“Family time at the Ritz and Key Biscayne...”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Family time at the Ritz and Key Biscayne...”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Ritz Carlton we had a one bedroom suite that was privately owned, so I cannot comment on the house cleaning. We have stayed at many other Ritz Carlton hotels as regular guests, and comparatively I think it was less impressive but overall it was a good experience. The first few days we were there we found the service to be good but not total pampering like other hotels, we found . The exception being Carol at the Concierge desk who helped deal with a very bad miscommunication with a babysitting service. She took care of it with grace and understanding, and helped relieve my embarrassment. The pool staff we found to be so-so depending on who was there. Valerie was the true stand out star, who was friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff at the Cantina and Rum Bar were great, but the fact that they force you to give 18% gratuity gets old really fast and annoying especially if you are just getting yourself an iced coffee in the morning that you fix to your own liking, and sometimes was just ok service not worth the 18%. The service at Cioppiano's was completely disappointing especially when all we ordered was dessert and a tea at 10:00 on a Saturday night, but the dessert was delicious. Understandably, it was July 4th weekend, but I felt because of that they were so busy and tired that they lacked the same level of service. Juan Carlos was also so impressive as part of the loss and prevention team. My three year old daughter hurt her eye on July 4th in the afternoon. The hotel was crazy busy with guests and events happening. Juan -Carlos immediatly came to our aid, he found eye wash was patient and when my daugter refused to open her eye and was crying profusely he went and got her a free ice-cream so we could distract her and put her eye wash in her eye. We were even more impressed when he noticed her bug bites and handed us bunch of pads to help with that situation. Then about 30 minutes later he showed up at the beach with sunglasses for her. Finally, when we returned to our suite, he had left the kindest note with free coupons to scoops for her. Now that is the service you expect from all the staff. It was beyond our expectation. Worth paying him an 18% gratuity which we never even got to do because we never found him again (but I think we may call the hotel now to see what we can do now.). The other absolutely must have the hotel offers is the Photo Concierge. We were not expecting much and just thought okay we'll take a few pictures and buy a print or two. We were blown away by Claudia she was super kind, patient, and a great photographer to boot. What we ended up doing was getting a video that we didn't even know she was taking and over 80 pictures we absolutely loved (we have a home-town photographer that is quite impressive and these blow those pictures out of the water. ) Since it wasn't part of our original budget we settled on the 30 digital package, but we couldn't get past 45 pictures no problem the Ritz cut us a deal for the 45 for 30 and the video. So wonderful of them and the kind of service you love getting at a Ritz. Watching the fireworks from the beach and all the events happening on July 4th weekend were quite impressive too. Unfortunately, we did find a few problems too, July 4th weekend it was so over the top busy you could tell the service was just not up to par, the staff while still as always friendly was not always as great. At the beach on July 4th I just couldn't get serviced with even a menu, finally my husband ran upstairs made me some lunch in our kitchenette and brought it down for me. That was about an hour after we had put our flag up for service. Finally, someone noticed us, but it was too late I had already eaten. Also we had to wait to get chairs at the pool because they were at capacity. The hotel was just overwhelmed. The restaurants were packed for dinner and I actually just ordered a burrito to go that made me run to the bathroom 45-60 minutes afterwards not good, especially since I had barely eaten all day. They did offer a 70 dollar bbque but it didn't seem worth it, maybe it would've been better so I wouldn't get sick. Unfortunately July 3rd and for the remainder of the weekend mosquitos came onto the island. Ritz did everything could to lessen them we saw them spraying constantly. However, when we asked for bug spray like many other guests we saw who got them we were told no they didn't provide that. We went to the Win-dixie ourselves and bought some. All weekend, afterward we saw people getting them so it made us feel like we weren't a priority or as important. The other con was the part of the beach that the Ritz retains as part of their property just isn't as nice as the other parts of the beach. Truly Crandon and Billy Baggs parks do a better part of keeping it clean beautiful and they are public parks so that was a little disappointing. Although they really couldn't do anything about the sulfer smell that mother nature brought from the Everglades. Mostly we had a great stay, the island is truly amazing and you should explore it, eat at the restaurants in town because they are wonderful and enjoy the Ritz perhaps not on such a busy weekend. Defintely go to the other parks and enjoy what the rest of the island has to offer, because that is what made our vacation so wonderful. We will for sure return but perhaps we will stay at a private condo for a few days first to save money because the service at times was hit and miss, although I think that was mostly due to the overwhelming business of July 4th weekend. Again, the staff that made it for us were, Carol at Concierge, Juan Carlo through loss and prevention and Claudia and Cheryl at the Photo-Concierge.

