“Beautiful, Quiet, Secluded Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Key Biscayne
Reviewed March 19, 2008

The Ritz-Carlton, Key Biscayne, is a beautiful resort hotel in a quiet, secluded area in an exclusive island community just minutes from downtown Miami. My partner and I were looking for a nice, quiet place to recharge for a few days. The Ritz-Carlton, Key Biscayne met all of our needs. We stayed in a club-level room and enjoyed the perks of the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program. However, because it was a busy week, we weren't upgraded to a more expensive room. We used the wonderful spa for massages and enjoyed each of the hotel's three restaurants. Service and facilities were all what one would expect from a high-end hotel. If you're looking for a quiet place to reenergize, I highly recommend it. Tip: you might consider renting a car if you stay there. There isn't a lot to do at the hotel after hours.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gaymntraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed March 16, 2008

If you are looking for the typical first class Ritz experience, forget this hotel.......we were looking for a nice winter getaway with the typical high class Ritz experience. When we got there, it was overloaded with families with "little" children everywhere....all under 5 years old. It reminded us of Disney World. There are two pools, one supposedly for adults, but the children find their way over there as well and the pool staff says nothing!!!! A big disappointment, however, the spa was great. The staff was just so-so,,,,not very helpful. Didn't seem to have much training as they do in other Ritz properties. Will not return.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank rv0805
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My boyfriend and I needed to get away to spend some time together and Miami, because of its easy access and weather, was the perfect choice last October. We first thought we would end up in Key West but there were bigh celebrations that weekend and there were no rooms available. I therefore had to do some research... South Beach, based on previous stays and other guests reviews, always seem noisy, cramped and overprice. Even though the Ritz-Carlton is something a bit too "blue hair" for us, we decided to give the Key Biscayne one a try. The reviews were good, the value appeared to be there and we liked the idea of seclusion provided by the island just off Miami. Everything was as one would expect from a R-C property and thanks to the AmEx Fine Hotels & Resorts Program, we were upgraded to an oceanview suite, enjoyed complimentary breakfast, late check out and a great lunch at the cabana (?). The beach is nice enough and there is not much to do there... still the fitness center was great and we just enjoyed the comfort of the property. We had an exquisite dinner under a full moon ( they have a special menu those nights) at the R-C restaurant one night. I was glad to see the R-C trying to be more hip (white beddings instead of heavy fabric, contemporary flower arrangements).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HSTraveler70
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I'm a total Ritz Carlton fan. I was directed to stay at the Ritz Key Biscayne after talking to the club level hosts at the ritz carlton grande lakes. they strongly recommended it as a great hotel for miami beach area. We booked a club room and the hosts were A1 the entire time. But I did have some issues with the old school zenith televisions located in the rooms. i'm not saying that you have to go with flat panel televisions but at least upgrade from a zenith. also the middle elevator was not working properly for the 9th floor club level. I was told by the front desk "that is was having issues." And how could i forget the 2 missed wake up calls on consecutive days during our stay which lead my coworker to say "even a holiday inn won't miss a wake up call." the ritz did step up big and gave us a credit for all of our hassles. I guess i just felt bad b/c i hyped up the service and quality of the ritz to my coworker who had never stayed at one. club level made up for the mishaps and they were quite apologetic. I will remain a ritz guy and will still recommend this hotel as well as others.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Ritz in Key Biscayne. While the property was beautiful, we were disappointed in the service compared to other 5-star hotels we have stayed at.

Since it was a busy time of year (Valentine's Day, President's weekend, school vacations), the hotel was 100% booked, and you could tell that it impacted their ability to deliver top service. At most meals, we felt that we were always waiting for our waiter to take our order, refill our glass, or deliver our check. The facilities also seemed strained by the full capacity - there are 2 pools on the property (one for families, one for adults), and by 9am, all of the chairs at both pools were taken... guests would start putting the towels down at 6am, and the pool staff didn't do anything to discourage this practice. Neither my husband or I were willing to wake up early to reserve the chairs, so we ended up sitting on the beach and waiting for space at the pool to open up.

Although the location on the beach was beautiful, we will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne060
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past 2 years. (My first time was during Katrina!)

I love this hotel! Yes, it is expensive. Yes, things are not always perfect. But, I love it. The staff is very nice and helpful. When things have gone wrong, they have been exceptional in correcting them. During Katrina, the hotel bent over backwards to keep everyone happy and calm. They sent a platter of cookies to our room for the kids and turned one of the conference rooms into a "game and movie" room to keep them entertained during the storm. Most recently, I checked in and somehow I was given a room that had a bad odor from the guests prior to me. When they realized the issue, they were horrified and immediately upgraded me to a HUGE suite.

I love gorgeous lobby and beautiful flowers. I love the pool and the beautiful views. I love the spa. I love sitting on the terrace in the restaurant for breakfast and gazing at the sea. I love the entertainment in the lobby at night.
Most of all.....I love the TENNIS!! If you are a tennis players, this is the hotel for you! The Cliff Drysdale Tennis Center is awesome. There are daily clinics, as well as private lessons available.

One last comment, be sure to bring a stack of dollar bills for tipping. You will hear the staff constantly saying to you - "My pleasure" - and you will want to tip for their courtesy.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank Sandy0919
Reviewed February 7, 2008

Luxury all the way. no complaints at all. Great service, facilites, rooms.
The only thing is it is expensive to get to south beach by taxi - about 50$ one way as I recall. I think they should offer a complimentary shuttle as this is the only 'must do' in the area.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
W South Beach
#16 of 212 in Miami Beach
Nobu Hotel Miami Beach
#2 of 212 in Miami Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami? Share your experiences!