2,260 results
All reviewsfamily poolthe cantinaadult poolthe mexican restaurantclub levelrum barsouth beachzero entrywinn dixieocean frontbeautiful propertyturn down servicean umbrellapool servicelong weekendper dayoceanfront room
Reviewed December 1, 2010

My daughter had emergency hospitalization in Miami. I flew in from CA and she from med school overseas. We decided to "treat" ourselves to two days or more in the luxury of an out of Miami Beach Ritz, the Key Biscayne. We took TWO OCEANFRONT rooms because I had a bad cold and did not want chance her getting it. I questioned the front desk carefully to be certain our rooms were full view. It was okay they were separated by four floors, and bearable they each had two queen beds which always take up too much room for a single guest. We were assured they were the very best they had and with full views.
I was NOT prepared for my room on the 6th floor. The window looked directly out to the ocean on the right but on the left, the wing of another building obscured the view by jutting out directly in front, and of course I had to keep the drapes mostly closed for privacy. There was NO CHAIR. A desk chair with a worn, fallen in, seat was the wrong height for the desk so a backache ensued. Tried to read in bed but the bulb was burned out. Had to take a bulb from another lamp and use a screw driver to get into the enclosed shade. There was a cooktop but no plates, pots or utensils. Do they expect you to cook, and if so, to bring those? I never found a coffee maker. I did finally find one in my daughter's room in a drawer under the tv - not near the cooktop/fridge area. My room had only two pillows per bed. Hers had four plus decorative pillows and decorative bed scarves AND a chair plus a balcony with more chairs and a table. I had a window that opened and a railing. The room was dusty. The towel in bath had black hairs on it. There were NO wash cloths at all.
Feeling ill, I went down at 7PM to find sundries/gift/newspaper shop. None. One, which the desk said might have cough drops, was closed already.
So......Her room was fairly nice. Mine was one that one can assume was never rented, never renovated but "good enough" to rent to me, and not checked recently.
There are NO signs in the hotels to guide you, and no guides in the room "because the hotel is green" and wastes nothing, YET when I returned to my room and hers after dinner - some four hours later - the maid had ALL the lights turned on, the heat on and the TV blaring. We, being truly "green" had turned everything off when we left the room. The maid came in to leave her CARD (green to leave a throwaway?) only. No chocolate, no turn down. Remember: there was nothing to turn down, no decorative covers.The one ocean front dining room was closed for renovation. November. In Season.
We checked out that next morning and headed back to a truly luxury hotel in Miami. Oh yes. We spent what would have been the second night's fee for two oceanfront rooms in the jewelry store and on a pair of $300+ espadrilles so we would have one nice memory of Biscayne Bay. The staff could not have cared less about my "report". I did not ASK for a price reduction and it was never offered. I thought I'd like to see if they would do the right thing. They did not. Never occurred to them even after I encouraged them to go up to my room to see how bad it was. They just handed me a form to send a complaint to the Ritz.
I have stayed at the finest hotels in the world, usually the small boutique ones in the "leading Hotels Group, or Small Luxury Hotels, etc. I own vacation waterfront homes, not condos or timeshares in Cabo, Rubicon Bay Lake Tahoe, and Cape May NJ. I rent one of these to others so have a very good idea how to treat my paying guests so they truly have the finest and feel pampered.
This hotel is an unmitigated disaster with a staff trained to exude self importance. It is a classless sham, and not worth the effort to check in. There is a great difference in luxury hotels and a lot of choices in Miami. Do Not Stay Here.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank jd1menke
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This was our second visit to the Ritz and it did not disappoint. The staff was great, the food was wonderful and the room was extremely clean. We stayed on the club level, which afforded us an unlimited number of small meals, snacks, and drinks- well worth the extra price. A couple of minor negatives are thatwas that the mexican restaurant was closed for renovations after a fire, which led to ony one choice for dinner at Cioppino, and parking was $30. per day. A special thank you to Ingrid at Ciopinno- her wonderful personality was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2010

My wife and I have done a lot of traveling over 27 years and our most recent trip to the Ritz for four nights in Key Biscayne was one of our best. The staff's service, professionalism and attitude is exactly what we would expect in a luxury resort. and most important everyone had a smile. Our room was spotless and our kingsize bed very (very) comfortable. We had a great view of the bay where we could watch some colorful sunsets. We actually went on vacation for a combination of tennis and relaxation, and on both accounts we could not be happier. We did the tennis clinics every morning at the Cliff Drysdale Tennis Center. The instructors were fun, knowledgable and gave us great workouts. Then I was able to hook up with some other players for some doubles play. After tennis we would relax on the beach or at the Adult pool. The grounds are beautifully manicured and we had no problems getting chairs or towels. I worked out a couple of days in a very nice gym while my wife took Pilates. We bascially ate most of our meals on site at the resort but we did venture to Miami Beach one night and to a very good local restaurant another night - (Concierge suggestion). Food and drinks at the Ritz are very upscale and tasty, but also fairly expensive. My wife and I did read some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor which surprised us, so we put our heads together and were able to come up with 10 complaints : 1. At the Adult pool, when the staff gave us refreshing grapes, no one offered to feed them to us. 2. Nobody personally offered to fan us. 3. There was some seaweed in the ocean. 4. I like to be active but I fell asleep during the day - three times. 5. Nobody offered to put suntan lotion on our backs so we had to do it ourselves. 6. When I purchased a specialty coffee and did not finish it, the waitress insisted on me not paying - but I forced the issue and paid. 7. When we left to go home, the bell hop insisted on carrying my bags even though I was quite capable. 8. Sunny and 82 gets boring after a while. 9. At dinner during the 1st night, our waiter took a couple of extra minutes to bring us our bottle of wine as he had to run to the wine cellar to retrieve, he then insisted on giving us a high caloric dessert. 10. My wife and I both ended up depressed - as we realized we had to leave. Get the hint!! Seriously - We thought the price for the breakfast buffet was a little high and it rubs me the wrong way to pay $30 a night parking, but more and more hotels are doing this, and we actually took a cab so we did not pay the parking fee. Overall we cannot wait to return again, next time with our daughter since it is very kid friendly.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GVF444
Reviewed November 19, 2010

What a great stay! This hotel was fantastic! First, the room we stayed in was very clean and modern. The bed and the linens were so comfortable, you could sleep forever. My boyfriend and I lucked out during our stay as our room was in the center of the hotel with a front and center view of the ocean. The hotel grounds were lovely, the fitness center and spa had everything you would need, towels, fruit, water. The treadmills have USB cords so if your IPOD battery is low you can still run on the treadmill with your IPOD plugged directly into the treadmill The staff was courteous and extremely helpful. The valet drivers were efficient and offered us excellent suggestions on places to visit while on our stay. The only flaw with this hotel, is the that the beach tends to be covered in seaweed during the day, and that's more of an aesthetic issue than a practical issue. Have fun!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2010

This place is great. Feels like you are in the Carribean without the blue water. Staff is courteous. Spa is terrific.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple