“Not up to par with other Ritz Carlton hotels”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne last month for 2 days for business and although the property itself was nice, the service and food was fairly poor. After arriving on a Sunday afternoon, I ordered room service and was disgusted to find a hair in my sandwich. Later that evening, we had extremely slow wait staff and one individual who was rude when we had ordered additonal drinks for a group of people. I travel extensively for business and have stayed in numerous Ritz Carlton's and this one had by far the worst service.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bjohn789
EdwardBoylan, Rooms Executive at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2009

Good afternoon Bjohn789,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Suffice to say that I was extremely disappointed to hear your comments and I sincerely apologize for the numerous inconsistencies that you experienced while a guest at our resort.

Without constructive criticism from caring guests such as yourself, it is not possible for me to measure the quality of service provided. I have already discussed the service issues with the appropriate management teams involved and please rest assured we have taken action steps in order to improve our operation.

Once again please accept our most sincere apologies.

Edward Boylan,
Rooms Executive

Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed March 15, 2009

Stayed there for 4 days with my husband for a quick, much needed getaway. The hotel lobbies and grounds are absolutely beautiful. Two spectacular pools - one for families and another for adults only, as well as a nice beach area. Youve got cabanas, and hot tubs, beachside resteraunts, water activities. Great atmosphere during all hours of day or evening. The service is impeccable.. from the parking attendant to the concierge, room service and housecleaning staff, and the poolside and beach staff - EVERYONE was just sooo attentive and caring and helpful and all in the most pleasant manner. Call guest services for anything.. toiletries, directions, or flight reservations... they were superb. The spa experience was the best I've ever had.. and I've been to quite some. The immediate surrounding area is boring so dont stay here if you're looking for the action. But overall a great place for R & R.. Pretty much what you'd expect from a Ritz hotel.. I definately look forward to going there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon Rose078,

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with some rest and relaxation. It is truly a pleasure to receive comments such as yours.

We hope that you will continue to visit our resort in the near future, and ensure that we will provide the finest quality service that you come to expect from The Ritz-Carlton, Key Biscayne.

Warm regards,

Edward Boylan

Reviewed March 13, 2009

I've consulted TripAdvisor for years but only rarely write reviews. I felt I had to write about the Ritz Key Biscayne after reading some of the really strange negative reviews. I spend about 40 nights per year in high-end hotels for business and pleasure. This hotel is very, very good for a family vacation and we have every intention of returning. It is not the St. Regis, but that's hardly the point. It has beautiful, well-maintained facilities, excellent service, comfortable and attractive rooms and a relaxing, inviting atmosphere.

My wife and I spent eight days with our 2 year old. We got an excellent deal on an ocean-view one bedroom suite using Ritz's "Extended Stay" package (available on the website). Despite it being high season, we got an early check-in and late check-out without the slightest hassle. The common areas of the hotel are gorgeous and relaxing. The service is exceptionally good (though, as with basically every hotel this far south, not terribly fast-paced.) The food is resort food--it's good but not great and not terribly adventurous. Just about what you would expect for a beach resort that caters to families with children. The spa facilities are new and very nice, though lacking steam showers. The gym is well-equipped.

The hotel is geared toward families with children. The staff were uniformly wonderful with our daughter. They paid attention to her, gave her little gifts, remembered her name, etc. It was great. They also provided a big, beautiful crib and lots of baby accessories (baby shampoo, etc.). The pool areas are spotless with excellent service. The beach is a bit narrow but otherwise great.

I can think of four small negatives. One, I hate paying for wireless internet at expensive hotels. (Ritz: stop charging for wireless. It's tacky and annoying to see a $50 internet charge tacked onto a $7,000 hotel bill.) Two, the hotel charges by the minute for web access in the business center, plus something like $4 a page to print. It cost me about $20 to print up some e-tickets. That's also ridiculous. Three, the $30/day mandatory valet charge should be eliminated--just roll it into the room rates. It's totally unjustified at a property this large and remote. Four, there were errors on my bill that were pretty large, though cleared up instantly when I brought them to the hotel's attention.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Ritz and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
EdwardBoylan, Rooms Executive at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2009

Good Morning Mr. Swanson,

I would like to thank you for your most warm and sincere comments. If is feedback from guests such as yourself that allow us to ensure we are meeting our standards of excellence. I would also like to thank you for your suggestions regarding internet and parking. Please know that we will be discussing these items with our management teams.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Regards,

Edward Boylan

Reviewed March 4, 2009

I agonized over my vacation for a long time. I was brining along a 9 month old baby and a three and a half year old child. We needed sun, relaxation, cleanliness, safety and pampering. We found them all at this hotel.

First of all, this place knows how to treat families with children. The staff is amazing, friendly, helpful. They understand you are a frazzled parent on vacation and they cater to you. I found that even staff who did not have to deal with children were sweet and amazing and they would take time and talk to my children and just amuse them. We opted for the club level service and it was worth every penny. First, the food is delicious, plentiful and ready at all times. There are capuccinos, lattes, snacks, wine, beer and champagne all day long, unlimited (part of the club service). Oh, and hot chocolate too for my child (very important). They clean u p after you, bring things to your table, will store leftover food from lunch and reheat it for your kid's dinner (no questions asked) and jsut be graceful and attentive. I have never found service like that anywhere. Oh yes, if you want to have a snack in your room and drinks after the kids go to bed, they will put together a tray for you to take with you and include wine or champagne (or whatever you want). For adults, there is a free open bar every night (self-serve) with various liquors and mixes. Most importantly, the food is there for you and your family, you don't have to find a restaurant, wait for the order, entertain the kids while waiting for food and leave it unfinished because the kids get antsy.

