“Mostly As good as expected”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel is your classical Ritz Carlton with the added benefit of a superb location on the sea. This property has many (small) options for upgrade.... we were upgraded to a room at a higher floor with better view of the island.... but still no sea view..... everyone upon arrival was super courteous, as expected.... room was impeccable. At this property there are kids..... everywhere except at the adults pool. Food options were Okay. nothing super great!!! the breakfast buffet @ $30 a pop it was an expected price for the Ritz.... the cheff preparing the omelettes to taste was Excellent.... yes a simple task like that.... was done with lots of care and attention to the guests requests to an extend that the whole procedure was "Excellent" the rest of the food assortment at breakfast was very good.... not outstanding... had options for bread without glutten.... Celians should appreciate this .... later we went to check out the Sunday Brunch buffet.... @ $115 per person.... we expected to be woawed... we weren't but don't take me wrong.... the assortment was very good.... included the breakfast stations..... plus plenty of seafood and some antipasti..... outside the gardens are perfectly manicured.... the central area there were kids kicking a soccerball between the family and adult pools...... at the family pool there was a mexican eatery with a gelato stand on the adults side a more contemporary food offering....... once at the beach attentive staff would set up chairs with towels for you to relax but if you choose to have an umbrella.... $20 will be charged to your room.... this felt like a "cheap" one..... really include the chairs but not the umbrella??? really?.... anyways going to a Ritz you always expect to "get nailed" one way or the other..... like Valet parking at a mere $35 a day (unlimited in and outs) beware of the pillows at the rooms.... they are too fluffy, really no support at all... we called and requested regular foam pillows and 3 hours later nothing had been delivered.... I went to front desk to ask for them again and the person that took care of it asked us how many... we replied 3 and hours later when we were back at our room found just 2... what happened to the third??? Teh bed is super comfy if you like the ultra plush, pillow top type... beware due to the softness of the top the bottom sheet will be wrinkled under you in no time.... All in all we would stay there ONLY because of the Amex Platinum benefits which include $100 credit, Late check out, Room Upgrade and breakfast for 2. otherwise we would seek other options....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,130)

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here with my wife and children during our florida trip. We got upgraded to an amazing 2-bedroom suite with a beautiful view and plenty of space. The kids simply loved it. Pool areas are very clean and kid-friendly as well as the beach. The 9th floor Lounge was OK but nothing more than that. Nice detail is that those who have lounge access also have a 'mini-lounge' cabana between the beach and the pool with complimentary refreshments all day long. Although some things went very wrong during my stay (i got a bill of another customer under my door, ac broke down and serious problems with bed in master bedroom) I expressed my concerns about these unpleasant surprises and the front office manager apologized and made a commercial gesture which I appreciated a lot. Next time we'll be back here for a longer stay: of the 8 florida hotels we stayed during this trip it was my childrens favourite!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ralph613mits
Reviewed August 4, 2013

In had never stayed in a Ritz before but several people said the service would be amazing. It was ok. Geo, the doorman was exceptional. Because of a lack of taxis, he drove me to and from dinner one night. I didn't rent a car (both rental and Ritz parking fees were very expensive). There were a number of restaurants within walking distance (.5-1 mile) and the walk was pleasant. Everything on the island is a bit pricy.

Hotel was fine. Service generally the same as I find anywhere. I had to hunt for ice (no machines), and felt that inwas sneaking into a staff area to get it each day. I went to a tennis clinic each day. Low attendance, and not as strong as I would have expected. Mostly regulars, which surprised me. Food at the Dunes outdoor restaurant was good, and I ate lunch there each day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear CarolMemphis4,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your feedback about your recent visit. We are very sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to personally speak with you. Kindly contact the Executive office at 305-365-4500, at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I met our son from Las Vegas here for a quick 4 night get away. The resort is beautiful. We had an oceanfront room and the view was great. Pools were very clean and the restaurants were very good. Remember this isa Ritz, so a little pricey, but worth every penny. The staff were extremely nice. Gino, the bartender was ablast to talk to. If you need anything, ask him. He will not stear you wrong. We have stayed in other hotels in and around Miami, but this is by far the best.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Not like the other Ritz Carlton's...parts were run down and the staff was not friendly. My masseuse was annoyed with me that I had sunblock on and that I had a cough. Other than that, the main restaurant was good and the gym was nice. Sitting on the beach was very relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaneyB76

Dear LaneyB76,

Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you are in the Miami area but want so still have peace and solitude then this is the place for you. Very good amenities and a beautiful private beach. The have a very nice gourmet brunch at their onsite restaurant. They also have a wonderful spa. If you stay at this hotel you will need to rent a car because the hotel is quite a distance from the Miami action and there is not much in walking distance to the resor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my family`s 4th stay. I always forget why I choose a different hotel when we decide to stay in Miami this time of the year, but every few years we forget and end up staying at the Ritz in Key Biscayne. Of course the property has a prime location at Key Biscayne´s Ocean front. But the service has gone really down. So when you look for a hotel in Miami with a beach try other hotels along Collins Avenue. If you insist with the Ritz Carlton, expect a 4 star Marriott service. Plus during July-August bring along lots of mosquito repellent!! And make sure you look after your belongings when you are in public areas!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Padelis P
Rosie S, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Padelis P,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your feedback about your recent visit. We are very sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and would be most appreciative for the opportunity to personally speak with you. Kindly contact the Executive office at 305-365-4500, at your convnienice, should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Key Biscayne
City Center
W South Beach
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!