“nice state park for the area”

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
Ranked #4 of 73 things to do in Key Largo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A beautiful state park that features land and undersea adventures.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 29, 2012

we stayed here overnight and they have repaved and added full hookups to a lot of the sites. sites are pretty tight if you have a larger rig.lots to do but the beaches are a little rocky and being a state park they don't clean seaweed off the beach. overall good place to stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,457)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went to rent kayaks, and the trip was easy and decent money. We took the intermediate route, and it was fun for all of us.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Snorkeling was cancelled the day we visited. It was unusually cold and windy, and due to the choppiness of the water and previous descriptions of motion sickness during calm weather we skipped the boat tour. We still managed to enjoy the walking paths and wading around shallow waters. The aquariums in the visitor center are beautiful and we enjoyed the gift shop.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

While visiting the fabulous Fl Keys I stopped by Key Largo's John Pennekamp state park. It's a good place to go with the kids, but their customer service makes it all the more a better experience. I was attended by a young man named Jose he was so patient and understanding of all our kids needs and ours as well. My sons favorite color is green and they didn't have a green kayak set up at the time well this young man got a green one that was not set up and did it quickly and without hesitation with a smile on his face just so that my son would have a better day. We offered tip and he refused to accept it because it was his job and boy did he do it good. I asked him how long he'd been working there and he said 4.5 years. This young man is a necessity to that park. I went at a very busy time and the boys that dealt with the kayaks were truly amazing and should be awarded for their professionalism especially the young man that attended my son, Jose.

1  Thank Honestrate
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was much better than I expected. Be forewarned that hovering over the coral reef can make you really seasick. I forgot my motion sickness relief band, not thinking that this trip could possible cause sickness. I managed fine by taking a dramamine and focusing on the glass bottom, blocking the rocking horizon from view with my hands. The guides were great - pointing out so many species of fish and coral. Highly recommended option to seeing the reef if you don't snorkel.