“Not what we expected”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Chicago
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We chose this resort because of it's tennis resort reputation coupled with the Ritz Carlton reputation. We are a well traveled family and we usually stay in the finer hotels around the world.
We have three children, 11, 13, and 16 years old. The holiday crowd was massive in numbers. It was all families with little children. At one time there were greater than 30 little kids in the family pool with their parents and nannies. Don't let the web site picture fool you. The family pool is small. There is an adult pool, but it was in the shade 75% of the day. My kids were too young for the adult pool and refused to navigate the crowds in the family pool. To obtain a lounge chair, we had to be at the pool by 645 am to get one of the final available chairs. And, unless you tip WELL,the pool staff threatens to give away your lounges. Speaking of the hotel staff, they are all very friendly and responsive. I did get the feeling that it was continuously expected that we tip. Out of necessity, we did, so that we could receive good service.
The hotel is showing signs of age. There were stains in our room on the carpets, hotel sofas were torn, and the furniture was a bit nicked up. Overall, the room sizes are very small as are the bathrooms. The valet charge of $30/day is excessive. I'd expect to pay that at a downtown or city hotel, not one with an abundance of surface lots. The only positive of this excessive valet charge is that the hotel is able to maintain a full complement of valet staff so that we never had to wait for a car more than 2-3 minutes. The hotel is situated far from Miami Beach. Expect a 30 minute drive, at least, to get to south beach. We went there nightly for dinner.

For the first week of our vacation, we were in Mexico at a beautiful resort. To break up the long vacation, we decided to visit The Ritz so that we could enjoy the acclaimed tennis program. Most disappointing, however, is that since we are a tennis family we had hoped to be able to play and drill. Unfortunately, due to the Christmas holiday, there were NO teen clinics available for the younger two kids, and only one adult drill per day. The adult clinics were overcrowded and the player level ranged between 2.5 and 4.0. This made it completely unenjoyable. Getting open court time was impossible. The only way the kids could play was to take a private lesson or try to get on one of the few available open courts throughout the day. So while my wife, daughter and I drilled in morning, the kids had no tennis activity. I feel as though we were duped into expecting a more sophisticated tennis experience.

Had we known that; the hotel was so far from Miami Beach, the pool would be as overcrowded and noisy as it was, getting pool lounges would be an exercise in frustration, I would be hounded for tips constantly ( bell man to bring bags down, second bell man to load car, valet who brought car - all within 10 minutes), the hotel beach was average, the rooms were adequate at best and small, and there was NO organized tennis activities for the kids, we would have avoided this hotel completely and stayed in Mexico for a few more days. As it is, we cut our Florida trip short by 2 days ( after being there only 3 days) to go home to the cold midwest weather.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank dan051

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 27, 2009

If you want a nice beach resort feeling while staying in the Miami area then this is the prefect spot. From the moment you pull up to the entrance motor court complete with fountains, you know a good Ritz experience is about to begin. The lobby is grand and formal, but not too stuffy looking. Several lounge areas are close by and large windows provide beautiful views.

We booked an oceanfront suite which was very nice and spacious. The rooms have been renovated and have a contemporary look with blond wood furniture and a beige color scheme. The wavy stripes in the carpet added a modern feel to the room. Everything was in good shape with ample lighting and a nice usable desk provided. The main bathroom was spacious with separate tub, shower, and water closet. The shower, however, was too small. The powder room was very nice with a cool looking faux marble wall. Our only complaint was that the living room had a connecting door to an adjoining room near the wood floor entry. Our neighbor was relatively quiet, but you could still hear noise especially walking on the entry floor.

We enjoyed breakfast each day at the main hotel restaurant Cioppino. Breakfast is a very nice buffet with a large selection of hot and cold items nicely arranged in the center of the restaurant. The interior of the restaurant is very attractive, but it is hard to pass up eating on the terrace overlooking one of the pools and the ocean. There are several other nice dining options at the hotel including oceanfront dining.

The pool areas are very nice. We spent our time at the adult pool which was large and surrounded by lush landscaping. The lounge chairs were very comfortable and attendants were on hand to help you out or get you food. The pool is not directly next to the ocean so there are no water views but there is also less wind. We had no problems finding a place of our own during our visits to the pool, but during busier times at the hotel, space could be an issue at the adult pool. Also, there is a hotel service path/cart way that is behind the western side of the pool area and seems to be pretty active and noisy at times. The large lizard population in this area may be a little more than some people might appreciate – we saw 2-3 daily basking in the sun.

The grounds of the hotel are very attractive and tropical. There is also easy access to the beach, and staff working there is available to set up lounge chairs and arrange boating activities. The beach is not that wide, but it is nice and sandy. It was also not crowded at all during our visit. We just about had the beach to ourselves during after breakfast walks, not at all like the crowds of South Beach.