Room Tip: You can rent suites cheaper with all the Ritz amenities through VRBO or Homeaway and save some money...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank vanslamma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Miami
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Service and rooms r great! Bad news is the beach smells like a sewer this year! Never had it happen before, but it is definitely a problem! If you like swimming in a dirty toilet join the fun, otherwise, you will be at the pool for your entire stay! Nothing the hotel can do will change the situation (Mother Nature), but the beach is definitely not the place to be! Good luck !

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Dearcosclan
Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I had a great massage with Angel, not for a first time. He is very professional, knowledgeable therapist. I highly recommend him. I love the spa too. Always clean, relaxing, and peaceful environment.
Barbara

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ilofszky
northport, n y
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I agree with other recent reviews..this is not, by far, the best Ritz I've ever stayed at...the rooms are sub par, the beach unusable,no planned activities etc...However the staff is the most incredible staff I have ever encountered...above and beyond to please you in every way...absolutely amazing....stay club level....worth every dime...I hope they do spiff some things up...I will certainly return for a quick getaway from NY just to experience the pampering.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lincolnville, Maine
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm a Miami native who has lived in Maine for the last 24 years. When I return to visit Miami I always try to stay at the Key Biscayne Ritz Carlton and have been staying here for probably 10+ years. We stayed most recently from June 25-28 and had an enjoyable, relaxing and refreshing time. Our main reasons for staying here is it's location - away from the sleekness of downtown Miami/Brickell and the fast pace of Miami Beach - and the wonderful beach, pools and spa. Key Biscayne and the Ritz are laid back and comfortable. The true highlight for me is the men's locker room/sauna/steam room. While I don't get spa treatments I generally go to the men's area to use the steam room and sauna at least once a day. I have not been to a ton of spas but this is the nicest, cleanest, best run spa space I've ever experienced. And the staff, in particular Eduardo, Omar and the younger Eduardo, are EXCEPTIONAL. It had been a good 2 years since my last visit and all 3 remembered me from my previous visits. The made me feel like I was a regular - which felt really good.

We also really enjoy the adult pool area and really appreciate that there is an adult only pool. The set up of the 2 pool areas allow the kids and families to have a great fun space and for adults who don't want to be around kids to have a beautiful quiet space. The beach is also a highlight for us - Bill Baggs State Park to one side and Crandon Park to the other. As a kid growing up in Miami I went to these parks regularly and they've remained as beautiful as I remember. Great beach walking and lots of nature. On Key Biscayne you're in Miami but you're really at a secluded beach. This can't be beat I South Florida.

As far as food options, we really enjoy Dune, Cantina Beach and the Rum Bar. All are casual, relaxing and the food is good. We enjoyed the burgers, mahi burgers and grilled shrimp. We do wish they had a super innovative and interesting high end restaurant. When we want a high end dinner we use this as an opportunity to get out and see more of Key Biscayne. All of the restaurants off site are within walking distance for those who like to walk.

Thank you Ritz Carlton for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2014

A bit tired . Poor restaurant choice in the evenings Monday through Thursday .
Housekeeping poor or non existent . Bar area not clean .
Pool service ( adult pool ) varied from good some days to poor other days . Avoid Mondays which appears to be Staff day off .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

2 Thank Mike S
Tatiana L, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. It is unfortunate to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that your satisfaction is very important to us and would be most grateful for the opportunity to personally speak to you about your overall experience. Please contact the Executive Office at 305 365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to further discuss.

Warm Regards,

Kimberly Wilson
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2014

You can't beat the location: the restaurants on site are on the water or have views of the water and the Key Biscayne area is very quaint. Views to the ocean from the hotel are spectacular.

Like the other Ritz-Carton's I've stayed at, the service was top notch and over-the-top

However, unlike other Ritz-Carlton's where I've stayed, the room furnishings were terrible. I've stayed at JW Marriotts, Renaissance Hotels and regular Marriotts that had significantly nicer rooms. Heck, furnishings and decor in the room we stayed in weren't much better than a Courtyard that was refreshed five years ago. The rooms are sadly in need (desperately in need) of updating.

The gym was also underwhelming: again, other resort style hotels typically have much nicer fitness facilities and this one was far smaller and had less equipment that most of the JW Marriotts I stayed in (which weren't in resort type locations either).

The pool area is beautiful

The service and location are are 5. The fitness center is a 2. The guest rooms are a negative 2. That averages out as a 3 in my estimation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank harleyscubadude
Dear Harleyscubadude,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback of your recent visit on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed the first class service and ocean front restaurants. At the same time we regret that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to discuss them with you directly. Please contact the Executive Office at 305-365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Warm Regards,

City Center
1 Hotel South Beach
1 Hotel South Beach
#8 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!