“You get what you pay for. You get a lot here.”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Connecticut
“You get what you pay for. You get a lot here.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

And I'm sure you pay a lot here. And you get it.

If you are reading reviews of the R-C in KB, either price doesn't matter to you, or your company is paying and price doesn't matter to you. Either way, this place is wonderful.

My company paid for me to stay here 3 nights. First, great location, if being convenient to South Beach is not important. Thin but long, decent beach; two pools; nice gym; and all the gracious common areas you would expect. If you are here for the Sony Open Tennis, it's about a mile away with a shuttle running all day with no traffic. Perfect.

And everytime you turn around you bump into a cheerful employee holding a door, wishing you well, asking to help and otherwise going beyond what they're paid.

My room was large with high ceilings, a kitchenette, a bathroom the size of a bedroom (but no where near the shower to hang a towel...and no where in the shower to put soap...??) with turn-down service and chocolates. Nice.

That said, if they offer you #264, and you want a view of something other than the front driveway, ask for another room.

I had one wonderful breakfast (got the "continental buffet" which is the full buffet minus hot things), a truly memorable seared ahi tuna salad for a lunch, and a tasty mexican scallops dish for dinner at the beachside cantina restaurant.

Again, if you can afford it, or someone else can for you, and you want to be on Key Biscayne, the Ritz fits the bill.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We just returned home last week from another great 9 night stay. We had club level accommodations and the staff could not have been more attentive to our every need. Wilson and his young professionals made our stay thoroughly enjoyable! The food presentations were very good. The staff at the beach were excellent as well. My son did eat at the lobby restaurant and bar a few times and again the staff and food was very good..The only suggestion I have is upon check in we were not offered a room upgrade and we were charged for internet service in the room . As a GOLD rewards member I am always upgraded and the staff usually knows there is no charge for the internet. The desk staff should be made aware of the Gold/ Platinum Ritz carlton status so that the guest does not need to request these things.(Since my spouse had already unpacked , we did not make an issue of this., but in the future it would be nice to be greeted as a return gold member guest..Overall a great stay and we look forward to returning next year at the same time!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We are frequent travelers having been all over the world including The Americas, Europe, Africa and ASIA: the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne

It seems like the general manager is absent or inept because the staff is uncoordinated and badly trained if at all. I come from Los Angeles, and I am staying there with my mother who lives here in Miami and my aunt who is visiting from Italy.

First, the breakfast buffet is sub-par: it looks very small, limited offering and non professional chefs, it could be compared to the "buffet" you find when you go on a college trip to a dinky hotel. Obviously the prices are RITZ CARLTON's prices.

The pool area looks very messy, not very inviting.

We went outside to ask for a taxi and the valet asked us where we needed to go, we said to an island location within Key Biscayne and there it started the UNUSUAL haggling: this valet comes and tells my mother who is in her sixties, with a tone I would not use with my teenage niece, that there is no way we can find a taxi unless we go outside of the island because taxi drivers do not want to drive inside the island. On the other hand... because he was a "good hearted" guy MAYBE he could see if SOMEHOW he could find us a cab... It was clear we had to pay him something so he could do us this FAVOR. Unbelievable! We were so shocked about this type of blackmailing in a $500/night LUXURY hotel that we left on foot. While we were leaving a taxi cab was approaching the hotel and we stopped it, he immediately took us to the location where we wanted to go to.

The overall impression of this very expensive hotel is that there is very little, if any, supervision and training of the hotel staff. Not worth staying here at all.

There are plenty of equally high-end, newer and better run hotels all over Miami. For instance, my cousin and her husband are staying at the Betsy in Miami Beach: centrally located, great service, wonderful room, plenty of restaurants all around, white beach...

In summary this hotel needs to have much more involved management to prevent this CHEAP and TAWDRY activity that my family was UNFORTUNATELY exposed to.

Room Tip: Our room has the view of a roof of what seems to be a large warehouse.
1 Thank bianca d
Rosie S, Executive office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Bianca d,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your feedback about your recent visit. We are very sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to personally speak with you.
Kindly contact the Executive Office at 305-365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This place is what you expect a Ritz-Carlton resort to be. Comfortable, convenient, and very nicely appointed all around. The location is great if you want to be away from the busy Miami streets and simply relax at the beach. The staff, naturally, is very helpful, as you would expect from this kind of facility. But I found them to be excessively nice, if there can be too much of a good thing. I got tired of being asked many times what my name was, where I came from, if I was enjoying my stay, etc. These annoying repetitive questions were asked over and over again. I am quite certain that I will be helped by their wonderful staff whenever I need and seek for help, but I do not want to be disturbed with their incessant interrogation. Kudos to the ladies at the breakfast counter at the bar who limited themselves to a good morning, a smile and fast service, and to Sandra at the beach, with whom WE initiated a conversation. That is enough. Whoever is training these guys went overboard and now has an army excessively “nice” people. I know some people find that this kind of “fake nice” is good. I prefer a more distant attitude. Let's face it, it is all impersonal anyway even if they treat you by your name for the brief moments you are with them. So, turn the chatter and hand shakes down please!

Green Features: They say they have environmentally-friendly practices, but you quickly notice the tremendous waste in excessive packaging when you order meals, the absence of recycling containers in the room or in common areas, to relate a few. There is certainly room to improve.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prof23
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at this hotel and were very impressed. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are great -- very comfortable beds -- modern and oversized bathrooms, great grounds and 2 pools. The employees were all friendly and they were busy as the hotel was sold out due to a tennis tournament. There are 2 things to watch: (1) your wallet as the prices are very high, and, (2) the beach is, well, fair and the chairs could have been more comfortable.

All in all, a great stay, a great hotel, and very well run. Special kudos to Alex, the Concierge, and Alex, the Sous Chef! Chef Alex cooked us our fresh Mahi Mahi that we caught the day before while deep sea fishing, and Alex the Concierge made all of the arrangements for us. Make sure you ask for Alex!

Wien
Reviewed March 25, 2014

At first I have to say that I have been to the place several times in the past and I basicly love this Hotel a lot. The Hotel is very nice and idealy located for the Tennis event we visit each year. But more and more I get the impression, that tey take advantage of the fact that during the tournament the Hotel is full anyway. We paid over $700 per night for a standard double room facing the village and on that side of the building the noise is quite strong. Breakfast and even the umbrellas at the beach where not included. All in all the Hotel needs to be a little refurbished. If you take close look, the cushions are dirty, the chaires chipped, the sunbeds at the beach are horrible and also at the pool you could expect some more space between the chairs and some nicer furniture.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Travelproette,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We truly value your loyal patronage and apologize that this stay did not meet your expectations as in past visits. Your overall satisfaction is very important to us and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to personally speak to you about the issues and concerns. Please contact the Executive Office at 305-365-4500, at your convenience should you wish to further discuss.
virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a five night stay. The weather was beautiful and the hotel and staff were most accommodating. Upon arrival we were thrilled when the front desk granted my request for a room upgrade. We are Rewards members and were using points for the bulk of our stay.

From the concierge to the housekeeping staff, we were impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff. I special "shout out" to Omar in the mens spa. My husband said Omar has a way of making you feel like you are the most special guest at the Ritz. That means a lot considering we were there with all the tennis celebs in town for the Sony Open!

Is it expensive? Yes. But frankly, it is the Ritz Carlton so you should have a clue before you book this type of luxury hotel. Overall, a wonderful stay and we would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
City Center
1 Hotel South Beach
1 Hotel South Beach
#9 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!