“This is a little piece of heaven!”

Key Colony Beach Motel
“This is a little piece of heaven!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I love this place! The most beautiful beach in the keys. The staff is great! Very welcoming kind of feels like home. I've stayed at 5 star very expensive places always. However this place beats all of that. It's awesome. Recommended it to friends and family and they have all come back super happy! Rooms need updating but I feel if they do their price point will soar and won't be feasible. It's that good! Love place highly recommended it!!! I-Lezcano

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Ilianaliv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 2 young sons and I stayed at this motel for 4 nights. Originally book for 3 but immediately wanted to stay an extra night. Our suite 121 had just been renovated and was beautiful for a motel. The floors were sandy upon arrival but other than that the room was clean. Every morning people were cleaning the grounds and raking the beach. The location is under renos and our last day was noisy but you should expect to be hanging at the lovely pool our gorgeous beach. My boys had a blast. Small ant like bugs in the bathroom a few times but I expect that this far south. You could hear the other rooms around you somewhat but we were busy having couple relations apparently as the room next to us mention on July 9. Great time had by our family.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ForestGriffon
Miami
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Notice that most of the reviews all state the location and beach as the positives and not the Motel itself. The rooms are deplorable to say the least. You can hear the other guests from the bathroom and at one point we heard a couple having relations next door as my daughter was using the restroom. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Half the outlets in the rooms did not work. As a fix I was given an extension cord to run across the front door to power my television and charge our mobile devices. The hot water lasts a minute or two and we were given damp towels. The television is slightly bigger than an iPad and the room was dirty as soon as we stepped foot inside the door. If the room was this bad imagine the bed you sleep in?

The one common theme amongst all these reviews seems to be how beautiful the surrounding beach and location is. This is very true and its extremely sad that Key Colony Beach would allow such a business to operate under these conditions. The staff has no genuine intrest in making your stay a pleasurable one, they lack intrest in your visit. One gentleman working there seemed more liquored up then the guest themselves. Your initial greeting as you walk in the door is as cold as the ice machine on the property which is probably the only working piece of machinery in the motel.

I am a long time visitor of Key Colony and former resident of Marathon and was embarrassed to have recommended friends to join me on our trip to this Motel. We have always stayed at other hotels on the same street but they were all booked so we opted for this option. Bad mistake.

I suggest spending a bit more and staying at one of the other hotels within walking distance if you have the choice and means. You normally prep yourself when choosing a Motel instead of a Hotel as you know its a downgrade but there is no preparing for this property. They should just remove the M, O from the name and use the TEL instead. So you know to tell your friends and family to get the hell out of here.

The updates that were made to the rooms is like slapping lipstick on a pig.

Room Tip: The best room you can get here is a lawn chair on the beach
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank OnthemoveMiami
j k, Owner at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I'm very sad that you had issues with the room. You must have gotten one of the last rooms that were not renovated. We have had a great deal of rain the past month, (record amounts) and the rain has caused some problems with some of our outlets. If your room was the one I am thinking of, it is being remodeled right now.
The workmen are from out of town and they work hard all day. After work they do drink some. I apologize for their behavior and have spoken with them on this.
We certainly do care about our guests. You are the reason we are here.
I hope you will come and give us a chance to make things right, and thank you for the review, John
miami, fl
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is our new gem! We came for Memorial Weekend, have been back twice and today will reserve again. The pool and surrounding areas are very clean, beach is wonderful, including the beach chairs on site. Everything is here for you. The only bad I found was that the beds were a little springy, however there are renovations of all rooms.

