“Snorkeling and hiking”
Review of Crandon Park Beach

Crandon Park Beach
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I came to Crandon Park specifically to try out the snorkeling and hiking here. I had read a recommendation to snorkel on the far western portion of the beach. There really wasn't much to see except some large barracuda. If you want to snorkel, come during high tide, because the water is way too shallow during low tide.
However, what made my day was just exploring the whole park itself. There is an amazing nature center located on the far left parking lot- this is also where all the trails begin too. The nature center had very informative diagrams as well as many fish tanks, touch tanks, and a gift shop with unique items. Outside of the nature center, there were three tails that you could explore. The beach trail goes parallel to the beach with little shade but very cool lizards and butterflies. This eventually merges with the Fossilized Reef trail, which takes you an additional half mile until you hit the fossilized reef. This was a beautiful area whee you not only see the ancient reef, but marine birds and possibly turtles too. Along the reef there is a beach trail that continues into the mangroves, and the scenery is just beautiful. There were many secluded coves at the end of this trail, and places to just find some peace and quiet too.
There is also the Bear Cut Trail, which I thought was actually quite short compared to what was listed. It takes you through dense forest and foliage. The nature center has brochures for all three trails to point out interesting points along the way.
All in all I spent about 6 hours exploring underwater and on land here. The beach itself was nice and spacious, when I came at 9 am there was not another soul in sight, but by 12 pm it did get crowded (weekend day). You can rent kayaks from a beach hut as well as snorkel gear, and there are lifeguards. This was a little bit of paradise, I felt like I was in the Bahamas because the water was so clear and the trails were so much fun to explore.

4  Thank threelittlefish856
There are newer reviews for Crandon Park Beach

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

The beach, the old zoo site, the bike trails, the cabanas, the ocean, and the views. All I could imagine and...it was totally uncrowded on a midday Wednesday. One of the best bike rides ever. The old zoo site was terrific with all the birds, iguanas, and other wildlife. We will go out of our way to get to this spot again.

3  Thank REDHOG
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a great time here with my family. Everybody loved it. The beach was very uncrowded and we almost had the whole beach to ourselves! Lots of palm trees for shade. The sand is perfect for building sand castles as well. There are functional restrooms and a small playground for toddlers near the parking lot. Great place to get away from the buzz in Miami for a while. Will visit this place again if I return to the Miami area.

2  Thank OyRoy
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

A lovely beach, peaceful and serene. So pretty and such a nice long stretch of beach to walk on. Plenty of space and lots of picnic benches to sit at too. Well worth the trip.

1  Thank Deanne A
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is my local beach I go to when I want to get away. The park is really old and historic and they have kept the grounds up beautifully. The beach is really large with lots of sand and space. The beach is really shallow so you can walk out far. Water is super clear and lots of parking available. The area is very quiet as it is on Key Biscayne. This beach is nothing like South Beach which I love. I can be alone here during the week and even on the weekends there is enough space to have your own privacy. '

I also bike here from downtown and use this as my halfway point before I head back. Great place to relax or take photos. Crandon Park Gardens (Just South of the beach) is a great spot to take photos of the old zoo which has many old structures and lots of birds and reptiles.

The only thing that drives me crazy is that for residents, it is over $100 for a parking pass, and that doesn't even cover a year. I pay $64 per year for an annual pass for all State Parks and I have to pay over $100 for a seasonal parking pass at a county park? Doesn't seem right, especially since the park is dead during the summer months. Otherwise you pay $5 on weekdays for parking or $6 on weekends, which isn't a big deal but it is when you come here once or twice a week.

3  Thank TheMiamiUrbEx