“Wonderful, simply wonderful”

Key Colony Beach Motel
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful, simply wonderful”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Great place on a great island. Very quiet, though it was a slow time. Our room was just feet from the ocean. Rooms very large and clean. Staff super friendly and informative. Definitely will be back! A real bargain. No problems.

Room Tip: Don't let the low price fool you, We would have paid more.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gail l
j k, Manager at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thanks so much, we are trying very hard to make everyone's visit an enjoyable one. It makes us proud that you had a great time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Myrtle Beach
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I'll keep it to this
It says Non Smoking...
However when my wife and I returned from dinner the room was filled with the smells of cigarette smoke and continued from the room next door from a hole in the walls in the bathroom

Asking the Mgt about it he said there is nothing he can do but ask them to stop

Simply put, our 4 day stay turned into a one night hell hole

Hohn...lets not forget about the fact you can hear conversations clearly through the walls through the wee hours of the night (3-4 am and kept going)

Please take warning of others reviews on the negative side. Those who write positives...I'm happy for you...but for those who experienced anything negative...I understand

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tommy L
j k, Manager at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Mr. Whetstone expressed concern about his neighbor had been smoking. I said I would check it out, was going to offer him another room but he said he didn't want to disturb his wife as she was resting.
I went around looking for the offender and when I found him, asked him to stop, he said he would.
The next day I put out the smoker and blacklisted him.
When Mr. Whetstone got up, he was agitated and asked " what are you going to do for me?" and implied that if I didn't give him a 50% discount the he "would have fun with it on the internet".
At checkout, his wife brought the key back to front desk. The clerk asked her if she had a good time. She said she did and that she liked the beach.
Another guest thought that I was too hard on the smoker. We have policies in place to prevent things like this. This is a situation where no one wins, all over an inconsiderate guest.
Glen Ellyn, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here during the off season while on business. Yhe business I had was on Big Pine, so I first looked at the big pine motel... Yuck, and $120 bucks a night. I then called around key west and found that there is a strange dynamic-the cheap crapholes like the IBIS are still $140 a night but the really nice hotels (pier house, reach, casa marina) are hovering around $220 a night. In my opinion, I would much rather spend another 100 bucks a night and sleep in what is the finest hotel in Key west, BUT I was just there on business. I called around and arrived back at the place my wife stormed out of due to disgust-the Key Colony beach motel. They had remodeled-sort of. Instead of pee smelling carpet, the had tiled the whole floor. They had also re-tiled the bathroom and from what I could tell evicted most of the critters. I dont like air conditioning and when I opened the room they had the temp set at 68 degrees so I turned the AC off so the entire floor became a condensation puddle. Anyway it was cheap, clean, and as has been said many times, they have a beautiful beach and a nice pool. I dont think I will get the wife to ever stay here but for me as a biz traveller looking for a non-bug-infested hole to sleep, this place did really well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rob M
Milan, Missouri
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our extended family of 12 enjoyed 8 nights in this motel. We had a variety of ages from 70 to 10 mths old. We've stayed at other hotels in the keys but this little motel has the best beach it's cleaned every morning and is not rocky.The pool was sparkling clean & the tiki huts were a wonderful place to drink coffe in the morning & just hang out in the shade.The huts have chairs and tables & are lit up in the evening. On our last day there we were lucky enough to see dolphins in the morning and afternoon. My sister and her husband spent most days at the hotel since they have the 10 mth old, and they wanted to keep him on schedule with naps and eating. They said the beach was so beautiful they didn't mind just staying at the motel. I had reserved suite 120 in Febuary for our group of 5 and were notified in June that it was being renovated, at first I was upset but management and I agreed on a satisfactory $ solution. When we all arrived at the motel our group of 5 family members were temporarily split into 2 rooms for 3 nights and then when suite 120 was completed we all 5 moved into it. We loved it since it was on the ground floor which gave us easy access to the outside. The rooms were clean, the cleaning girl would sweep but no way could she keep up with us...lol. I did notice the small ants in bathroom, we only noticed these if we left some food out, they didn't bother us it is Florida and we have ants at home sometimes. Some rooms are a little outdated but the price is right and all of the staff were friendly and helpful if we had an issue. We used the washer and dryer often and I didn't even have any dirty laundry when we went home. We toured the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon and our daughter enjoyed the Dolphin encounter it was a memorable day and she was smiling from ear to ear. Some of our group went to the Sea Turtle hospital it's a fantastic place to visit and our two 6 year old grandkids loved the turtles. One day was spent in Key West, touring Ernest Hemmingway's home (it is beautiful). Fort Zachery Taylor beach is nice, there is shade and husband and daughter snorkeled. Sunset at Mallory square is unforgettable and if you have a chance catch the Catman's show it's really entertaining. My favorite place to go to in the Keys is Bahia Honda State Park and we spent a day there on Sandspur beach (turn left when you enter park). My husband and 13 yr old daughter also went on the snorkel trip one day from Bahia Honda to Looe Reef, they loved it. Don't forget to eat at Sparky's we love it.. fish tacos are delicious!! Our whole family enjoyed our stay at Key Colony Beach Motel and would definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank sharihop
j k, Owner at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review and patience. It's good to hear you enjoyed your stay even though your rooms were changed. When my crew and myself arrived there from Maryland, we originally hadn't planned on doing your room, but the guys were motivated and raring to go, After some discussion, we decided to start on 120 and hurry it along. We almost had it done by your arrival, but as you know we missed by a couple of days.
The guys worked hard, and are very happy that you liked the changes.
We are still constantly trying to make the motel the best one in the Keys, maybe the world. I know that is a big order, but we are trying.
Again thanks for the review and hope to see you soon
John
ps those fish tacos at Sparky's are great. Oh, and those little turbo pirate ants are pesky little things, hard to keep down. I heard their scouts will travel up to a 1/4 mile looking for food.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I love this place! The most beautiful beach in the keys. The staff is great! Very welcoming kind of feels like home. I've stayed at 5 star very expensive places always. However this place beats all of that. It's awesome. Recommended it to friends and family and they have all come back super happy! Rooms need updating but I feel if they do their price point will soar and won't be feasible. It's that good! Love place highly recommended it!!! I-Lezcano

