“The Best Stay For My $$$”

Bayside Inn Key Largo
Ranked #15 of 17 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We went to the keys for the first time ever for our honeymoon, and I had searched endlessley for a room in a good area on the ocean in our price range wich was under 200.00 aq night,. I came across Bayside Inn and it seemed to be a great choice.

I am thrilled we chose it, we stayed 4 nights in a very spacious bright clean room with great costumer service. We got to sit in the lounge chairs all day and night and watch the sunset on their private mini beach, one of the only ones around like it... I would say if you are on any kind of budget and want an amazing experience, this is the place to stay.

We were right by local shopping and great restaurants all of wich we walked to.. Loved the location... if they put a few more items on their continental breakfast it would be just short of perfect !!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a nice 4 night stay at the Bayside Inn. They claim to be a 3-star property with affordable accommodations. I found these claims to be true, especially with the great deal that we got through our dive and stay package at SCUBA-Fun.
We were greeted at reception by friendly and helpful staff. The wifi is free, and worked well for us. Our room was on the first floor. The beds were fairly comfortable, and the room was quiet. There was no view whatsoever, but we are the sort who use our room for sleeping and showering, we go out of the room for sight-seeing. That being said, we enjoyed the sunset from their beach with a few beverages that we bought at the market, and kept cold in the room’s refrigerator. The large TV was nice too. Although the Inn seems to have been around awhile, the fixtures, TV, fridge, and blow dryer were all updated and in good working order.
The location was close to dive boats, but still required a drive.
Some reviews have noted the rooms to be dirty. I felt the room was clean, but there were some rust stains where there was metal... this is a tropical destination... that is going to happen.
We also made use of the laundry facilities. A load of laundry is $2 to wash, $2 to dry, and you must have your own detergent. I know, who wants to do laundry while on vacation? It was convenient and nice to wash a few items that we needed. We had change, but the front desk will make change for you should you need it.
It's not a resort, but a nice room with a nice little beach on Key Largo.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Key Largo is filled with dumpy locally owned hotels. If you can't afford to stay at the Marriott, the Hilton or the Ocean Reef Club, which are beautiful facilities, this is not a bad place. I've stayed here 5 times in the last 2 years. Rooms are generally pretty clean, the beds are comfortable, the location is nice in that you can sit on a lounge chair next to the bay and watch the sunset, the pool is small but clean, the sand volleyball court is nice. There is some deferred maintance in a couple of places, such as some of the external hallways, but nothing horrible (at least by Florida Keys standards). When I travel to Key Largo for scuba dive trips: this is where I usually stay. Almost all the other similar priced places, except Ocean Pointe condos, I've stayed in have been complete and terrible dumps.

In my opinion, when you travel to the Keys, you need to lower your normal standards a bit unless you want to pay a lot of money for a room. By Key Largo standards, this is a pretty decent place and I will return again for weekend getaways: then again, I don't spend much time at the hotel and am basically using it as a place to lay my head at night. If you plan to spend a whole week in Key Largo and plan to spend a lot of time at a hotel facility (rather than fishing, diving or boating), suck it up and go to the Marriott or another resort facility.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2011

we stayed at the Bayside Inn en route to Key West from Miami. Granted, Miami is a large city where hotels face a lot of competition but the comparison between the very reasonably priced Blue Moon Hotel on South Beach ($92 a night) and the Bayside Inn in Key Largo could not have been more stark.
The Bayside was overpriced, shabby and not very clean. Our room was one of the few in the hotel that purported to have a bay view but if you are expecting fantastic vistas you'll be disappointed. You can glimpse a patch of water through the trees but you certainly can't view the whole bay. On the plus side, if you walk down to the small beach there is a jetty from which you can get a fanstastic view of the sunset.

Unfortunately the room was not the only thing we had issue with - the breakfast was truly dreadful. Processed white bread, packaged porridge oats or kelloggs cornflakes, coffee in a thermos and concentrate orange. All served on a small table in the hotel lobby next to the reception desk with insufficient seating, Cost for room and breakfast was $175.

The only saving grace was the excellent Japanese restaurant next to the hotel.