The spa is a true spa with a very upscale feel. The locker rooms are nice and have a steam room, sauna, and hot tub. The gym is plush with enough equipment to get a full workout. The gym is located in the spa area and has a wall of windows overlooking the grounds and the ocean off in the distance.

Basically everything you need to have a relaxing retreat without having to leave is possible at this hotel. Key Biscayne is nice, if not a little architecturally challenged. We did not mind at all the nice drive needed to leave the island (be advised there is a small toll on the causeway when entering the island) and always looked forward to returning to the quiet environment the island and hotel offer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I'd just completed a RV Trek into the Florida Keys, to report on the sinking of the Vandeberg as a man-made reef and as a habit, after a week of cadillac camping, I try to go to the extreme opposite points of the compass for some significant pampering.

So I selected the 'Ritz' brand which has proved to be one of the very best bedding decisions I"ve made to date. The fact that the hotel is top-shelf in all of the uasual brick and mortar aspects does nothing to highlight the staff who make this hotel one of my top choices worldwide. I has a massage which converted me to smiling jelly, I had a rum specialist who educated me on the finer points of the concoction, the chef makes pleasing appearances and insists you try this or sample that, and even the room service attendance was cheerful beyond recall: they boast over 300 types of Rum, a cubano black-tie band and the flip-flops they gift to guests with continue to serve me well on any beach I encounter. I suspect this brand and property spends a bomb on staff motivation and training from the front door to the back of house. Flawless in Florida!

My Top Three Hotels list has now been amended to boast abojut The Cape Grace Hotel of Capetown, South Africa, The Observatory of Sydney Australia and now, with much gusto I'm adding the Ritz-Carlton of Key Biscayne Florida. I'll be back!

Mark Sheehan
Author - "America Over Easy!"

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
midwest
Reviewed December 7, 2009

As with all Ritz properties, you expect a certain level of service from a 5 star hotel. This particular hotel did live up to their reputation with just a few hiccups. First, our accommodations: We stayed 7 nights in a 1 bedroom, ocean-front balcony, with a kitchen. The view was fantastic. Couldn't ask for any better. Very clean and comfortable. The suite was in good shape but with a few issues. Paint was peeling around the tub and trying to get ice out of the freezer was impossible because it was completely clogged. Some of the plastic was broken in the freezer to where you could see the insulation inside. The jacuzzi tub didn't work the first time I tried to use it. We reported it and they said we needed to hit a switch in the fuse box to make it work. Once we got it working then we couldn't get it shut off without the fuse box again. This wasn't enough to ruin our trip so pretty much let those type of things slide.

The real drawback with our suite was that it was situated near the elevators. (8th floor). We could hear the constant drone of 3 elevators running 24/7. Unfortunately, no other suites like ours was available so we were kind of stuck. The noise level was high also. We could hear the people above us walking around and opening their balacony doors. I don't think they were being loud it was because the soundproofing in the room wasn't so good. We have stayed at many RC's this is the first time that noise has been an issue.

We were lucky enough to get the Peace of Mind package which included parking and breakfast for 2 at Cioppino. If you can get this package you should take it. Worth every penny. Cantina is a Mexican restaurant on the beach. Excellent! Dune had great burgers also. The turkey burger is wonderful! Breakfast at Cioppino was great! Lots of selections and an omlette chef to boot. The property is really beautiful and very well maintained. They showed movies out on the lawn over the T-Giving weekend. It was a little chilly so they had heaters to help keep you warm plus a complimentary refreshment table with all kinds of goodies. So much fun.

The beach is rather small but not an issue for us. I think it's an erosion problem they're having. I did a walk/run on the beach every morning down to Crandon Park which is a public beach. The Ritz portion of the beach is very clean and well maintained but once you leave the Ritz area there seems to be quite a bit of trash on the beach. I did my best to pick up the plastic bottles, caps and even a deordorant stick and place them in the trash cans. I wish visitors would be a little more careful. Remember that it's up to us to keep these things out of the water so future generations can enjoy these beautiful beaches. Nobody wants to set up their beach chairs next to rusty cans and plastic bottles.

The pool areas were beautiful! We spent a good deal of time at the family pool. Went to the adult pool once but the heater wasn't working. Kinda cold.

Want to give a shout out to to Mark the concierge in the club level. He was great fun to talk to and he bent over backwards to make the guests feel special and to make sure everyone had what they needed.

I took 2 yoga classes with Donatella. If you do yoga at all you will love her class. She has been practicing yoga for years and taught me a few new things.

