“Great place to enjoy nature”

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
2-Day Miami South Beach Adventure from Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A beautiful state park that features land and undersea adventures.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Miami, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great place to enjoy nature”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice park. The 2 beaches are small, typical for the Keys. From one there you can snorkel and see Spanish cannon and an anchor and some fish. Good place to try out snorkeling. The real draw is taking out the Glassbottom boat or going on a snorkel or scuba trip. Or renting kayaks or canoes and heading through the mangrove canals. Also some short nature trails. The Visitor Center is terrific -- with a big aquarium, and smaller aquarium displays. The film is a good introduction to fish on the reef. My child really enjoyed it! The little snack bar in the gift shop has good snacks and an awesome peanut butter & jelly. Good key lime pie, too! All in all: a mellow place to enjoy nature. Don't go expecting large beaches.

1 Thank FlaTravlers

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
North Fort Myers, Florida
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“No Sandy Beach”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Start your visit with an entrance fee more than advertised on their website. Unfriendly staff taking your money & continuing conversations with other workers while they ignore you with only enhance the fact that this is not what you'd expect for a "beach" location. Rocks, dirt, & lots of sea grass await you at this park, with close to zero visibility for your snorkeling pleasures. They have a "re-creation" of a Spanish ship wreck about 100' off shore that consists of a large anchor & some cannons. Do your self a favor, take a boat tour. Not worth the money. The gate fees go up if you have more than 2 people in the car. What a racket.

Winter Garden, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“glass bottom tour..”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked the glass bottom boat tour 3 days in advanced. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone was friendly and informative.
I prepped myself with sea sick pills and all, just in case(I am sea-sick prone).

I received a call a half hour before we had to be the the park to say that all tours have been cancelled due to wind. We were disappointed but totally understood. We didn't know what else to do so we decided to check out the park anyway just to walk around.

We drove up and was told immediately by the attendant at the booth that all tours have been cancelled that day. Not even a hello or anything. What upset us even more, is it seemed like we were keeping this lady from her personal manicure, as she continued to file away at her nails as she tried to turn us away. What the!?!?! There was no friendliness at all-we decided to just get out of there as soon as possible. I hope to do the glass bottom boat tour the next time I can make it to the keys, but I HOPE I don't have to interact with that woman again.
by the way there is a $10 fee to get into the park

5 Thank raisinette
Colorado Springs, CO
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Expecting Something Different”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was totally expecting this park to be totally different. We did the snorkeling trip and it was good, pricey if you have to rent gear and wetsuits. But if your going just for the park, I think there are better places to visit.

Townsend, Tennessee
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Nice beaches”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

There are several nice braces here for sunbathing , swimming and snorkeling. Usually the water is very clear. Dive and snorkeling boat trips are available for tours here several times a day. Call first though to get a place. There are also 3 short trails, however the Hammock trail is damaged so you cannot get to the observation tower. Overall a must when in Key Largo.