2  Thank walkermorris
abesil, Manager at Bayside Inn Key Largo, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay with us and we do apologize for not meeting your expectations.
Rates in the Florida Keys can be generally higher than South Beach hotels especially in the mid-Hotel range product (i.e. 3 star). Additionally peak season (along with peak rates) are from January - March each year in the Florida Keys. We do keep a very close eye on neighboring hotel rates and consistently offer some of the lowest rates in town for our standard, bayview, and suite products. In regards to the breakfast, this is not a valid claim. Our continental breakfast (free) includes fresh bread, a variety of cereals, a variety of danish, a variety of quaker brand oatmeal, fresh fruit, fresh orange juice, folgers coffee, hot tea, and milk. We do hope the readers of this understand that claims on this website do not allow for verification nor proof that the individual in fact stayed at the Hotel.

Thank you.

If in fact this is a valid posting, Though our rate may have been higher

Reviewed January 29, 2011

Stayed one night for the Key Largo Seafood Festival. Hotel is average at best. I don't know which room the other reviewers where staying to merit an excellent rating. Our room on the 3rd floor was sufficient for the one night.

The room was larger than average with furniture that was showing it's age. The bed was comfortable and allowed for a good night's sleep. The big screen TV was a plus. The bathroom was adequate, nothing special, although the toilet tank was very slow to fill up.

The view from the back of the room was blocked by tall trees. We could not see the water. It seemed to me that the only rooms with a view of the water are the rooms at the end of the building facing the bay. I saw one ant by the sink, but I wasn't put off by it . I contibuted the ant's presence to the sink being right next to the door which led to the outdoors.

The frame of one window screen was dented, causing a 1/4" gap between the frame and screen. Fortunately it was not mosquito season so it did not affect us.

The attention to detail is lacking in the cleaning department. The window sill hasn't been cleaned in quite some time. The dirt was starting to pile up. The screen needing cleaning or replacing. The top side of the wire shelf in the closet was dirty. The room smelled like it was sprayed with an air freshener that was not pleasant and lingered in the air. It took us a while to get use to that particular fragrance.

The view of the bay from the "beach" and dock was great. The "beach" is a small area enclosed by the dock.

The receptionist was a very pleasant young lady, but spoke a little fast. The housekeeper opened the room door for my girlfriend without asking for ID.

I chose this hotel over the Marriot because it was $85 cheaper for the night. Would I stay here again? If it was for one night just for a place to sleep, probably yes. If it was me and my girlfriend, no. It's a 3-star hotel, just as the owner says in his rebuttal to some of the negative reviews.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

this hotel was recommended at the visitors center, and was very nice.
It may not be 'flashy and brand new' but very nice quality in the bedding and towels, and the staff was very nice. For the price a great bargin.
definatly would stay here again.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

I booked a two nights stay at the Bayside Inn on Key Largo for a Birthday trip with my girlfriend from January 5th to the 7th. Looking around on the internet for hotels in the Keys, the pictures of the Bayside Inn on their website would finally make me chose this hotel. Those pictures did not lie!

After arriving on Key Largo at the Hotel I realized I would not regret my decision to stay here. If you don't mind staying on another island than Key West, Largo is great and the Bayside is close to a lot of stores and restaurants. Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly staff member at the concierge desk and the check in process was quick and easy.

I booked a Bayview room with a king size bed. We had room number 301. The room is facing (as the name suggests) the bay to the west, so it is on the opposite side of the hotel from the main road leading through the islands (US-1). It is quiet and the view is spectacular, especially in the evening for the sunsets. The room features tile floors, a nice bathroom, a fridge, ice and soda machines, a coffee maker (with different varieties of coffee) as well as a huge flatscreen television. A (really) minor drawback for the tv was the incorrectly incoming DirecTV signal, which came in at Standard definition 4 by 3 instead of 16 by 9. So it was either stretched out to fill the whole screen or you had black bars on the left and right. Not a big problem since I don't assume anyone visits the Keys just to watch tv. Everything was very clean and the housekeeping staff did a great job keeping it that way.

The Hotel itself features a private beach on the bay. It's nice and quiet and perfect to relax in the afternoon sun after a hard day of driving, diving or anything else you did. Just know that there's not a lot of fine sand there so your kids wouldn't be able to build sand castles. I saw that they also had a fitness room although I did not use that and there is also a small pool beachfront. In the morning there is a complimentary continental breakfast. Toast, Danish, fruit, cereal, coffee and orange juice. Small but more than enough to get you going in the morning plus there is a sushi restaurant in the hotel. The Bayside also features free wifi access and they have a computer/printer anyone can use by their concierge desk. The drive to Key West is about an hour and a half, so it's a nice day trip from the Bayside. Another Florida Keys attraction is located very close to the hotel, the John Pennecamp State Reef.

2  Thank Flying_Phil1982