Overall we really did have a great time. I would come back to the property again but I would ask to have a room as far from the elevators as possible.

boston
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Just returned from a Thanksgiving week stay at the Ritz Key Biscayne. Recently we stayed at the Grand Cayman Ritz and found this to be comparable if not better. I don't know if it is a sign of the times, but, until Thanksgiving Day, the occupancy at the property and the surrounding condos seemed low. This made for a peaceful Thanksgiving Retreat. The staff was super friendly. All of our requests were easily granted. We received the upgrade for booking through the Amex Fine Hotels and Resort program. Originally we booked an Ocean Front Double and were upgraded to a suite without a view. Traveling with teenagers, I was happy to sacrifice the view for the extra space and TV. Their complaints about the pullouts uncomfortableness went unheard by their parents. If you care about the comfort of your teens, you might want to ask for a feather bed on the pullout. The food at all the restaurants was excellent. It was however very pricy. Our suite had a kitchen and for extended stays , I 'd recommend provisioning at the the Winn Dixie about 1/2 mile from the property. There is also a 24 hour CVS in the same plaza. Cab fair from the airport to the hotel is about $45.00, likewise for transport to South Beach. You will need a car or cab to dine off property. A car can be rented from Hertz on property for about $79.00 a day. The beach is one of the best in Florida. The hotel is about 1/4 from Bill Baggs State Park and the beach at Key Biscayne is much less developed than Grand Cayman, Marco Island, and West Palm. It seems like this hotel hosts a lot of corporate events so it might be worth checking how many groups will be in house prior to booking. The Spa is very nice. The fitness room is huge. We didn't use the tennis facilities. The Ritz kids program was in full swing and the staff seemed to be very attentive to families with young children.
I would recommend this hotel for a family vacation.

1 Thank onmyway
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2009

This is a solid Ritz property, with attendant service and an upper class feel.  The rooms are on the small side, and the beds were somewhat small as well; comfy but small.  The property is well designed, with classic decor and a comfortable feel to the common areas.  We stayed over the Thanksgiving Weekend, and they had plenty of extra events for kids - including movies, video games, bounce house, air hockey, a magician, and more.  The thanksgiving buffet was amazing, with everything from caviar and crab claws to turkey and stuffing.  The desert room was well above average, with cakes and sweets of all types.  Live, not too loud music was a nice touch.

Other than the size of the room (and the beds), this is a fine hotel for a stay. The two pools are large and clean, and the family pool has a "beach entrance," so it's very shallow along the edges (and it's heated!).

Two minor issues were that the room was dusty (lazy housekeeping) and none of the service employees spoke English.  Overall, this is a solid four star resort with beautiful grounds, a great beach, and decent service.

Yardley, PA
Reviewed November 20, 2009

My wife & I stayed at the Ritz in early October (mid week) for 4 nights and loved it. The property is beautiful and well-maintained, and our room (standard bay view) was very nice. The service was excellent -- the staff was very friendly and helpful, but not overly solicitous -- they knew when to leave us alone. The $30 daily valet fee is annoying, as is the 18% automatic gratuity at the bars and restaurants, but our servers generally were great and deserving of the 18%. The family pool was very nice (zero entry, large, with waterfall), but since we went without the kids we spent most of the time at the adults only pool -- which was very peaceful and relaxing (particularly because there were very few other guests at the pool while we were there). The resort's location is great -- far enough from the hustle and bustle of Miami so you can rest and relax in a peaceful environment, but close enough to South Beach and Downtown Miami so you can easily get to the action and excitement if that's what you want. Only a 15 minute drive to Downtown, and no more than 30 minute drive to South Beach, so it's worth renting a car (and paying the valet fee) if you intend to go off property more than once (which we did almost every night for dinner -- lots of great restaurants recommended by the Concierge). At the resort we ate at Dune (gourmet hamburger beach bar/restaurant) and had a great burger. We also had a nice lunch at the Mexican restaurant on site. And the RumBar for cocktails and finger food at night was terrific -- very cool atmosphere with rums from around the world and live music certain nights. But for dinner I recommend you go off-property because of the many great restaurants in the Miami area. The resort's beach area was OK, but we spent our down time at the pools. The service at the Spa was great (it's very large and very nice), and the fitness center was impressive by hotel standards (we worked out there each day). We were told that lots of families with children visit in the Spring, but I don't know that we'd bring our little ones there because other than the one pool, I don't think there's much for the young ones to do. But we did see a children's museum, acquarium and other kid-friendly venues on our frequent short drives into Miami. I would definitely return to the Ritz.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Hotel South Beach
#11 of 207 in Miami Beach
The Setai
#5 of 207 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!