“Overpriced, but a lovely setting”
Review of Rusty Pelican

Rusty Pelican
Reserve a Table
Wed, 6/26
8:00 PM
Ranked #5 of 82 Restaurants in Key Biscayne
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rickenbacker Causeway
Description: You haven't seen Miami until you've seen it from The Rusty Pelican Restaurant and Special Events Center. The Rusty Pelican is the most sought after restaurant with a view in South Florida. With the sun setting on Biscayne Bay against the backdrop of the alluring Miami skyline, The Rusty Pelican is the perfect spot for a romantic interlude or that special occasion. Located in Florida on the Island of Key Biscayne and just minutes away from Interstate-95. The Rusty Pelican has a breathtaking view of the City of Miami while offering superb cuisine and service. The fresh seafood changes with the season, deliciously enhanced with island-influenced salsas and flavors.
Reviewed May 14, 2019

The location of the Rusty Pelican is really why you should be thinking about going here. The view from this place of downtown Miami is stunning, particularly at and after sundown. It's worth coming here for the view alone.

Which is just as well, because the meal itself was mixed - my chicken was good, my wife's salmon was overcooked (I would have sent it back). We had the chocolate dessert, which was really poor - all of the items tasted like they just came out of the freezer, and nothing was made in house - for $30, this was a total waste of money. It looks stunning, but it's rubbish - please save your money! This was our most expensive meal in Miami. We paid $165 for some pretty average food, and small cocktails.

Service here was poor too. We, and others around us, waited a long time and didn't see our server much. The place was a little over half full (not totally full by any means), and there were enough staff there, they just seemed like they'd rather hang out or just be elsewhere, rather than serving.

Date of visit: May 2019
Rusty Pelican M, Manager at Rusty Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, we would like to apologize for the experience you had with us recently. That is certainly not the service that we aspire to provide our guests.
If you are available, please feel free to reach out to me so that I can learn more about your visit.
Eflood@srcmail.com
Ed Flood
Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,356)

Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

Visited here during Miami visit. Four of us in party. Good waiter. We were asked if we’d like to “try” the oyster/caviar appetizer....presented to us as if he was asking us to sample. Turned out we were charged $8 apiece for this privilege. Presentations were attractive but prices were surprisingly high. $350 for four of us with one bottle of wine. The view of Miami across Biscayne Bay is nice. We had a nice window table.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

My girlfriend that lives in the area decided that she wanted to take me here for lunch...wonderful in every way!!! Lovely table with great view of all activity on the water...so nice!!
Our server, Roberto, suggested for me to try the Chilean Sea Bass. So delicious!!
Go!!! You will not be disappointed!!!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 9, 2019

Visited this restaurant with my family. We sat out on the water side patio with fabulous views across the water of Miami. The food was excellent with a wide variety of menu choice. As the late afternoon turned into evening the sunset and night views of the Miami skyline rounded off a great experience. Finally as the night chill set in we all sat around the fire pits to keep warm and soak up the wonderful atmosphere. I would recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 8, 2019

I worked with one of the Rusty Pelican's special events coordinators to host a business dinner. I impressed upon the coordinator my criteria pointing out the purpose of the dinner and expectations regarding skyline view and food. I had shared with the coordinator that I had organized similar dinners around the country for the previous 11 years and the importance treating my guests to priceless views that would stay with them even after the dinner was over. Despite the importance that I had placed on the view, my concerns were completely ignored and upon arrival at the restaurant, my guest were lead to and undersized room in the back of the restaurant that had no famed skyline view, but rather an unremarkable view of the corner of a marina and a view of the Rickenbacker Parkway. Adding insult to injury, the coordinator was no where to be found and no alternatives were presented to me. In short, I would discourage any party who is planning to host a group event (wedding reception or business dinner) at this restaurant. Due to my gross disappointment with this restaurant and its special events staff, I expressed my concerns to the management. In response to my concerns, I was offered a token, and I mean token refund. In fact, the token refund was so grossly inadequate, I denied it expressing that it in no way reflected the disappointment expressed by my guests and loss of confidence and trust that they had once placed in my restaurant selections. You get one shot to meet or exceed expectations and this restaurant management and staff failed miserably.

Date of visit: June 2018