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Ilianaliv
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 2 young sons and I stayed at this motel for 4 nights. Originally book for 3 but immediately wanted to stay an extra night. Our suite 121 had just been renovated and was beautiful for a motel. The floors were sandy upon arrival but other than that the room was clean. Every morning people were cleaning the grounds and raking the beach. The location is under renos and our last day was noisy but you should expect to be hanging at the lovely pool our gorgeous beach. My boys had a blast. Small ant like bugs in the bathroom a few times but I expect that this far south. You could hear the other rooms around you somewhat but we were busy having couple relations apparently as the room next to us mention on July 9. Great time had by our family.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ForestGriffon
Miami
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Notice that most of the reviews all state the location and beach as the positives and not the Motel itself. The rooms are deplorable to say the least. You can hear the other guests from the bathroom and at one point we heard a couple having relations next door as my daughter was using the restroom. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Half the outlets in the rooms did not work. As a fix I was given an extension cord to run across the front door to power my television and charge our mobile devices. The hot water lasts a minute or two and we were given damp towels. The television is slightly bigger than an iPad and the room was dirty as soon as we stepped foot inside the door. If the room was this bad imagine the bed you sleep in?

The one common theme amongst all these reviews seems to be how beautiful the surrounding beach and location is. This is very true and its extremely sad that Key Colony Beach would allow such a business to operate under these conditions. The staff has no genuine intrest in making your stay a pleasurable one, they lack intrest in your visit. One gentleman working there seemed more liquored up then the guest themselves. Your initial greeting as you walk in the door is as cold as the ice machine on the property which is probably the only working piece of machinery in the motel.

I am a long time visitor of Key Colony and former resident of Marathon and was embarrassed to have recommended friends to join me on our trip to this Motel. We have always stayed at other hotels on the same street but they were all booked so we opted for this option. Bad mistake.

I suggest spending a bit more and staying at one of the other hotels within walking distance if you have the choice and means. You normally prep yourself when choosing a Motel instead of a Hotel as you know its a downgrade but there is no preparing for this property. They should just remove the M, O from the name and use the TEL instead. So you know to tell your friends and family to get the hell out of here.

The updates that were made to the rooms is like slapping lipstick on a pig.

Room Tip: The best room you can get here is a lawn chair on the beach
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank OnthemoveMiami
j k, Owner at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I'm very sad that you had issues with the room. You must have gotten one of the last rooms that were not renovated. We have had a great deal of rain the past month, (record amounts) and the rain has caused some problems with some of our outlets. If your room was the one I am thinking of, it is being remodeled right now.
The workmen are from out of town and they work hard all day. After work they do drink some. I apologize for their behavior and have spoken with them on this.
We certainly do care about our guests. You are the reason we are here.
I hope you will come and give us a chance to make things right, and thank you for the review, John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Key Colony Beach
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,640 reviews

Been to Key Colony Beach Motel? Share your experiences!