Second, rooms and the place in general are immaculately clean. So are the swimming pools. There is one for families with warm salt water that had both my kids entertained for hours on end (oh yes, they provide free beach toys for all kids as part of the check-in - a big hit if you don't want to bring shovels and other things like this that take room). They give water, fruit, crackers while you are at the pool. If you are club level, there is a cute cabana at the beach (served by a wonderful staff member from Turkey called Ahmet who really goes beyond his duty to make sure you are happy) that offers daily free drinks, lemonade, fruit and snacks. The beach is very clean, the sand soft, chairs, umbrellas and clean towels provided for (although you have to pay for this but it is worth it). There are water sports and activities if you are so inclined. The park by the beach is amazing, lush green, well maintained, it has an attractive oval shaped field for kids to play and run around. Right in front of the entrance to the hotel there is a large field with a great playground. Local moms were very helpful in telling you where other attractions for children are in the area (don't miss the Crandon beach and train, the light house, the Jungle Island in Miami).

Restaurants - they were not cheap but in line with what you expect for a property of this nature. There are other restaurants nearby (ask the staff, very willing to show you where the bargains are). We tried the Cantina and the in-room service (delicious food and prompt) but again, with club level we really didn't need to spend on food or drinks. The lobby had great sushi, Rumbar had great mojitos and three or four nights in a row there was live Cuban type music.

They have babysitting available (you have to pay for this). We did not try it but our neighbors with a two year old did and liked the sitter. We saw other sitter walking children in strollers around the property and they all seemed very attentive and affectionate.

This is not a property for teenagers though as it is away from action. Also, if you are a couple looking for the South Beach scene, this is not it as the place is quiet and relaxed. We tried the Spa and it was out of this world. My husband still raves about it.

I can;'t think of anything else short that I want to go back because I felt I was really pampered and relaxed from how a vacation should be.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank VBS_Boston
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Stayed there for Valentine's Day weekend. Arrived at 3:30pm, room wasnt ready until 6:30. Room booked was a king oceanfront room. Manager informed us that there were no kings available at 6:30pm but that he would give us a $300 resort compensation and an invitation to come back on them. (this sounded more than fair). So we proceeded to do small plates at every restaurant that they had. Dune (Burger Cafe) was excellent, and the sushi at the lobby bar was excellent. The mexican restaurant and the Italian Restaurant Cioppino were both lacking in service and high quality of food. The beach and grounds are nice but not extraordinary. Unfortunately, the promise of $300 and a welcome back package turned into a $200 credit and no welcome back package.

I would not return to this hotel

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorldSnob55
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I must say I was a bit concerned when I read some of the previous reviews of this resort, but I usually enjoy Ritz Carlton resorts so I deceided to give it a try. Some of what other reviewers seem to have a problem with is the location. It is NOT a Miami resort. It is a Key Biscayne resort. Key Biscayne is a small island south of Miami South Beach. I would describe the island as quiet, quaint, & residential. It is a very small uncommercial island. If you are going to Miami or South Beach to "Party" this is NOT the place for you. It is quite serene. There is an amazing 20,000 square foot spa which is free to all hotel guests. The spa has a gym, steam rooms, saunas, hot tubs, private showers.....very nice & relaxing. There are two swimming pools one is for everyone & the other one is for adults only. The adults only rule is strictly enforced. At the adult pool the staff usually offers complementary fruit at various times during the day. My husband & I booked an ocean view 1 bedroom suite. It had 1 full bathroom, 1/2 bathroom, large living room with sleeper sofa, and large comfortable bedroom. There were large flatscreen tvs in the living room & bedroom. We had one furnished balcony & the bedroom also had a sliding door that opened to a faux balcony so we could hear the ocean as we slept. The housekeeping staff was exceptional. There is twice daily housekeeping/turndown. The valet parking fee is $30 per night. There is no option to park your car yourself. The charge for internet connection is $10 per day. There is free coffee in the lobby in the AM. All of the staff were extremely helpful, in fact the valet parking staff always offered us chilled bottled water when ever we picked up our car. I would highly recommend this resort if you are looking to unwind & relax. We ate at all 3 restaurants & were pleased with all of them. I didn't feel the prices were out of line with this type of property. We had room service once & it was prompt & delicious. Oh, I almost forgot about the beach. The water is pretty clear & calm. It does not however have the same beautiful blue-green hue that South Beach has. As beaches go I prefer South Beach to this one. If you are looking for some R & R this is the place! It is great for couples...I personally wouldn't bring my children here, but my husband & I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetiedahling
Reviewed February 25, 2009

The Ritz Key Biscayne is away from Downtown but a nice place to stay if you don't mind a short taxi ride. I would have to say simply that, hey, it's the Ritz...enough said...

I actually went on a corporate award trip and I loved it. Great place and worth every penny!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach
Nobu Hotel Miami Beach
#2 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!