“Wonderful afternoon on the Reef Roamer”

Reef Roamer Snorkel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snorkeling and Sailing Adventure on a safe, comfortable and well-appointed catamaran.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Thank you Jon and Allen for making our first snorkeling adventure fun and memorable. We will definitely be coming back.

All reviews
"small group"
in 4 reviews
"great captain"
in 3 reviews
"john pennekamp state park"

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a great time on the reef roamer. The day we were there the water was rough but they made the best of the conditions. I would recommend them for snorkeling in Key Largo.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a very appreciative crew of 3 as we embarked the 9am sail. Headed for Molasses Reef in the John Pennekamp Park, 7 miles from shore, on a perfect morning, with handy info regarding anchoring, local history, landmarks, etc. The only way the trip could have been better was if the waves had cooperated. They decided to kick up, swirling the sand, creating large swells that lifted you then tried to drop you onto the fragile corals, obscuring your vision. None of the 6 passengers were able to last the full hour in those waters. We all returned to the catamaran within 30 minutes.

So, to make up for it, we took a nice leisurely cruise back to port. It really was very nice, making the best out of a somewhat disappointing situation. Kudos to the crew.

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Staff makes the trip Sam and Hans were funny, personable, and promoted safety. The catamaran was stable so rocky seas were not an issue.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have to say that this was the WORST snorkeling experience I have had thus far. The crew was nice enough, and the theory behind the snorkelling trip (bringing us out to two dive sites, then sailing back in on their catamaran) was GREAT, but that's about where the good parts end. Since my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer this summer, he has talked almost non-stop about how he wanted to go snorkeling over the Christmas break (as he is no longer allowed to scuba dive). That was his "dying wish," so to speak. When we arrived at the Reef Roamer location (a shack outside the Marriot), the lady was yelling about how rude another customer was and using profanities to describe a customer on the morning booking. As I proceeded to check in, I sent my husband over to A picnic table they had by the stairs where customers boarded the catamaran. The lady checked us in, but was very short and acted like we should know how to check in already. That aside, I was able to finally get checked in, then joined my husband on their 1 table for almost an hour in the hot sun-no shade provided-no water provided-and waited for the crew members to have their lunch and restock their coolers with beer; FINALLY we got to board. By this point however, my husband was so annoyed and hot, he was already getting pretty agitated (he's on a lot of medication that alters his moods). We eventually boarded the boat and proceeded to head out to our first location. Once on location, the waves were looking pretty big, but the captain assured us they were only "2-3 feet swells" and encouraged everyone off the boat that came to snorkel. That being said, I literally think I almost drowned. I swallowed so much water, as the swells were way over our heads, and the current was so tough, I almost couldn't make it back to the boat-and I'm a good swimmer! I had to drag my husband back to the boat and help him get back up the ladder (all 320 lbs mind you!) and make sure he was alright from the experience. The crew brought us to their second location, and only 4 peopel got off the boat (they were from Canada and a family of swimmers). The captain said he "talked to his manager" and that he was allowed to give us free "punch" (rum-punch) as a consolation for the whole trip being a bust. woo-hoo. At the very least, we should've gotten a partial refund when we got back to shore, but our "prize" for being such good sports and choosing their snorkeling company was "free punch." Wow. I just have to say, for a man's dying wish, this was a pretty sh***y experience. :(
-Sincerely,