“dont stay at the roach hotel”

Key Colony Beach Motel
Sarasota, Florida
“dont stay at the roach hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

The Key Colony Beach Motel is a very average looking, poorly kept motel. Its only redeeming factor is that is sits directly on its own small, but private beach. I expected it to be a small simple room and also I expected it to be clean. I had specifically asked for an updated suite, with tile and not carpet.(some other reviews had complained of "soggy carpet" in the older outdated rooms. I was told I had an ocean view, but the bedroom had a parking lot view and the second room, with a very old couch, had an ocean view in only half of the window. It looked fairly clean on first glance, but when we saw the small german cockroaches on the dresser by the TV and in the bathroom I was horrified. We had checked in late, dropped off our luggage and then headed out on the boat with friends. When we came back at midnight , that is when we saw the roaches. By that time, it was too late to do anything about it. The front desk did not answer the phone and no one was a t the desk. The next day I told them about the roach problem and the girl at the front desk said, Let me get you some roach spray" Then when she couldn't find it, she offered to have the room "fogged " I asked to speak with the manager before they did anything to see if that would be safe and she said he would call me. Later in the day I finally heard back from the front desk (of coarse the manager did not bother to call me himself) She said that it would not be safe for us to go back into the room if it was bombed or fogged, so they would offer to move us to another room or have it sprayed. No other suites were available and I was afraid of getting worse room or one with old soggy carpet so I opted for the spraying. We had walked by an older room with the carpet half torn out and it looked terrible. There was no offer of a discount or anything else to improve the quality of our stay. When I mentioned a discount, I was told I already had one, as I was quoted $90.00 per night instead of the usual $100.00 per night during lobster season. Needless to say, we stayed in out room as little as possible. We were lucky that our friends had rented a gorgeous condo down the street and we stayed there till midnight every night.The last night in the motel, I couldn"t sleep after I saw a roach running around on the headboard of the other bed in the room. When we got home, I took the cloths out of the suitcase right there in the driveway and washed and dried everything and threw away the suitcase. (they say very high heat kills most of the bugs) I was terrified of bringing the roaches home and also of the possibility of unseen bed bugs. My advice is, pay a few extra dollars and rent a clean condo or go to another hotel...

Room Tip: get a room somewhere else, if you do have to stay here, get an updated suite and watch out for the b...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cobourg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was our second stay here. We rented a boat for the week from Vacation Boat Rentals at the KCB marina so it was a short walk from the hotel to the marina.

The hotel is dated but that is the only thing wrong about it. We had a problem with our smoke detector and it was replaced the same day. I left something behind and the packaged it up to be returned to me. Great staff and service.

When I booked Jessie advised me of a coupon in the traveller that dropped the room rate by $10 a night. We also requested a late check out, it was only 10/hr for each hour past noon.

The hotel has a small beach and great shaded areas and a nice sized pool. Great views of the Atlantic.

So what if it's a little old - I'm just in the room to sleep and shower, you can't beat the price or the location. Will stay again next time. Very quiet street, great price, it's not a resort and it doesn't try to be.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank diggerjones
Naples FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Ocean Beach Club lives up to its name - The ocean waves gently break on the sandy shore - right outside your front door. Comfortable, uncluttered accommodations await you.

Room Tip: First Floor Rooms provide quick easy beach access
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank purple92
Cobourg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed for nine nights. Pretty basic, clean but in need of modernization and maintenance, some tiles were missing and our bathroom was dated with green and black tiles! That said it is all cosmetic, rooms are a good size, bed was reasonably comfortable. Good size fridge good for milk, fruit, drinks etc. Location is quiet and beach is clean and raked daily. The pool was clean and a nice temperature. Good walking paths through the town. The rooms do not have wi-fi, microwaves, coffee makers or hair dryers. Coffee is available in the lobby every morning. We were not at the motel for anything other than a place to sleep and shower so the basic accomodation suited us. A high end resort it is not nor does it try to be.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank diggerjones
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

Wow! We found this place by accident and are glad we did! Right on the beach, beautiflul views, spacious rooms. They have the jalousy windows that open from floor to ceiling to let in the breeze. I remember these from years ago, didn't know they still existed. Not your typical trendy cookie cutter chain motel, but I hear they are remodeling, we just hope they don't change too much. This is the most relaxing place we have stayed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank charley5776
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

According to the staff, roughly 1/4 of KCB Motel's rooms now have new carpet and furniture, with more planned to be remodeled in future months. I had reserved two rooms last week for 4 nights and canceled after being shown to our rooms. I would not have stayed even with new carpet and furniture, but if you are going to stay here you might as well request an improved room. Our room had stained carpet, stained chairs, cracked walls, some sort of fibrous ceiling, and louvered windows that would not close. The bathroom was in similar condition. The dorm style refrigerator was brand new. The office area of the motel gave a clue to the condition of the room - and this was the first place I've stayed where I was handed my room's TV remote along with my keys. There are better alternatives nearby, and we were very happy to find that the Ocean Beach Resort located two doors down had vacancy. The manager at KCB Motel could not have been nicer in handling our cancellation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

It was a nice room and a beautiful, peaceful setting. We saw a shooting star one night sitting on the beach. The only complaint I had was with the refrigerator in the room, it would not stay closed. The people were friendly and the rates were really good.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,599 reviews

Been to Key Colony Beach Motel? Share your experiences!