“Expect little and youll be OK”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As a Platinum Premier stayed using 100,000 points for two days. Don't expect much and then you won't be disappointed. We were given a parking lot view room. The biggest thing I can say is I'm not sure what makes this a Ritz over a JW or even standard Marriott. I noticed no increase in service anywhere on the property. I don't expect a great deal of service , but I think I would recognize it staying over 100 nights per year in Marriott hotels. In fact I would say service was slightly less than most JWs. Again facility was nice , but very average for any ocean side Marriott anywhere in the system let alone a Ritz Carlton. If you don't mind paying the high prices and rates of being here without anything extra in return, then the basic facilities will be fine.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anthonyddolce
Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

First off this hotel has no integrity among its staff. Meaning they are thieves there. I am a U.S. Marine veteran and take integrity very seriously. I am also a well-traveled businessman who always stays at Marriott hotels. Mostly J.W., Renaissance, and Springhill. So I decided to use 100,000 of my points to check out this hotel and Key Biscayne with my wife and 3 kids (under 4). This was the first destination before I went on to Marco Island. The problem started on my first night. I set down my wedding ring on the nook table while getting ready to go eat. It turns out that I left my ring on the table when we headed out for the restaurant. Upon our return from dinner my ring was not on the table. There was, however, a pitcher of milk and cookies on the nook table. Our beds were also turned (typical for the Ritz). We had 3 different staff members enter our room just while we were at dinner. Now I'm all about good service but when my belongings turn up missing while I'm out eating and my suite door has become revolving, I'd rather have no service. So, I told the front desk the next day that my ring went missing in my room. They took down my info and were doing to check around and pass onto Loss Prevention. Well, our last day I checked out and asked again if they heard anything on my ring. They didn't even have the information that I provided previously. So, I provided it again. I get to Marco Island and decide to fill out the survey they sent by email. Well, that got me a call from Mike of Loss Prevention. They then started an investigation. Mike calls me a week later to let me know that the investigation is still going on. I return his call and send numerous email and never get a response. Finally I talk to someone else at Loss Prevention who says that Mike is on a leave of absence and they wouldn’t discuss why. They took my name for someone to get back to me. Well that was 4 days ago. I still have no response. I did get a letter today in the mail from them, basically a nasty-gram, saying under the Florida State Law they are not liable for the loss/theft of my ring. I wouldn't recommend this shady hotel to anyone. Out of all the hotels, I thought that this one would be trust worthy with honest staff. A place where if I left something out, the staff wouldn't steal it. I won’t even go into the other issues I had at the front desk. My advice is to stay away from this hotel, stay somewhere else.
-Eddie (USMC)

Room Tip: Find a different hotel to stay at
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank EddieT03
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It was oh so hard to leave the leave the Ritz after spending 6 days and 5 wonderful nights there. The entire staff lets you know that their guests are their #1 priority. Everyone was extremely attentive, very professional and they consistently ask "is there anything else I may assist you with". Quite possibly in the Top 5 of best service we've ever had. The hotel, grounds and beach are beautiful. The architecture has been very thoughtfully planned and walking from the hotel outside toward the beach, you'll feel like you're viewing a live cover of Conde Nast Traveler.

We spent most of our time at the beach, enjoying the sound of the waves. The mojitos are heavenly! The family pool area was quite noisy with the sound of blenders at Cantina restaurant & bar right next to it. The adult pool was quiet and lovely. The hotel provides sunblock at the pool in 30, 50 and 70 SPF, as well as moisturizer and large dispensers of iced, fresh water flavored with berries and fruit. A very nice touch indeed.

We didn't eat at the Italian restaurant. Lunch at the mexican restaurant was okay, nothing special. My favorite restaurant at the hotel was the Dunes which is located at the waterfront and is very relaxing. The menu there seems to offer healthier options and everything we tried was DELICIOUS. Hubby had the Nicoise salad with grilled mahi mahi and it was perfect. My favorite lunch (had it twice) was the melon with serrano ham, parmesan cubes and balsamic vinegar with a nicely chilled glass of Prosecco.

This was our first trip to Key Biscayne and we really fell in love with the area. The Ritz Carlton is very conveniently located within walking distance to shops, restaurants, scooter/golf carts/bike rentals and parks. We enjoyed walking to the different squares for a casual, reasonably priced, delicious lunch. Stefano's liquor store has a great wine selection. Off property we had a fabulous dinner at Costa Med. Had a so-so dinner at Rusty Pelican but it offers a gorgeous night skyline view of Miami. PHOTO OPP!

Our room was very nicely updated and of generous size. There isn't much storage for your clothing and belongings in the main cabinet/dresser. Just 2 or 3 small drawers. The rest of it is taken up by media storage, coffee maker, etc. The bedside tables have deep drawers so you can store some clothing in there if necessary. The only negative comment I really had about the room was the bathroom. There is a half-moon counter surrounding the sink and 2 itty bitty 1/4 moon glass shelves above the counter. There is really no where to store your toiletries, except on the bathroom counter and the space is minimal. So everything looked messy and kept getting wet. The shower is very tiny and there is a separate tub so it was better than having a tub/shower combo. Also, there is no fan in the bathroom, which seemed to be an issue with the men. The entire bathroom area is a nice size.

For part of our stay at the Ritz we were with a large group. The last 2 days we were on our own. We were treated exceptionally well both ways. The Ritz does cater to large groups and conventions which may cause inconvenience to individual travelers. For instance, the beach was reserved for our group the entire time we were there. They would also close off certain areas such as pools and restaurants for private group cocktail parties & dinners. This happened on a daily basis. And on the last night of our group stay, a lavish outdoor concert & dinner was staged on the Grand Lawn which is located outside, directly in the center of the property, and I would say the majority of rooms face that area. If I was a weary traveler, I would not have appreciated the noise. Thankfully I was part of the group and having fun.

The food and beverages were delicious. The prices are what you would expect to pay at an upscale hotel. Very expensive. But all of that attention and pampering comes at a cost. You only live once so go for it. There are many affordable, off property options for meals.

Room Tip: We had a "partial ocean view" on the 8th floor that overlooked the fountains and grand law...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JanetKC
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful hotel, secluded from the Miami nightlife & small quaint beach. We enjoyed our short stay here but can get quite expensive. $20 Mojitos were very good but costly after a few. :)
Would definitely go back, rooms were comfortable & spacious. Have Gino the Bartender, make you one of his crazy concoctions, best around!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sara R
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were a bit weary of coming here as it is 20 minutes away from downtown Miami but it is definitely worth the drive. The service here is unsurpassable and the beach is beautiful. The rooms are clean too. The only real downside is the value for money. A MUST GO!

Room Tip: Pick a room with ocean view, its worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mattfromdubai
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife. This hotel is great. Large rooms, updated with large bathrooms and balcony. Great location in Key Biscayne away from the hustle and bustle. Great walks with good nearby restaurants all within walking distance.
We did not eat at the hotel. Reviews on TripAdvisor from previous guests were not very flattering about the food.

Gardens are beautiful and the beach goes on forever. There are several pools and one reserved for adults only.

Service is friendly and very helpful

So what's not to like?

Paying for WiFi when the room rate is $660 per night.
$32 per day for Valet parking ( there was no other choice ).Just felt they were nickel and diming me for extras that should be included in the room rate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tokalosh
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in November. The rooms are huge and offer great views. We loved the rum bar and the italian resteraunt very much. The Spa is very nice and they have very excellent therapists. Went for a massage every day. The only draw back is you are much away from South Beach. This place is for people who want to be in a recluse environment.

• Stayed: November 2012
City Center
W South Beach
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!