I hesitated for a moment to give such a glowing review, only because I dont want anyone else to find out how great this place is!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank knw4ever
j k, Owner at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
It's great to hear good news and I am glad you had such a wonderful time. We look forward to your return thank you John
Mi
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We checked in on 6-25-13 and rented the ocean beach view room on 2nd floor- it was later in the evening when we arrived after a long day of snorkling- .got into the room and 1st glance it looked clean- needed to be updated but ok - went into bathroom -UGH- needs MAJOR updating went to take a shower and NO shampoo to be found- after getting out of the shower, the floor towel we picked it up off floor was dirty filthy from the floor- i took a wet towel and went over the floors and they were ABSOLUTELY filthy- room that faced the ocean was quaint until we walked into it. Looked liked someone swept up debris on the floor made a pile but never swept it up!!!! Room air conditioner was VERY loud in the ocen view room- front room
Beds feel like you are sleeping on the box springs- did not sleep well!! I travel quite a bit for my job and the had to be the worst place I have ever stayed at!
Went to front desk about having no shampoo ans was told we had to go to Walgreens- grrr
Complained about room being dirty( have pics) nothing
Next day we checked out early stayed 1 night instead of 2 due to the issues- told lady at front desk showed pics and she said she would have the manager call us- today is 7-2-2013 and still no call from the manager!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K S
j k, Manager at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I am not happy that your room wasn't cleaned properly. The housekeepers are being check more diligently now and I greatly apologize for it.
We have found that most travelers bring their own shampoo with them, but in response to your complaint, we are now offering shampoo.
I didn't get any messages to call you and our message procedures have been changed to not lose any messages to me. I only wish I had known about these issues as I take of them IMMEDIATELY. If you'll call back, I'd like to apologize personally. 305-289-0411
thank you for the review and I hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future.
Mike
Miami
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I rented there with my family on Memorial Weekend 2013, it was very nice. The motel is located on a gorgeous beach. It's just breath taking how nice the beach is. It's def a family atmosphere, no ratchetness. The rooms are nothing out of this world, plain room with two beds, tv, bathroom. This motel was not designed for people who enjoy t here stay inside a room. It's more like for people who want to be at the beach all day just need a place to bath and lay there head. The only reason I gave it 4 starts & not 5 is because it's very inconvenient that he motel provides a small fridge but no microwave. They do not allow any cooking of any form onsite, not bbq, not microwave cooking, they don't even allow a toaster. It must be that they are in business with the resteraunt next door, and hey want you to spend your money at the resteraunt. The restaurant waiter, comes to the beach @ the motel to ask people if they need anything?? $$$$
Cheap room, but be prepapred to spend the money you saved on the room on eating out....
We will come back, and now that I know we have no microwave, I will just bring ham & cheese peanut butter & jelly to make sanwiches...

Room Tip: Request a room with a rug, otherwise the rooms that have tile get really dirty with the sand from th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
j k, Manager at Key Colony Beach Motel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We're happy you stayed with us. We are considering your suggestion on microwaves, the interesting experiences we had in the past with stoves we had, gives us pause. (burnt fish, etc) We used to have a beautiful brick and stone BBQ out by the pool, but the powers to be, wont allow any cooking within 50 feet of the pool area. So we had to tear it down.
And no, we are not in cahoots with the restaurant next door, they are our neighbors and if we can help them, and they help our guests, seems like a win win to me. I know it sure is nice for someone to bring you mix drinks under the palms.
thanks for the review and believe me, your suggestion is not on deaf ears. We hope to get 5 stars next time you stay.
thanks again, John 410-242-3337 please call if you have any more suggestions
Crown Point, IN
Reviewed April 13, 2013

First of all, if you are coming to the Keys, don't expect Hiltons on the beach. The charm of the Keys is that you are getting away from commercialized establishments. The Keys are full of family-run motels/restaurants with down-home charm and friendly service. Second, the Keys are made of rock. The off-shore reef prohibits large waves from breaking down the rock to make sand. The few sandy beaches you find on the Keys have been man-made. All that to say, we've been coming to the Keys for 20+ years and we always stay at the Key Colony Beach Motel. It's not a fancy, high-end establishment. If you want that, go to Miami. But it is RIGHT ON THE BEACH! That's the selling point! A beautiful pool also RIGHT ON THE BEACH. We stay in the floor/end units and literally 5 steps and you are on the beach. Where can you get that in the Keys at this price?? We love the tiki huts - we eat breakfast and lunch there every day. Great restaurants nearby for dinner (Sunset Grille, Herbies, Cracked Conch, Sparky's, The Island). Enjoy the charm and ambience while sunning on a stunning beach (that's cleaned of seaweed every single morning, by the way) or relaxing by the beach-side pool. That's the best of the Keys!

Room Tip: "Four rooms (first and second level) on the end facing the ocean are extra large"
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,640 reviews

Been to Key Colony Beach Motel? Share your experiences!