. Safety first usually! Go elsewhere.my diving has taken me many places this experience was the worst since I started.

6  Thank Mikemontalto
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Extremely professional dive operation in Key Largo. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, comfortable and safe boats and reasonable rates. I earned my Advanced Open Water through through them. David Felice is a great instructor and I would recommend him and Ocean Divers to anyone.