“Great Expectations - Great Disappointment”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Having stayed at numerous Ritz Carlton hotels throughout the US we had great expectations for this one in Key Biscayne. It is a lovely property and the hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. There is an adult pool and a family pool so if you are looking for piece and quiet, you have an option, so long as you can tollerate the frequent sound of a grounds keeper using their gas powered leaf blower. There is a "mexican" restaurant by the family pool. The food, while of acceptable quality was certainly not authentic and overpriced, like the drinks on the property. Be prepared for a cocktail to cost USD15 plus tax and 18% tip. I cannot tell you about the hamburger restaurant, because it was closed (without notice) for the last 3 days of our 4 day stay. When you pay $399 per night plus tax, I expect all the advertised amenities to be available, Especially when there are only 3 dining options available on the property. As much as I was disappointed with the property, it is worth repeating that the staff were terrific!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the property and the water. We had a room in the middle o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear BBTraveler57,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad that our Ladies and Gentlemen were able to provide you with the type of attentive service that you have come to expect from a Ritz-Carlton. I apologize however that there were certain aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations and I would be most appreciative for the opportunity to discuss them with you directly. Please contact the Executive Office at 305 365 4500, at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

We hope that you will visit our island oasis in Miami again one day soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We once again had a wonderful visit here. From the time we arrived until the time we left the staff were looking out for us, making sure that we were happy with our stay and letting us know about the special activities occurring at the hotel in case we were interested.

The pool and facilities are kept in incredible condition and you will never have to deal with any problems at the property.

This is our second stay here and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view -- heaven.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Good location nice grounds lobby was pleasing.... That is about the only good thing ----- rooms are smelly carpet was not vacuumed and was very dirty, moldings were dusty and dirty!! ... Linens were clean is the only saving grace! .. If all you want to do is pass out and sleep it off you may not mind... But then you can do that somewhere else more more economically!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HeyPaula75
Rosie S, Executive office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear HeyPaula75,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Trip Advisor. Please know we take our guest’s feedback extremely seriously, and use it improve our resort and the experiences that we provide to our guests. We would be most grateful for the opportunity to discuss these directly with you. Please contact the Executive Offices at 305 365 4500, at your convenience, so that we may address your concerns further.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have stayed at this property several times as couple or with family and we always had a great time. The location is incredible and the property is expansive. Activities abound and food is good. The beach is a dream and the fact that Miami is just across the channel it is a plus.

It is true that the property needs some cosmetic medicine, but otherwise a great place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TonicTravelAmeniti
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This property has aged but is still well kept. I think the best quality of this hotel is the service: all staff is courteous, and willing to accommodate.
I am pleasantly surprised to see many families with young children from oversea.
Although the food is overprized as some reviewers has mentioned, there are ways to enjoy this hotel without being ruined:
- Breakfast: Instead of ordering just plain fresh fruit juice I ordered fresh orange+pineapple+strawberries and I was charged a regular fruit juice. It came as 2 full cups of smoothies (without yogourt) and was charged only 6$ - the price of a fruit juice
- Dinner: I was not very hungry but wanted to try 2 plates to the Cioppino restaurant gladly accepted that I ordered a half order of seafood sphaghetti (13$) and a half order of Cioppino (19$). For that price I think this was the best quality-cost Cioppino I have ever had, with a giant gambas deliciously cooked (see picture). The broth was sophisticated, rich and tasty. It was so delicious that I had to re-order the second evening.

Accommodating staff:

- Upon check in I was given a room that I did not like (parking view). Although the price I paid was for a very basic room, the check in staff went beyond his duty to change to a better room for me
- I came back very late on the second night and called the restaurant before the closing time to order food to pick up before going to my room. I arrived 45 min after the restaurant was closed but they waited for me and timed the cooking of the Cioppino so that it stayed hot until came. The staff even provided silver utensils and a large plate to eat in my room.
- My little coffee machine was broken and I called down to check if they have complimentary coffee downstairs. The lady said that they will send up complimentary coffee with my fruit juice that I ordered. They also surprised me with 2 huge complimentary madeleines with the coffee.

All in all, it was a very good stay and I will certainly come back if I have an opportunity.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not assigned a "Parking view"
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Had the pleasure of spending a week at this property in June 2013. We without hesitation strongly recommend this property if you are vacationing with children of ALL ages because to hotel makes things very easy for you.

If you are an older couple traveling sans children, there are plenty of ways to relax, don't be fearful that you'll be laying by the pool listening to children playing loudly all day...this property has an Adult ONLY pool as well...

The only disadvantage is that you really do want to have a car if you want to experience the good restaurants in Miami Beach or Brickell because you are on an island or Key.

Cyclists and runners will enjoy this property as well because there are SO many places to explore.

Room Tip: We got booked into a 'Ocean view room' for just a little bit more but perhaps because it was...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

How anyone can spend a weekend in this hotel and give it 1 star baffles me. From the minute you arrive, you are spoiled to the extreme. Nothing is a problem for the staff and the accommodation is first class. I spent the weekend at the pool and it was great. I will visit this hotel any chance I get to be in Miami....wonderful.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach
Nobu Hotel Miami Beach
#2 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!